Hi there!

I've used this forum several time to solve FS problems. Many people here with great experience and knowledge about flight simulators. I've been using FS9 for several years now on XP 32-bit. As time goes on I need to realize that change must be done. Always enjoyed FS9 better than FSX cause of the smoothness of flying. Now I planning to upgrade my system with Win7 64-bit system, i7 4770k, Z87 motherboard 16GB RAM, GTX780 videocard 3GB and 2x ssd discs of 256 GB each. And now for the sim plattform.

Since I'm quite familiar with Microsoft FS I was thinking about FSX with ASN, Global OrBX etc. I'm a bit afraid of the FSX perfomance, though. Have read many topics about FSX not running great even with new and high-end computers. And I can't stand FPS drops and the simulator almost running in slow motion.

Have seen youtube-vids and screenshots P3D and X-Plane 10 and I must say the graphics looks amazing. And both of them are optimized on 64-bit. The only thing is that I love the product iFly 737. I prefer 2D cockpit since that what I used of.

Also I want a program like Fs Passengers since I don't like not having a goal for my flying. And for what I've heard is that it's not such a program for XP10 and P3D is not meant for entertainment.

It's quite a dilemma. Should I choose FSX with all its errors and stabilityproblems, but great entertainment or should I choose a modern simulator where you just fly and nothing else?

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "MOBO, RAM, CPU's & Other Hardware". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Why? It would be the last of the three sims that I would suggest for someone that is buying a new PC.

Should I choose FSX with all its errors and stabilityproblems, but great entertainment or should I choose a modern simulator where you just fly and nothing else?

You already answered your own question.

I think I'll choose XP10 before P3D but I'm not familiar with addons and stuff like that. LM have announced that P3D is not meant for entertainment and it never will be. Could be boring in the long run. Maybe, XP10 could develop programs like FS Passengers in the future? I'm moving out of my MSF comfort zone, and it's a bit scary. ;)

I just upgraded from a WinXP system to a 4770K based Win 7-64 system, and FSX runs smooth as silk..  Since you are already familiar with FS9, FSX will simply be a better looking and better performing version of the same flightsim.

Suggest getting fast memory (2X4GB is sufficient) to go with your motherboard.

G-Skill TridentX  C9 or C10 would be a good choice.

If you run with conservative settings..  low traffic, simple weather, etc, you can have great Orbx scenery and run at a solid 30fps no matter where you go.

Start adding complex airplanes, traffic, airports, weather, and increasing the view range (LOD radius) beyond what FSX offers up... and yes, you can bring even a fast system to it's knees..

But that is totally within your control.

For setting up your Haswell system... here is "the bible"..

http://www.simforums.com/Forums/the-fsx-computer-system-the-bible-by-nickn_topic46211.html

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

Avsim also offers good info on setting up a well tuned FSX system.

Bert

Thank you so much for the information. :)

One thing, though. If you install Orbx scenery, would it be necessary to install UTX and GEX as well?

If you install Orbx scenery, would it be necessary to install UTX and GEX as well?

No, but for outside of those regions the programs are good.

Should I choose FSX with all its errors and stabilityproblems, but great entertainment or should I choose a modern simulator where you just fly and nothing else?

You already answered your own question.

I never had any major errors or stability issues with, never even got a single OOM with FSX, you must be doing something wrong. :huh:

P3D is NOT yet 64 bit - but from talking to others they optimized the video portion of the software so OOM's are less common than before.

That being said I'd consider XP10 as well - it's more of a "techy" sim than FSX or p3d - and it is native x64 now. Try the demo and especially at night it is amazing.

So for RAM I'd buy 16 GB because the upcoming 10.30 patch will easily use 8 GB. And maybe p3D will go x64 and use more than 4 GB (and higher). Be sure to get the fastest memory with lowest timings within your budget. Haswell CPU likes faster memory... Try 2400mhz

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |