Sign in to follow this  
Sportsfan23

What settings should I use?

I never really noticed any FPS drop and have been using autogen complexity extremely dense and autogen dense and everything has seemed fine. However recently my FPS has dropped quite a lot. The only things I have added recently were ORBX PNW, and REX4. Could either of those be causing a problem for some reason? I also use ASN and I have the cloud settings at default so I don't have a super high draw cloud distance or that many layers of clouds. Also the FPS seem to drop dramatically when there are a ton of clouds around. I did not notice this with REX+OD+ASN when there were tons of clouds like overcast and low ceilings but with REX4+ASN I am seeing like a 15-18 FPS drop when there are a bunch of low level clouds around. 

One thing I thought of is maybe I also have my mesh resolution and mesh complexity set to high. What are some good settings for those? Right now I have everything set as far to the right as possible. 

ORBX PNW and REX4 have not impacted my FPS to any noticeable degree.  My Autogen is similar to your settings.  My Mesh Resolution and Mesh Complexity are almost full right on the sliders.  Maybe someone else can help you more on this.

Stan

Mesh is not it... but there are areas in PNW, especially around KSEA that take quite a toll on performance.

Try flying with "fair weather" and see if that restores your performance.

Bert

I haven't flown remotely close to the PNW scenery area. I will give that a shot though thank you for the suggestion. 

Mesh is not it... but there are areas in PNW, especially around KSEA that take quite a toll on performance.

Try flying with "fair weather" and see if that restores your performance.

Yea using fair weather brought everything back to about 24-27 FPS which is about what I remember having before encountering the very low FPS. The airport I am using is Miami International and I forget the airport maker but it's a very nice airport. 

BTW, a safe starting point for mesh settings:

Mesh complexity:  100

Mesh resolution: 10 m

Texture resolution: 1m

Yea using fair weather brought everything back to about 24-27 FPS which is about what I remember having before encountering the very low FPS. The airport I am using is Miami International and I forget the airport maker but it's a very nice airport. 

My experience with FSX is that:

Weather+Traffic+Complex Airplane+ Add-on Airport = performance problem

Any one of those may be OK, but add them together and something is going to give..

Bert

I will give those settings a try thank you very much. Yea I guess you just have to find the right balance of settings and then just leave the sim alone and enjoy flying. 

Mesh complexity:  100

Mesh resolution: 10 m

Texture resolution: 1m

That actually brought my FPS up to 33-38 FPS which is much higher than I have seen at that airport and that is with ASN running also. Thank you again for the info. 

Yea I guess you just have to find the right balance of settings and then just leave the sim alone and enjoy flying. 

:rolleyes:

Bert

AVSIM recommends you use the guidance provided in the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide (see the guide under Hot Spots to the right of this forum).  AVSIM uses recommendations from the Orbx/FTX manuals as well as other information from various Sources.  It's also a good starting point for setting up your FSX.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

if heavy weather is causing you problems, consider what texture sizes you are using for clouds also. i found that 1024 textures for clouds has not so much impact, but 4096 will really make things crawl in inclement conditions. high anti-aliasing settings combined with this can make the issue worse.

cheers

-andy crosby