Sign in to follow this  
ap1

Using the default 737-800 IFR in FSX

I've flown in FSX for some time and would like to move on to the 737 and IFR.  I'm kind of stuck on what I should be doing to fly the 737.  I also would like to know about SIDS and STARS and if I can use them in FSX with the default 737.  Thanks.

If you are confident in your flying skills then take the plunge and set up an IFR flight from Point A to point B and let  ATC be your guide through Ground Control at your airport to takeoff and climb to your cruise altitude.  This will includes turns, altitude changes, radio frequency changes to different ATC centers, aprroaches and towers.  You can have ILS approaches and/or visual approaches to your destination runway.

Oh, the life of an airline pilot!  In a typical 2 hr. flight....20 minutes of stark terror..1hr. and 40 minutes of boredom!

You might try the lessons and tutorials in your FSX.  The "Secret Shuttle Mission" is a perfect example of flying the 737-800 from Las Vegas, Nevada to the base at Area51.

You are IFR all the way!

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi thanks for the reply.  That I guess are the basics.  Now if I can get that stuff down, is it possible to fly with SIDS and STARS in default aircraft.  If not, I guess that's OK. Thanks again.

Hi thanks for the reply.  That I guess are the basics.  Now if I can get that stuff down, is it possible to fly with SIDS and STARS in default aircraft.  If not, I guess that's OK. Thanks again.

I don't use SIDS and STARS but I think it's possible with the default aircraft.  If it doesn't work, there are tons of freeware aircraft to download and use the work.

Charlie Aron

AVSIM Board of Directors-Moderator-Registrar

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

SIDs aren't possible with the default GPS. As for STARs, I couldn't be too sure, but I seem to recall you could select an approach via the default GPS. At that point, you'd be better off getting a plane with an FMC.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

I learnt to fly IFR with Rod Machado on FS2002. I think he went on to FS2004 as well, but I don't know who's the "teacher" on FSX

I recommend you to follow the "training program" that comes within FSX. It's a good place to start. Obviously you won't finish it being an IFR-pro, but you'll have some basic knowledge on which to keep working.

Also, try learning IFR on something slower than a 737. The default Beech 58 is great for example, nice and slow so that you have the time to change frequencies, intercept radials and so on.

Of course it is! As long as they are not RNAV (that is, as long as they can be flown with the basic IFR instruments).

You want to learn IFR using NDB, VOR and ILS. Nothing else, don't jump right into the GPS, the CDI/HSI is your friend!

SIDs aren't possible with the default GPS. As for STARs, I couldn't be too sure, but I seem to recall you could select an approach via the default GPS. At that point, you'd be better off getting a plane with an FMC.

OP is asking about learning IFR and you tell him to get a plane with an FMC?

Come on guys! OP needs to learn the BASICS. He'll have time for an FMC or 737 later on when he knows how to fly IFR with the Cessna 172 (with standard instruments, not the G1000)

Jaime Beneyto

My real life aviation and flight simulation videos [English and Spanish]

System: i9 9900k OC 5.0 GHz | RTX 2080 Super | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | Asus Z390-F

OP is asking about learning IFR and you tell him to get a plane with an FMC?

The question I was responding to was the following.

Now if I can get that stuff down, is it possible to fly with SIDS and STARS in default aircraft.

I assumed there was no need to respond to the initial post since somebody else already responded to it in detail and the response was subsequently acknowledged. So no, I am not telling him to learn IFR in a plane with an FMC, but once he gets the hang of it and starts going into SIDs and STARs, he can do so.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

The question I was responding to was the following.

I assumed there was no need to respond to the initial post since somebody else already responded to it in detail and the response was subsequently acknowledged. So no, I am not telling him to learn IFR in a plane with an FMC, but once he gets the hang of it and starts going into SIDs and STARs, he can do so.

Okay, if that's so, I apologize for overreacting :)

Jaime Beneyto

Alpha Floor thanks.  I'll try starting with lessons in FSX and use the Cessna or something.  Now most likely once I get the basics down it's very unlikely that I'll buy an FMC.  To me FMCs are not important and that's why my question was about the default GPS and default 737. I'm more of a causal user in FSX but would like to fly IFR and have some fun.  Oh and sorry this is off topic, but what traffic settings should I use in FSX?  I don't like that sometimes I have to go around.

