Sign in to follow this  
hychewright

Very Low FPS in PNW

Hello fliers, I was flying today  around Arlington in the PNW and it was a very cloudy day and my fps were like 8-15 fps. I do have rex 4 with asn as a weather engine and I think that asn is real hard on my system. Sliders are all at mediumn. The clouds were beautiful but was like flying a slide show. Anyone else experience this with asn and rex 4?

Regards

Lamar Wright

Hello fliers, I was flying today  around Arlington in the PNW and it was a very cloudy day and my fps were like 8-15 fps. I do have rex 4 with asn as a weather engine and I think that asn is real hard on my system. Sliders are all at mediumn. The clouds were beautiful but was like flying a slide show. Anyone else experience this with asn and rex 4?

No problems with REX4 and ASN in PNW with heavy clouds. Maybe you reduce the amount of cloud layers in ASN and also reduce some settings in REX4.

Spirit

I am mystified a bit on exactly what sorts of cloud density, cloud layering, time of day, etc affect shadow performance in 2.21.   Here's an example of what I mean.  Maybe 30min from sunset flying north to KPDX I was using REX4 textures w/ REX E+ weather.   I came into a spot at altitude of about FL240 or so on descent and though frame rate was good at about 44 or so I began to lose smoothness--very stuttery.  Lots of low level flatter looking clouds that actually looked very unnatural, and puffy cumulus above those.  Medium cloud density and lots of blue sky between cloud groups.   I changed to ORBX canned stormy weather and frames went to 60 and ultra smooth.  To me, there were more clouds present, but very few of the flatter lower level ones, so it left me wondering if certain types of cloud sets cause issues and some don't.  Very hard to draw conclusions w/ respect to cloud shadow impact.  Sometimes it's really severe, other times that may look similar have no visible impact.  I'm sure you can say w/ confident the more clouds the greater the chance for a substantial impact, but it's still hard to nail down I find.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Yeppers...I found that out myself tonight, as I started loading in ORBX regions, FSXG, and Vector.

I am running the sim quite hot...(actually full open) because that is the only way to see the 'true' add-on ORBX products. If you dial down your settings, you also are throwing money out of your pockets. I am running on my system, around an average of 18-22 FPS, and can even dip down to the chilly 8-12 range when some heavy cloud is called up. I guess it is,what it is. If lower than anticipated FPS's is a deal breaker for the user....than pass the sim on by... My system is a powerful one...and other than Vanilla...it also takes a 33 percent FPS hit,after custom installs....  When driving FSX, full out, I never ever go below 30 FPS, with all my ORBX and UTX in play.  

Mitch

If you find your FPS are low in Orbx territory it's because of the enhanced scenery (alas, there's not such thing as better scenery and better framerates! :blink: )

If your FPS dip low, try setting the Autogen sliders down a notch and see if that helps. If that doesn't, don't be afraid to pull the scenery slider back to Very Dense from Extremely Dense, I bet you won't notice the difference!  B)

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

Hello fliers, I think I will play with ASN cloud layers. Mine is set on 6 layers. I fly with real time weather so you know in the PNW it is really thick with clouds most of the time. I will also adjust the sliders some. As you can see I have a pretty healthy system but I understand with all the eye candy it can really make a hit on FPS. I guess it all about adjustments, what you can live with and what you can't.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Make sure you dont have any AA by nvidia Inspector set....as example sparse grid supersampling absolutly kills performance with clouds....

I don't have Invida inspector, However, I do have AA setting in P3D settings. I did adjust the cloud layers in ASN from 5 to 3 which helped a whole lot!!  I'm now getting 15 to 30 FPS with clouds in PNW.

Regards

Lamar Wright

Make sure you dont have any AA by nvidia Inspector set....as example sparse grid supersampling absolutly kills performance with clouds....

I'm finding it's exceedingly hard to nail down exactly what is causing what w/ regard to cloud shadows performance impact.   Some situations I'd swear should take it down and yet it runs exceedingly well.  Other situations that maybe don't look that bad cause severe degradation in performance.   I take turns running nV Inspector using SUPERVCAA_64x_4 w/ 2x SGSS and in certain cloud situations w/ shadows out to 80,000m I'm seeing fabulous smooth performance...sometimes.  Other times, it can be a slideshow.  Then I turn nV off and run w/ just 16x AF and 4x MSAA in sim.    I have yet to nail down exactly what is causing what.  Dawn/Dusk seems to exacerbate the situation, but neither is it a guarantee of poor performance.  I have strong hardware still by today's standards.

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X