Sign in to follow this  
suvo

777 OOM within 2 hours of flight

SUVO - while we wait for that upload, you should take an opportunity to edit your profile and create a signature. Avsim is serious about signing etc. I'm sure we all want to help, but hate to see this post removed.

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

I just reinstalled everything fresh.

Did a test flight from KJFK to KLAX with the PMDG777 (in 4x accelerated flight during cruise.....not sure if that makes a difference VAS wise).

FSX settings:

Glob text res - max

no dx10, no lens flare and no light bloom, but

adv animations - checked.

aircraft shadows gnd/itself - both not checked

aircraft lndg lights illuminate gnd - checked

LOD - large (= 4.5 in the .cfg)

mesh complexity - 100

texture resolution - 7cm

water effects midx2

land detail textures - checked

Autogen and scenery complexity - one click before max, very dense

ground scenery shadows - not checked

special effects - max

Cloud draw distance - 60mi

AI traffic - 35% Gen Aviation, 45% airlines, airport vehicles low, no cars, ships and boats at 20%

Default FSX scenery!

Default FSX water/cloud textures!

zero other addons except 777 and OPUS!

but

OPUS real world (live) weather running

T.O. from KJFK started with 1.17GB free VAS.

During cruise some VAS was freed up again....like 200MB or so.

Landing in KLAX with 0.8GB free VAS.....so that is not much more than you are seeing.

And you have LOD 6.5 + more airport vehicles + REX clouds!

So I think what you are seeing is normal.....but I stand corrected if others disagree.

On my previous install I noticed the same thing....approaching big cities like London, NY, LA adds 300MB VAS during descend EVEN with default FSX scenery.

I think FLEX has a good point though......it could be the aircrafts paint job that causes the last bit of too much VAS use......try the default PMDG livery !

That is the only livery I use by the way (dont care about the outside of the plain).

Rob Robson

Here is the Picture .... for the scenario described above.,..

InitialLoad_ProcExp_zps66c1fc85.png

Regards,

Subhankar (Suvo)

India

SUVO - while we wait for that upload, you should take an opportunity to edit your profile and create a signature. Avsim is serious about signing etc. I'm sure we all want to help, but hate to see this post removed.

Troy

Added Sir

OK Uploading it through flickr....

Just took a screenshot. Loaded the 777 onto fsx default OMDB airport at a gate. Panel state load - 777 Long. The process explorer shows a VAS of 2.3 GB and I have not even started the engine and did not go to outside view. :(

That is normal!

To test it I did the same.....2.1GB used, R30L OMDB, engines running.

then I go outside and pan around my aircraft 5 - 6 times....as the scenery flashes the GPU buffer is filled (this is normal too)......then back into the cockpit and now using 2.45GB VAS.

This is normal and this is why you can not add much more stuff to FSX (unless you go DX10 I hear).

On a side note:

I heard that both FSX default AI traffic textures, as well as default FSX autogen textures are quite complex.

An AI addon (if it is a good one) can help reduce VAS and increase frame rate.

(A bad one will make things worse and unstable)

GEX uses "light" optimised textures for autogen I recently read.....

I have just installed UTX/GEX for America and Europe but I can not see that yet....need to do more testing.......

Still, I thought I'd pass it on.

Rob Robson

OK .... Its almost midnight in India.. Off to bed.. Will do some testing during the weekends and report back ...

How are folks managing to do a 12 - 13 hours continuous flight with LOD at 6.5 Texture at 2048 .... The hardwares are only going to increase the performance but how it will reduce the VAS usage unless it forces FSX to release some unused memory ...

By the way, the below thing in Scenery editor also did not help... If anyone have anymore inputs, I will clarify my morning...  :rolleyes:

SceneryConfig_zpscf976255.png

Well I don't see any problems in there at all. So at this point all I can suggest are these:

1) Invest in Steves DX10 fixer while using a very high Autogen setting

2) set windows to windows classic and adjust windows for best performance

3) Disable all startup items in  your MSCONFIG

Best regards

Troy

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Just tried that with DX10 Preview enabled and Stock FSX + PMDG 777, looked around, zoomed out cockpit, and outside viewed all around - Peak VAS: 1.635 Gb.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

How are folks managing to do a 12 - 13 hours continuous flight with LOD at 6.5 Texture at 2048 ....

