Sign in to follow this  
TheNerd

Framerate Lower as Time Progresses

Hi all :D

So, I recently bought the CS 757 after contemplating it for a while.  I decided to do a short flight from KJFK to KMIA.  I started cold and dark.  The framerate was about 30-40 (I was using bandicam).  As I started programming the FMC and was starting up the plane (didn't actually start the engines yet), I noticed that my framerate was dipping into the low-teens (about 10-13).  I saved the flight and loaded it up again.  My framerate was still in the low teens.  I restarted FSX, lowered my settings to nearly the bare minimum (kept global texture res on high though), created the same flight and the same thing happened! I decided to fight through the low fps and decided to take off.  I got the autopilot running and my framerate was DIPPING TO 4 FPS!  IN THE SKY WITH NO AUTOGEN AND CLOUDS AT THE LOWEST SETTINGS!  What the hell's wrong with my game?

It seemed that the more systems I started, the lower my framerate got.  Is this normal?  I have other payware aircraft but noticed no real difference in framerate.  I know the CS757 can be a b**** to run, but I didn't know it was this bad!  My systems OK:
i5 3330 @ 3GHz (3.2 turbo... i think)

GT 630 (going to upgrade to a 750 eventually)

1TB HDD

6GB RAM

It's kinda hard for me to get the money to upgrade considering i'm only 15.  Plus, there are other people with worse PCs than mine that run it at better fps... with REX and other addons.

Any ideas?  Any help is appreciated :3

That GFX card is definitely a hindrance. According to what I've seen the 2GB GT 630 has DDR3 memory with a 64-bit memory width. 64-bit is going to be really slow, you're going to want at least a 128-bit card, but 192-bit or 256-bit is a better choice, and you definitely want GDDR5. You'll want to upgrade that as soon as possible.

However, being a poor, young man myself I know your situation. :Praying:  Personally, you may find it a better investment to find a higher-end card of a previous generation than to try to get a lower to mid-end card of a more current generation. I personally went for a GTX 460 (I know it's not that high-end, but it's very nice), got it for around $70 used. If you went for a 580 for example (an absolutely awesome card), you could jump on this.

But for your issue...

Any other add-ons you are running?

I know it sounds mundane, but...have you tried restarting your machine?

Thanks for responding Pooky  :biggrin:

I also forgot to mention the I have a 300w PSU... it's a prebuilt (I've had bad experiences with custom computers *cough* Cyberpower *cough*).   I would replace it, but it's a top mounted PSU and i don't think you can simply flip a PSU upside down xD.  I think my best choice is getting a GTX 750 or an AMD 7750.  I got a 75 dollar Amazon gift card for coming 2nd in the school science fair, so that'll cover most of the cost.  DO you have any other suggestions?

I have a top mounted PSU in my custom case. Personally I prefer custom, but I order my parts individually from Newegg and assemble them myself, I don't go with places like Cyberpower. Honestly, as long as you can follow directions and use a screwdriver, building a computer is super easy. ;)

The important thing is not so much where the PSU is mounted, but what form factor your computer's motherboard is. Some manufacturers use the standard ATX motherboards, while others (most notably Dell) use BTX. If your machine is ATX you have a lot of choices, but if it's BTX you don't have a lot of non-OEM choices. Here's a good one if you have BTX: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J7Y6K4 Honestly it's not a terrible choice for ATX machines either, since it does both. With that Kingwin you can power most high-end cards, or two low-end cards in SLI or Crossfire.

I personally have a preference for nVIDIA, they're simple and reliable. Many people have had good experiences with AMD, too, but I like nVIDIA's options. Personally, I would try to go for a GTX 580 or a GTX 660 over the 750, if you can. Both are going to provide better performance, and if you get the 660 you get Shadowplay and all the other Keplar benefits. But, if you can't afford the 580 or 660 the 750 is next best. :)

Here is a very useful chart for graphics: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

In addition, if you have good cooling in your machine (and if your BIOS allows) overclocking might be beneficial.

Do you have any software keeping track of the status of your hardware? I have to wonder if something might be overheating and throttling back resulting in lower frame rate.

I have a top mounted PSU in my custom case. Personally I prefer custom, but I order my parts individually from Newegg and assemble them myself, I don't go with places like Cyberpower. Honestly, as long as you can follow directions and use a screwdriver, building a computer is super easy. ;)

The important thing is not so much where the PSU is mounted, but what form factor your computer's motherboard is. Some manufacturers use the standard ATX motherboards, while others (most notably Dell) use BTX. If your machine is ATX you have a lot of choices, but if it's BTX you don't have a lot of non-OEM choices. Here's a good one if you have BTX: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005J7Y6K4 Honestly it's not a terrible choice for ATX machines either, since it does both. With that Kingwin you can power most high-end cards, or two low-end cards in SLI or Crossfire.

I personally have a preference for nVIDIA, they're simple and reliable. Many people have had good experiences with AMD, too, but I like nVIDIA's options. Personally, I would try to go for a GTX 580 or a GTX 660 over the 750, if you can. Both are going to provide better performance, and if you get the 660 you get Shadowplay and all the other Keplar benefits. But, if you can't afford the 580 or 660 the 750 is next best. :)

Here is a very useful chart for graphics: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

In addition, if you have good cooling in your machine (and if your BIOS allows) overclocking might be beneficial.

i think I'm going to stick with the 750.  It's small and powerful and I won't have to change my PSU.  And you really didn't need to send me a link to the GPU hierarchy chart.  I'm an active member of Tom's hardware :3

Thanks for all your help :biggrin:  

Haha cool, Tom's hardware is awesome. :)

You're very welcome. :)

Any other add-ons you're running? Jon's suggestion is worth noting as well.

Do you have any software keeping track of the status of your hardware? I have to wonder if something might be overheating and throttling back resulting in lower frame rate.

I actually do.  I use Speedfan.  The hottest I've seen my processor was 50 degrees Celsius.  I'm not to suer about my GPU though...

I really don't have many addons.  Only the NGX.  It runs fine.  I just moved to FSX after playing FS9 for some time.