Sign in to follow this  
Robert McDonald

New XPlane 10.23 in two words: ONE Derful!

Guest Mik75

I thought the extended visual range at high altitude was missing from this first beta?

it's not part if this beta release. It's still way better for me now, because these red lines in the haze of the distance and around the cockpit windows (caused by some conflict with the Nvidia driver) seem to be completely gone.

There might be a small improvement regarding long range visibility. From the change log:

Planet textures receive a one-notch resolution increase.  This will help the look of the planet at a relatively low VRAM cost for most users.

i hear rumors that Skymaxx is coming out in version 2.x soon - which might help things at altitude and remove the muddy view at the horizon.  Still, the frames have gone up, way up at the complex airports, which for most users is a clear victory.  The OSM scenery (from Sim Heaven is astounding, teamed with the AiPilot HD Textures - and be sure to put everything in the correct order in your Scenery Packs.ini file (Sim Heaven has instructions for this).  It -does- make a big difference!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Click here for my YouTube channel

No, the long range visibility is definitely NOT in the 10.30 Beta 1 ... When it is in, then it is definitely noticeable (have seen it in a different, internal Beta build).

BUT - I repeat it every time - please remember, that long range visibility will not work equally well for everybody! It might eat your RAM for breakfast (and thus, with too little RAM you will be out of luck)!

You can (and should!) read my thoughts on it here:

PS (off-topic): Oh, and one more thing ... I don't like to have "wrong concepts" out in the wild: There is no such thing as "AiPilot HD Textures" ... This suggests that I have some scenery which has some different textures (by the way: textures are the pretty pictures "draped" on the terrain or any 3D object ... very very simply put). That is NOT what my project is about! It is called "HD Mesh Scenery v2", and it "only" changes the entire scenery data (the mesh, its detail etc.) which is all about the geometry (not the textures!). It still uses the same textures, which come with XP10 (it just places them in more detailed / accurate way etc. etc.). ... Sorry for this "rant" which might seem like nitpicking, but because of similar typos / misconceptions I get quite a lot of confused mails etc. where it turns out that people had the wrong idea in the first place.

16 GB should at least give you the chance to definitely check out the new long range visibility (even with HD Mesh Scenery v2 ... most of the time). But if you go really heavy on the scenery side (like adding some heavy weight world2xplane regions etc.) you might find that 16 GB are too little ...

you might find that 16 GB are too little ...

Wow. That's a 'lotta RAM!

Not really worried as for quite some years by now, upgrading RAM on the PC is not that much of a problem anymore i think.

And the real good thing is:

X-Plane at least is a flightsim capable of taking full advantage of it!

:wink: :smile:

Yeah I've got 8 - once overkill for FSX now underkill for XP

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I had 8 and ran into trouble with G2XPL scenery so I bought another matched pair of 2 fours of the same type to fill the remaining spaces without thinking to check anything other than that the ram was the same as what was in it. RAM arrives in the post, YAY thinks I. Turns out the monster air cooler covered one of the slots allowing me to only fit 12. Bugger! All my flying is low-n-slow anyway so no biggie on the 12dsf thing. Then I discovered that my 12Gig was running at 1333 rather than the rated 1600, had to go into the bios and set that right. Not sure whether it was that or the update that got me the extra frames to make XP just right at high goodies settings.

PS (off-topic): Oh, and one more thing ... I don't like to have "wrong concepts" out in the wild: There is no such thing as "AiPilot HD Textures" ... This suggests that I have some scenery which has some different textures (by the way: textures are the pretty pictures "draped" on the terrain or any 3D object ... very very simply put). That is NOT what my project is about! It is called "HD Mesh Scenery v2", and it "only" changes the entire scenery data (the mesh, its detail etc.) which is all about the geometry (not the textures!). It still uses the same textures, which come with XP10 (it just places them in more detailed / accurate way etc. etc.). ... Sorry for this "rant" which might seem like nitpicking, but because of similar typos / misconceptions I get quite a lot of confused mails etc. where it turns out that people had the wrong idea in the first place.

Apologies, I meant "HD MESH", for some reason I had a brain-fade.  Your mesh upgrade is a game changer, and belongs as standard' within XPlane IMHO, it's THAT NICE and THAT important.  Thank you for building it!

R. Scott McDonald  B738/L   Information is anecdotal only-without guarantee & user assumes all risks of use thereof.                                               

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

I had 8 and ran into trouble with G2XPL scenery so I bought another matched pair of 2 fours of the same type to fill the remaining spaces without thinking to check anything other than that the ram was the same as what was in it. RAM arrives in the post, YAY thinks I. Turns out the monster air cooler covered one of the slots allowing me to only fit 12. Bugger! All my flying is low-n-slow anyway so no biggie on the 12dsf thing. Then I discovered that my 12Gig was running at 1333 rather than the rated 1600, had to go into the bios and set that right. Not sure whether it was that or the update that got me the extra frames to make XP just right at high goodies settings.

Corsair makes 2 flavors of ram sticks in their VENGEANCE lineup.  The traditional 'high spreaders' and the "LOW PROFILE" sticks, which are just what you want to clear those pesky huge coolers like the Noctua DH-14.

Always suggest buying ram in completely matched set, as in a 32-gb set from Corsair.  The IC chips in a 'matched set' are all from the SAME production run, and so timing glitches which can be caused by buying sticks that 'seem the same' but that weren't assembled at the same time can crop up and bite you, particularly on OVERCLOCKED systems.

I run my 1866 Corsair 32gb set on my OC i2600k 4.7 ghz system - no issues.  Asus motherboard.

I only overclock with the clock multiplier, I do not OVER or UNDER volt my system, period.  When I do, erratic behaviour and high heat become the problem.

I can highly recommend Corsair, you can buy from BooEgg, the Rainforest Jungle site, or directly from Corsair themselves.  Be sure to take a look at your motherboard's ram compatibility list prior to attempting to upgrade.

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg

Good advice, I didn't realise there was a lower profile option to go with though tbh I've not had problems yet at least, I just OC with the multiplyer also. Thank you kindly Sir.

Good advice, I didn't realise there was a lower profile option to go with though tbh I've not had problems yet at least, I just OC with the multiplyer also. Thank you kindly Sir.

My pleasure.  Cheers!

RQbrZCm.jpg

KqRTzMZ.jpg