I have a GTX 670, and am seeing a series of confusing graphics card/driver crashes. I have overclocked it some, and I have it at the point where I can stably run a benchmark stress test. I'm using the 335.23 drivers. The black screen crash, with the "Nvidia drivers have stopped responding" message, only appears on some games, and not on others. In FSX, the issue happens irregularly, but when it does happen I need to completely restart FSX as it can't recover. On another game, it happens every time within 5 minutes of starting it, but then when this first crash has been "gotten out of the way," and I restart the game, it then runs flawlessly. After a computer shut-down, this repeats, with the graphics crash after a few minutes of play, followed by no problems once I restart the game.

Any ideas as to what might be causing this weird pattern of crashes? Why would the display drivers fail the first time I run a game, and then work flawlessly after the first crash? I don't know if the FSX-crashes are cured by restarting FSX, as any FSX sessions tend to last quite a bit longer than other games, plus the irregularity of the FSX crashes. I am going to try to update to the newest drivers, as well as clear out any dust. Any other suggestions? Is there some sort of test that I can run to make sure there's nothing wrong with the card? It seems to handle stress tests fine.

thanks

Try the 337.88 drivers

They also crash. It has been happening across thee or four latest releases. I had been using the 337.88...but with regular driver disconnects...had to revert back to 335.23 and I even had a crash/disconnect last night with that one.  I don't know what they have been doing with driver suites of late..but they are proving more and more, unstable. I might have to keep dropping back (GTX680 card) until I find a recent suite, that does not disengage from the card...  What the heck is going on with nVidia and their drivers, lately?  

I'm using the latest drivers and have never had any of the problems you mentioned. I did have a similar issue when I had my ati card though

I'm using the latest drivers and have never had any of the problems you mentioned. I did have a similar issue when I had my ati card though

Yeah, it's interesting. I have never had this happen before that last three or four releases. Most annoying, to say the least.  Sometimes you can fire up the sim again..and other times, you have to reboot the entire system. Something is happening, for sure.  I have reached out on another thread to GTX680 owners, what in their opinion, was the the best all-around driver suite for this particular card.  Of course I want max FPS performance, but in a total driver/card stability setting, as well. 

Try and reinstall DirectX. As well, are you having this issue at FSDT airports?