Sign in to follow this  
16wiebeke

Aerosoft scenery or other scenery?

Hey,

Been looking for some new add-on scenery.

My computer isn't super high end, but it's not bad...

8g ram

i5 3.00GHz

radeon HD 7790 

.....etc

I can run default scenery no problem pretty well maxed out and PNW from ORBX almost completely smooth.

Any ways so I'm wondering if Aerosoft is a good add-on for me. (Will there be a huge fps drop and run really un smooth?) 

Or would FSDT be a better option for me? Or is that even worse?

Do you guys have any other suggestions that won't make the sim insanely un smooth?

Thanks,

Kevin

You need to be more specific about which Aerosoft scenery you're looking at getting. They're not all created the same and some Aerosoft sceneries perform well and some not as well. Keep in mind that Aerosoft is a publisher and they don't make all the stuff they sell. Some of their stuff is produced by them but more is made by other developers. I have purchased quite a few airports that they've made and generally they all work well and the ones that didn't I was able to modify myself to make them perform acceptable. Some of their older airports don't come with mip mapped textures which causes shimmering and a slight performance loss. Easy to fix this yourself, but can be a little time consuming.

As far as FSDT goes, I own all their airports except the Hawaiian ones and they all perform excellent, some of them like KDFW, KORD, and KJFK perform better on my rig than the default airports do. This is mainly because they use techniques to optimize performance in different ways than a lot of other developers.

Another developer that you can feel safe purchasing from is Flightbeam. Both FSDT a Flightbeam offer free trials for their airports so you can try for a limited time before you buy. With Aerosoft their is no trial and no refund, so once you buy it's yours whether you like it or not.

Give some examples of Aerosoft airports you are looking to buy and we can give you some options on their performance.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Flight beam for sure for ksfo. They just released kden as we'll and it is amazing

Thank you, an example might be San francisco.

You need to be more specific. Aerosoft has two San Francisco sceneries, one by the above mentioned Flightbeam which is just the airport called Mega Airport San Francisco and then also have US Cities X - San Francisco made by Lime Sim.

I own the airport and as I mentioned, anything by Flightbeam is good and performs well, although that was Flightbeam's first airport and it performs well but not as good as their newer airports. Flightbeam is actually working on a new version of it so you might want to wait.

I don't own the city package because I read that it wae hard on performance, has no night textures and that the buildings shimmer.

It's up to you. I would get the airport and skip the city. If you're interested in the bay area you might consider the ORBX region that covers that area and more. Can't speak to its performance since I dont own that ORBX region.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

From my experience it's like this:

- Anything from FlyTampa performs exceptionally well, no matter how detailed the sceneries are

- The same applies for all of ORBX's airfields I have, but I have had some trouble with their larger Australian airports (e.g. Brisbane)

- Most of Aerosoft's newer releases (more or less released 2012 and later) perform quite nice, but take care with the MegaAirports. with your 3.00GHz machine you might be below the system requirements, and that can result in a bad performance. Also, most of their older releases have prettty nice performance, but there are some more restrictions IMO.

- FSDT offers free demos of all their sceneries, so the best is to download those and see how you like them before buying.