Sign in to follow this  
kylezangel

SAAB Gripen

Hi there everyone

I've been looking around for a SAAB Gripen for FSX and I've managed to find one from Alphasim and another from FlyFreeStd. From what I can tell, FlyFree's VC looks better than Alphasims. This is one of the most important aspects of an aircraft for me. 

Can anyone give their opinions on which is better? Here is a link for reference

simMarket: FLYFREESTD - SAAB JAS 39 GRIPEN FSX

Cheers

Kyle Z

There is no good Gripen worth money on the market at the moment. And since the Gripen is still largely classified aircraft, I don't think we're going to see one anytime soon. 

Looking at that link you posted, they would have to torture me to get me paying for this. It looks like a joke from FS2002 done by 15yr old dude who just discovered modeling and I don't even want to talk about flight dynamics and avionics. I'd rather flush those 20€ down the toilet.

By the way, isn't the Alphasim one freeware now? I thought it was...

I'm not sure if it is, might be. I'm pretty new to the payware game, so I'm not sure what is good and what to steer clear of. But I think before getting aircraft I should get a landclass for SA. Any suggestions for fighters/landclass?

If you want modern fighters, look at the F/A-18E by VRS Simulations. Absolutely amazing representation. Other awesome payware can be found from Milviz. They have a T-38A, F-15E, F-86F to name a few. Aerosoft makes an excellent F-16C as well. For freeware, look at Dino Cattaneo. He makes the best freeware fighters around (F-14D, F-35A/B/C).

Dunno about landclass.

As for the Gripen, I can't think of anything. However, that product you linked is not worth your money. It's not worth money at all.

If you're into military flying, I would strogly suggest you looking into DCS.

When it comes to FSX, why don't you have a look at some nice freeware that is available? For example, Dino Cattaneo has amazing F-14D, F-35A/B/C and T-45C on his blog here:

http://indiafoxtecho.blogspot.com/

He's also constantly updating those aircraft and they're getting better and better. In fact, F-14D was just updated today.

Or maybe you can have a look at FSXBA Hornet here:

http://fsxblueangels.com/hornet%20dowload%20template.html

It's based on the default F/A-18 in FSX (which is quite horrendous on its own), but adds new and way better flight dynamics, sounds, effects, liveries and many other functions. 

By the way, I hope you have FSX:Acceleration. All those birds require it and there's really no point in getting into fighters without it.

There's no good gripen for FSX. If you want to fly combat aircraft in FSX, VRS F/A-18 is th eonly way to go imo. Additionally, I would suggest you to try DCS World as the best platform for combat aviation. 

Wow there's some amazing stuff out there! And coming from FS9 I thought Acceleration's F-18 was detailed lol. I'll definitely be checking out everything you guys suggested. One last question: carrier ops. Are any of the Flight Deck add-ons any good, or is Javier's stuff better? And carrier-capable planes.

Cheers

Kyle Z

I never used anything else than Javier's, so I don't know about anything better. There's an oldschool USS Enterprise payware that looks quite nice, but it's 25 bucks.

For carrier ops, you'll need aicarriers. It's an application that will let you place your carriers wherever and control them afterwards. It's controlled either by drop down menu or Shift+J in FSX.

http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=112008&Name=&FileName=&Author=&CatID=root

And obviously the ships, links are up there as well (part 1 and part 2).

If you wish to spice up your carrier ops even more, there's a convenient application called vLSO (virtual landing signal officer). It'll comunicate with you on final (you can even get waved off) and it also has greenie board.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=unslbi27di8i91uhl21t52s231&topic=4915.0

As for the airplanes, all the free stuff I linked before is carrier-based. Including T-45C, so you can do it just like in real life with trainer aircraft first  :wink:

the grippen addon on the link that you gave, looks horrible. i wouldn't pay even one cent for this thing. it looks way too worse than default f-18

if you want to use military aircrafts give try freeware dcs world. dcs world also has carrier ops with their su-33

Cenk Demir

Besiktas JK 1903

The Gripen from Alphasim is really, REALLY old.  We dumbed down our high rez version so it would fit in FS9... It's deffo not up to today's standards... not even close. 

Please contact oisin at milviz dot com for forum registration information.  Please provide proof of purchase if you want support.  Also, include the username you wish to have.

Well Javier's carriers are amazing! Now to just get some jets. I have one problem with the carriers though: when underway they seem to flicker as they move, is this normal? 

If you mean that it wobbles back and forth a little bit when you're on deck, it's normal, unfortunately.