Sign in to follow this  
SirStiggie

TV Station investigates in-home flight simulators

The p 51 would be the ultimate. I got the chance to fly a Mooney (with a great deal of assistance). It gave me a great deal of appreciation for real flight.

A PDMG simmer would have no difficulty at all getting any modern Boeing to Autoland, and if it's a CAT3B one even better (nearly all 737 are only CAT3A). It's just a matter of turning the knobs when told and pushing a few buttons. Selecting reverse is not necessary on long runways and with 74/5/6/7/87 all that you need to do once landed is put the parking brake on and turn off the engines. My Mum could have done it if prompted on the radio.

Of course, with any defects or issues preventing an Autoland, nearly everyone would be frankly stuffed. With an Autopilot and ILS available and even with manual thrust there's plenty of simmers that could get it to the tarmac, but a proper flare takes practice and timing the controls is just not something you can get from a PC, yolk, pedals and however monitors you have. Come to think of it, the Full Flight Sims weren't much like the real one either.....

For full on, my hour in a Hawk still rates as a lifetime's best experience. Flt. Lt Dave Harvey from 100Sqn was a gent, and we spent most of the hour on the edge of the approved flight envelope for passengers...ahem..

You can't simulate that kind of G anywhere!  

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!