Sign in to follow this  
AnkH

Still some invisible AI traffic models

Hi all,

It seems that the DX10 Fixer did not completely solve the problem of invisible AI traffic models in my case. Or if this was never the intention of the tool, I apologize, but maybe you have a solution for my problem:

In order to increase performance, I replaced the UT2 general aviation traffic which solely uses FSX standard GA planes (Maule, Cessna, Cup, Learjet etc.) with the AI models found in the FTX NA general aviation freeware package. Those models should work in FSX, they have the correct .dds texture format but still some of the planes are invisible when using DX10 plus "aircraft cast shadows on the ground" option. I did a quick and dirty conversion of one of those invisible models via ModelConverterX and now it shows up, simply with hampered animations. So it is obviously still a problem with non-FSX-native AI planes and DX10 plus the shadow option, no? I did not take care about this issue anymore as I have moved my other AI traffic completely to FSX native models by now.

Is this a DX10 Fixer related issue? Or is it even with the fixer absolutely necesseray to use FSX native models to be able to activate this "ground shadow" option? I also read something about an influence of how a certain scenery is designed, could that be the issue?

Thanks for any help,

regards

Chris

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I see someone else mentioned that the Ivao mtl models don't appear if ground shadows are enabled. So it seems to be an ai issue with legacy models,and ground shadows. It may be a dx10sf issue. What are your legacy dialog settings?

Going through some forums I learned that it is in fact a scenery problem and not related to DX10 (in my case). Obviously, custom runways using a specialized code lead to this annoying fact that the option "aircraft cast shadows on ground" does not work anymore with FS9 AI models. Some incompatibility I do not full understand, sadly I also do not know how to solve it, besides converting the AI models into FSX native ones. But, I am not an expert in this, so my converted models have some oder errors now...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Just wanted to pop in and thank you for the info!

Today I had the IVAO traffic disappear (lights visible but not the aircraft) at LSZH and after I disabled the ground shadows, the IVAO aircraft models started working again in DX10 mode.

EDIT: Any educated guesses what legacy settings might help to remove this problem?

Edited by Jarkko

I had this issue today. I had this problem in dx9, so I didn't put the shadows on my plane proyected to the ground.. but one day I tried.. and saw how the IVAO MTL models proyected their shadows and where visible..... it was before this last update of October...Don't know which number.

Now I see I have to turn the shadows off again. Why is that? is it possible to have the shadows on and see the MTL again in dx10? I saw them before so there must be a method to.

I put on and off legacy self shadows but this doesn't work.

Thanks!

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

I can only suggest that you go into the legacy dialog turn off all the options - then try the slider in all 5 positions and test.

I can only suggest that you go into the legacy dialog turn off all the options - then try the slider in all 5 positions and test.

Hello Steve. Thank you for the info.

Sorry for going of topic, but I had to mention something. The DX10 is the best thing that has hit my system in a very long time. Excellent product!

Fixed... it was something about some shaders that changed and just loading dx10fixer fixed it!!  :lol:

Javier Rollon. Owner of JRollon Planes for Xplane

It can not be fixed besides the two options of A) turning off aircraft shadows on ground or B) stricktly using FSX-native AI models. As turning off aircraft shadows on ground is for me no option, I go for the FSX-native AI models solution. This is somehow tricky, as several AI models are hard to get in a FSX-native variant, especially GA models. I tried to convert them myself, but there are some minor issues with this solution, e.g. the propdiscs are gone replaced by a rather silly looking slow turning prop. But I prefer this little issue over the fact that AI traffic is invisible or casts no shadows on the ground...

Greetings, Chris