Those that use it swear by DX10

I have not tried it yet

But as soon as my installation is stable.....I think I will.

Rob Robson

I would most definitely recommend DX10 to anyone with a good GPU. That being said I stressed tested the 777 on DX9  for weeks flying long haul routes without an OOM.  

Longest trip was EDDP - VHHH,  sim was left running over night and then flown back to EDDP.    

Rob Prest

Rob - Thats exactly is what i am trying to understand...

From all best sources available to learn this OOM - 777 Introduction manual, AVSIM FSX settings guide etc etc.. The two major culprits for all OOM issues are LOD_RADIUS and AUTOGEN.. (AI traffic etc comes next ... which is anyway much low in my case and hence ignoring for now..)

So i can reduce any one or even both and stay at that point and get over the problem.

But if i get to know that even with high Autogen anbd high LOD_RADIUS it is possible to avoid OOM and take ultra long flights then there is "Somthing else" which is is working in the background. Because of that "Something else" the VAS is getting managed and staying at a lower side...

Question is What is that "Something else" - Is it DX10?

DX10 is very tempting indeed.. but before i plunge on to DX10, i want to be sure that from a DX9 perspective I am hit the optimal level of my PC for FSX and T7 ....

Off topic - I am extremely happy and grateful for everyone who have tried and is trying to help me understand and resolve this problem. I never thought that i will receive so much help and response. Quite happy to be in AVSIM. (Had to mention this, becuase other places have already resolved this problem of mine by suggesting not to fly the T7..  :rolleyes:

The simulation becomes unpredictable when memory available is low. It all depends on what the software is doing next, which may be trying to allocate various amounts of memory. Ai Aircraft could start up any kind of model requiring any amount of memory, weather injections could tip it over at any moment, and so on. If the memory can't be allocated the software may wait and maybe hold up the sim, or ignore it, or fail with OOM, depending on many things.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I am wondering if you have a virus hogging system resources.  Simply put you shouldn't be having an OOM running default scenery on a 2 hour flight. Probably the first person here to report an issue like this.   Best to look at all avenues.  

Regards

Rob, the VAS usage limit only applies to the fsx.exe process. He has 16GB RAM so I would say it's rather unlikely he has something using up over 12GB RAM to impede on memory avilable to FSX. FSUIPC is monitoring the fsx.exe process' VAS usage, so when you get the audible alarm, it is due to the 32-bit VAS restriction, not that he has used all available system memory.

Other app usage looks fine from the resource screenshot which means we can only point a finger at something IN FSX.

Do you have all the .NET framework versions installed on your machine? All my OOMs ceased once this was done. Now my VAS with PMDG 777 runs around 2.5 - 3.2 and in the NGX it's around 1.8 - 2.5 max.

See post: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/408493-couple-win7-64-questions-on-net-framework-and-visual-c/?p=2675687

FSX requires versions 1.1 through 4.5 installed.  FSX and Acceleration will install version 1.1 and maybe 2.0.  Microsoft.net's are not backward compatible.  When a developer developed his/her product, they used a certain version of dotnet.  Dotnet runs an application in the way the developer intended including managing the memory.  You can look in your Windows\Microsoft.net\Framework (x86)\ to see all the various versions installed.  There's a tool on the Internet that will verify if they are properly installed and, if not, direct you to the site to download the corrected version (they are constantly updated - version 1 is updated constantly, version 2 is updated too once installed on your system).  Here's the link - http://blogs.msdn.co...13/8999004.aspx.  You can download and install the 64 bit versions too but they won't be used by FSX as FSX is a 32 bit application installed in a 64 bit environment.