Sign in to follow this  
oqvist

Future of the FS Franchise...

Not a grudge. Read the last sentence of secton A. Very simple, understandable and one which Francois knows very well. He used to enforce it here and it has been our policy for seven or eight years, and it is one which you agreed to when you signed up to our forums and tacitly agree to as you continue to use our forums. If you don't agree with the policy, then all I can suggest is that you not participate here.

Guest Derek D

Well I can tell you right now if it comes out on X-Box I won't be buying it. The consequences for the majority of the FS community would be disasterous: no (easy) way to get add-ons, dumbed-down controls and peripherals, and largely inferior graphics (most TVs run at 640x480 FYI, and the video card in the X-Box is several year old technology).In addition to these things if MS were to focus on making the next FS multiplayer oriented then everyone would need to pay for the X-Box live subscription, whereas on the PC this could potentially be a free service.Of course we are jumping the gun by suggesting MS is planning on using the X-Box, but I just hope the MS team keeps my points in mind before it's too late ;-).Derek D.

I find it interesting that some folks are interpreting this job announcement to read that MS will only be developing for XBox. Given the statement in the job announcement of:"We have an ambitious, multi-version strategy...."That says to me that indeed they may well be building a version for XBox (no news in that - why wouldn't they?). But it also tells me that they are continuing their PC product as well. Common sense tells me that they would not shoot the golden goose (the PC varient). To draw any other conclusion is most likely great reading in this and other forums, but not too good for your blood pressure. :)

Okay thanks for the response Tom.So xxxxxsim and avsim has this policy. xxxflight apparently not. No other forums seem to have this policy or at least not enforce it so is it really needed? Is there a cold war going on?I find it odd because I am at commercial forums which are 1000 times larger than this and they don

It's rather interesting to see how my initial post, which was strictly intended to demonstrate that - contrary to the "wild rumors" that have been advanced here and elsewhere - MS quite obviously intends to not only continue the FS Franchise, but in fact are intending to expand it in as yet undisclosed direction, has "devolved" into yet another round of completely unfounded "wild rumors" once again... ;)I guess that simply illustrates instead the propensity of any group of people to indulge themselves with "backyard gossip..." :-beerchug

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

That's not the operative clause in this case. Read the last sentence of Clause A. That's the operative clause. :)

Guest Murmur2k

Well I personally think they will definately release a 64bit version - thats what the statement might mean.As for the consoles...Anyone heard of the Xbox 2? It will most likely be a whole lot more powerful than the PC you are using right now. Rumours/Leaks are as follows:"The Xbox CPU will be a multi-core processor based on IBM

Guest Derek D

Well fair enough, but is that not the purpose of the thread? I don't think anyone would just read the news tidbit and not have any thoughts about it.As I said in my own post, it is jumping the gun to assume anything, but I was merely offering a "what if..." situation if they switched over to the X-Box. No need to be patronizing :-roll.Derek D.

in regards to the XBOX being old technology ... please consider the technology in XBOX 2 and 3 ..

My best guess is that over the next couple of versions, FS will move to a server-client model, the servers being provided by MS, or any third party, providing terrain, scenery, weather, effects, etc., on a central server(s), and logging in with a (free) local client, and paying a subscription. This presumes the ubiquity of bigger broadband pipes to handle the bandwidth.But just a best-guess . . .-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net