Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

When we think of the turbine, we think of flying, but....

Does anyone remember Chrysler's turbine car?  It was quite interesting and it had such style, I've always enjoyed seeing its rare appearances in auto shows.  I was doing some research, and found this video by Jay Leno:

Hope simmers enjoy it, I found it interesting to listen to Jay driving the car whilst sounding like a jet airplane going by...

John

Thanks, John. I honestly can say that I never heard of this car, despite being of the same generation as Jay! I was living with my parents in Iran during the sixties, and we didn't get all that much in the way of news there... ^_^

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, John. I honestly can say that I never heard of this car, despite being of the same generation as Jay! I was living with my parents in Iran during the sixties, and we didn't get all that much in the way of news there... ^_^

Funny thing is, when I was recently in Virginia on business, I found an Antique shop that had a diecast model of the prototype.  It was a rare find--$4.00 but based on web searches worth a lot more, probably in the $50-60 range.  Attached is a small photo...

TurbineCar_zps82f51379.jpg

Chrysler experimentation with automotive turbine power dates back to the early 1950's.

I recall at that time, being quite impressed with the technology and wondering if there was any possibility of getting my hands on one of the fifty turbine cars Chrysler was loaning out to the public for promotion and evaluation!

Never happened!

january

I do remember it... one of the basic issues was exhaust heat dissipation. The cars were successful and the owners loved them, but the price differential was too much for them to go into production.

DJ

I do remember it... one of the basic issues was exhaust heat dissipation. The cars were successful and the owners loved them, but the price differential was too much for them to go into production.

DJ

One of the things Jay mentioned in his video was the issue of exhaust heat, that a lot of naysayers said it would cause fires.  In fact the exhaust heat comes out cooler than a piston engine car, about 140 degrees.  But I believe emissions wise, the cars wouldn't pass today's strict standards.  Another part of his video is amazing--the smoothness of the engine.  It's amazing, the car is almost as old as I am but the engine still purrs....  Acceleration is not that good by today's standards because the engine has to spool up for maximum torque from a standstill.  Also, for that reason it's not a great city car, but it sure seemed nice cruising down the highway.  Not for Phoenix though, where I live--no A/C....

Jay also has a turbine powered bike. Now there is a solution waiting for a problem!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

When I was stationed in Germany in the seventies I visited an automotive museum where they had a turbine car prototype. I have no idea now what it was or how old it was, but in typical European fashion it was much smaller than that Chrysler.