Sign in to follow this  
alulekk

OrbX PNW on P3D v2.2 - 10fps drop?

Hi all.

Is it common to lose 10fps using OrbX products?

I'm on the latest P3D and OrbX PNW and my testing with identical everything (only scenery swapped) is showing around a 10fps drop using OrbX PNW.

Brutal.  Simply makes their product useless to me unfortunately.

Anyone else seeing this?  Or perhaps there's a big "tip" I'm missing to better cope with whatever OrbX has done vs stock?

Guest Mik75

And it's also very important to choose reasonable settings for buildings and vegetation!

Guest Mik75

And it's also very important to choose reasonable settings for buildings and vegetation!

FPS: unlimited.

Although that seems to net higher FPS numbers, for some reason it doesn't seem as smooth.

Anyone else feel that way?

I get the smoothest flight with FPS : Fixed @ 33   With Orbx Region Nor Cal I get a steady 30 fps except for SFO where fps drops considerably. 

C.

Higher scenery fidelity along with more building and tree scenery and autogen = Less FPS.

There's no way around it except to reduce your scenery density settings, it's a fact of simming life.  B)

Philip Manhart  :American Flag:

13.jpg

- "Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something." ~ Plato

I often set my FPS to a number that can provide a steady rate.  For instance, if I am seeing a FPS range between 25-40, but I see the number around 30 most of the time, I will set my FPS somewhere around 30.  That way I get a relatively consistent FPS number.  I find that when I see too large of a range, spikes in performance and stuttering occurs.  Give that a try.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I often set my FPS to a number that can provide a steady rate.  For instance, if I am seeing a FPS range between 25-40, but I see the number around 30 most of the time, I will set my FPS somewhere around 30.  That way I get a relatively consistent FPS number.  I find that when I see too large of a range, spikes in performance and stuttering occurs.  Give that a try.

Thanks.

That's sort of what I've been playing with all afternoon.

It seems odd that on "unlimited" I get a range of FPS numbers from about high 20's to upper 40's....but then when I set it at a target FPS of 33 (going for 30 + a 10% buffer I read about in a LM post) I'm usually pegged around 27-ish.

Just seems weird.  Based on observing the range I was getting on unlimited it would have the appearance that I should be able to peg at close to 30...but it doesn't seem to.

Anyways, tweaking and tweaking has led to reasonable OrbX PNW performance.  The NorCal scenery is a whole other animal.  Man...things can be working very well and get *any*where near the Bay Area and it's a disaster.

Maybe one day LM will have the ability to "fly between profiles" or "engage a certain profile gradually" as you get closer to denser areas.  Sort of sucks to have to "stop and reload new, lower, settings" when a city is getting near.

All in all, the P3D progress has been great.  Throw in official SLI support and LOOK OUT!  :-)

Not directly related to this, but I've spent SO much time combing through all the tips re: micro-stuttering.

I've gotten it acceptably low now (still noticeable, especially in turns), but this is one area X-Plane definitely excels vs P3D right now.

X-Plane may not have all the gorgeous scenery options, but when you get a reasonable FPS or above (really high 20's and up works great) it's just butter smooth and it really helps with the immersion factor.

I hope P3D can get to that level of smoothness someday.

It is pretty close using "default" settings, but that looks terrible and defeats half the point IMO.

Do you mean P3D default textures?

If so I agree generally. If the default Seattle area had a few more key buildings where they should be I would probably skip OrbX pnw as the default performs so much better for me....but for now, sticking with Orb.

Do you mean P3D default textures?

If so I agree generally. If the default Seattle area had a few more key buildings where they should be I would probably skip OrbX pnw as the default performs so much better for me....but for now, sticking with Orb.

When I first installed and was Vanilla...I thought how much the stock P3D textures looked like my FSX GEX installation.  Certainly no dog....that's for sure. If ORBX was found to not be transferable into P3D...I honestly could have lived with the standard texture sets. For stock..they were/are amazing.

Certainly no dog....that's for sure. If ORBX was found to not be transferable into P3D...I honestly could have lived with the standard texture sets. For stock..they were/are amazing.

They are nice.  But, I do want to have my Orbx airports in P3D.  Also the FlightBeam KPHX hits my system pretty hard in P3D.  P3D is working on performance for their 2.3 release so, maybe we'll see some improvement. 

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Perhaps some of what's needed is optimization on the OrbX end?

I'm also having a strange issue where the longer I've been running P3D the worse my performance seems to get?

When I'm flipping around to different situations and graphic settings I can return back to something I tested at first, with identical settings (even weather) and get worse performance!? Seems odd.