Alpha Floor thanks.  I'll try starting with lessons in FSX and use the Cessna or something.  Now most likely once I get the basics down it's very unlikely that I'll buy an FMC.  To me FMCs are not important and that's why my question was about the default GPS and default 737. I'm more of a causal user in FSX but would like to fly IFR and have some fun.  Oh and sorry this is off topic, but what traffic settings should I use in FSX?  I don't like that sometimes I have to go around.

Well, that's up to you, but just bear in mind you won't be able to use SIDs with the default GPS. Not really too sure about STARs. In any case, the waypoints that come with the simulator are way outdated, although if you do not fly online on VATSIM, this would be irrelevant.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Sounds like you want to learn to fly jets, like the B737 in FSX (B737-800), but you don't think FMCs are "not important."  It also seems you're making a direct correlation between jets and IFR.

You can learn IFR flying on your Cessna 172 or other general aviation airplanes as long as they have the minimum set of instruments required (you fly the airplane using instruments on your panel, and you navigate the aircraft with signals being received by another set of instruments).  I also suggest to follow the IFR lessons in FSX.  It will show you how to fly IFR in FSX.  You could also learn from a book such as this one.  

Clearly you can fly a B737-800 without an FMC, and in FSX everything is possible.  In real life, you couldn't legally fly a B737-800 for commercial purposes without a copilot.  It's too complex, especially if you try to fly optimally.  The FMC is the "helper" instrument that allows you to fly a B737-800 "optimally" while significantly reducing the level of complexity and raising safety of flight.  Now, wouldn't it be cool to learn how?

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

SIDs aren't possible with the default GPS

That's correct, but he can fly non-rnav SID/STAR with standard equipment.

@OP: I would say,

1.know your aircraft - important speeds (Vs, V1, Vr, V2, Vmo, Vref, Mmo, flaps speeds...), cruising speeds and altitudes (especially when you do not have FMC to calculate it automatically); Position of switches, and buttons; functionality of autopilot - how to efficiently use it; Instrument functions - what every instrument do and why is important; default GPS - learn all functions and how to use it.

2. IFR navigation - be IFR proficient. You can practice that even in default C172. Learn how to use VOR/ADF/DME equipment, and learn standard maneuvers - ILS approach, holdings, procedure turns, changing radials, DME ARCs...

3. Reading charts and maps - flight planning - rules of thumb (top of descend calculation for example)

4. Disregard virtual ATC, unless you want to join some virtual ATC network. 

Of course, learn it gradually, apply new knowledge to your flights. Flying routes with default 737 is more difficult than with lets say PMDG one - just a fact you will fly routes using rudimentary techniques will keep you busy for good portion of flight. It can be done, it's fun, and it's great insight how aviation looked like few decades ago.

SAX702 I get what you mean but I'm more of a casual person in FSX and do want to fly IFR in jets but don't want to take it too far where it's very complicated.  Basically what I like to do is get up in the air and fly.  But of course with some realism and with waypoints as such.

SAX702 I get what you mean but I'm more of a casual person in FSX and do want to fly IFR in jets but don't want to take it too far where it's very complicated.  Basically what I like to do is get up in the air and fly.  But of course with some realism and with waypoints as such.

From reading your answers I really don't know how to help you. You say you're a casual flyer who wants to get up in the air and fly (which is perfectly fine). But then you say you want to fly jets in IFR rules with realism.

That's contradictory.

If you just wanna fly: Fly VFR with general aviation aircraft. And if you're dying to fly the 737 do it as well. It's not too orthodox but in theory a PPL with a type rating on a 737 could buy one and fly it VFR just for fun (of course I don't think nobody in the world does it, but "in theory", it could be done. Even John Travolta holds an ATPL and flies his 707 IFR).

If you want to fly in a realistic manner (and you cannot fly with "some" realism, either you fly realistically or you don't) then you'll have to learn IFR. And learning IFR involves learning what g_precentralis told you on point 2: Radio-aids, IFR instrumentation, IFR procedures etc...

Jaime Beneyto

Ok let me try to explain.  I want to fly IFR mostly with GPS and if possible I could add the SID and STAR waypoints.  I kind of want to use the ATC built into FSX too.  So the main thing is I want to use GPS for IFR and no FMC.  I hope that clears things up.