Sign in to follow this  
megatransat

Will a GeForce GTX 760 run well with the PMDG 777-300ER

I plan on getting a new GPU for my computer. I plan on getting the Geforce 760. I want solid 30+ FPS and no crashes for extreme long hauls with the 777-300. I do know that the PMDG 777-300 isn't released yet but let's assume the performance will be the exact same as the PMDG 777-200.

The addons I plan on using

PMDG 777-300ER

FTX Global

ENB Series

REX Overdrive

Will the GTX 760 do the job and run fsx for more than 15 hours straight without crashing and getting low frame rates? 

Thanks, Andrej:)

FSX is a very CPU intensive program. You should look at a CPU as well, maybe even more then a GPU.

The GPU will run it nicely for sure!

But a CPU is something to look at too. I read somewhere that FSX (and thus PMDG aircraft in it) is 75% CPU usage.

My CPU runs at 3.40GHZ and is an Intel I5. I think that will be run very well. What do you think?

I looked at your specs, and you have a K-series Intel processor, which means it overclocks easily. You should put a good liquid cooler on it, like maybe a Corsair H80, and overclock it to 4Ghz+. I think that will make a bigger difference than a new video card. 

I do have the GTX760 myself, and it runs very well. The main thing you need a video card for in FSX is antialiasing (which is what gets rid of jagged lines in case you don't know), and it does a great job with that on my system.

You do have to understand, though, that a new video card will most likely not fix any crash issues in FSX; that program is just horribly buggy, and there's no way around it really. Even with a great processor and video card, you probably won't see 30FPS on the ground at airports like FSDreamTeam's KLAX, but you will see smooth performance, which is what matters most.

The upcoming Devil's Canyon Core i7-4970K has a base frequency of 4.0GHz and turbo to 4.4, with overclocking potential to 5GHz. This would probably be far more beneficial than a GPU. I upgraded from a GTX560ti to a GTX780OC and saw pretty much NO CHANGE to FSX frame rates. The 780 did make a big difference is general games though, like skyrim, far cry etc.

Okay thanks! And how do I overclock my cpu? How long will it's lifetime be shortened to since I bought it 1 year ago?

Andrej

That card works very well on my system with FSX and P3D. It is an MSI 2GB.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Just FYI - I see no appreciable difference in FSX between my old 570 and my new 6GB 780. Spend your money on the CPU and a good overclocking motherboard and cooler if FSX is all you care about. CPU is the single biggest thing for performance in FSX.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

CPU is the single biggest thing for performance in FSX

With an SDD running a close second.  :wink:  (in overall system performance) 

Regards,

Steve Dra

Regards,
Steve Dra
Get my paints for MSFS planes at flightsim.to here, and iFly 737s here
Download my FSX, P3D paints at Avsim by clicking here

9Slp0L.jpg 

Toss that i5 and get and i7.  Right now the benchmarks are only marginal between the 3770K and 4770K, 3770K is cheaper.  OC the he!! out of it.  Mine is running at 4.8GHz.  Three GTX760's on board.  Liquid cooling.

What's the best CPU I can get for under $200?

Your CPU is fine Andreij. No point in upgrading that

Please list your complete setup (motherboard, power supply, current graphics card, memory...)

Yeah, the cpu is fine, and coupled with the 760 you should be able to handle lots of weather and shader intensive airports with ease.

Umm... you can get most CPU's for around or under $200.  Locally, the i7 4770K is $208.

Umm... you can get most CPU's for around or under $200.  Locally, the i7 4770K is $208.

An I7 4770K would require a new motherboard too Kevin, and the performance boost would be marginal (10% give or take)