Sign in to follow this  
G7USL

Fokker 70/100

I was cruising the library today and saw that the Fokker 70/100 package from the Project Fokker guys is up to 71000 downloads and counting. Very, very impressive. Obviously a plane most of us have on our HD somewhere.I have it too, but dont fly it much. I guess Im intrigued by what makes this plane such a popular download? Its very good and of course freeware! but I never thought it was simply amazing, which is what this number of DL's would lead one to believe.No disrespecting this very good plane or the hard work thats in it, but what makes this such a popular download? I have really taken up GA more than airliners in the last couple of years, so this question is really for you heavy metal guys and gals.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

I got it because I was looking for a small regional jet; and as you say, it's free. I have the Wilco CRJ, but took it off the HD as I became frustrated with a bug, and what I considered to be a poor flight model. What I like about the Fokker is the flight model is very good. What I don't like is that it is very basic in terms of the systems. Yeah, I actually like taking 15-20 minutes in the cockpit getting the aircraft up and running. I just got the FeelThere ERJ 2 days ago and am still getting the "feel" (pardon the pun) for it. So far, it's systems modeling is great, the flight model is much improved over the CRJ, so I will probably finally settle on it as my regional jet. Still, even after limited flying, it comes close but doesn't match the quality of the PMDG 737. My "fleet" is almost complete: PMDG 737, Feelthere ERJ, Aeroworx B200, and the free AeroCommander and Lockheed Constellation; both of which should be payware they are so good! Mike

It has a very good visual model and flight model. The 2D panel has everything right in front of you, so it makes a good IFR aircraft. Sometimes, I just want to get in and fly, and the Fokker 70/100 is simple enough to do that, but still a step up from the default aircraft. I don't need to consult the manual to use the autopilot and it has GPS. It is somehow relaxing to fly compared to my Flight 1 Iron Knuckles DC-9. It also comes with a considerable number of liveries, so I have a choice.It has a few faults, but the Project Fokker Team will get around to an update. And, you can't beat the price!Dale

Dale

Hi Eric,First of all, it's a very good modelled aircraft.Secondly, it's something different then that endless stream of Boeings, Airbusses and ERJs that hit the Flightsim community.And Thirdly, it's a Dutch aircraft (need I say more ??) :-)About the "little" problems, like GPWS callouts: they are about to be solved. Guess with what gauge :-) ?? (in cooperation with the 70100 team).Cheers, Rob Barendregt

Guest KGFL

I have it because it is a great simulation. AA used to fly them KORD-KALB (my "home" airport)as did USAirways. I think its a great training aircraft because its approach speeds are a tad slower than the Boeings, McDonnell-Douglas, and Airbus airliners. Great for short flight simulations too (KORD-KDTW).

Guest macman4

When, when when:-jumpy

The F70/100 is a great aircraft for when you just feel like a short flight without having to spend 3 hours setting up the cockpit. Yes there are times when I like to do that but every now and then I just feel like going for a spin.--qnh

Scott
Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

>When, when when:-jumpy You don't have to wait for Project Fokker to issue an update, Rob has already uploaded the file you need for silencing the 'GPWS' callouts and it's in the library 'rcgp-20.zip'.What a great guy he is? Take a bow 'Rob'All the best,Dave.'Three greens and soft landings';-)

Dave Taylor gb.png