Sign in to follow this  
alulekk

X-Plane 10 vs Prepar3d 2.2 - CYCD (Nanaimo, BC) - Comparison

Sorry guys. I can't really respond as I've been (in a way rightly) warned off discussing my product as a result of a similar reaponse in another thread. Even this is a stretch. I wish you the best with X-Plane and your discussion has now got me really interested in that Sim - even for personal use!

That's a pity! You can bet that there is a market there though and that many will be hoping your exploration of XP goes well!

Hope you decide to develop for X Plane.  X plane really needs some good quality photo scenery for the US. 

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Just out of interest - and without expressing any specific intentions  :rolleyes: - I've been looking into X Plane and X Plane scenery. I have to confess I haven't invested yet but checking out the details regarding scenery I noticed there's a specific file type that appears to be focused on "forests". Can anyone give a brief insight into this and what tools are currently available to edit or create this format?

I have a sneaking feeling it may be just the ticket...

Just out of interest - and without expressing any specific intentions  :rolleyes: - I've been looking into X Plane and X Plane scenery. I have to confess I haven't invested yet but checking out the details regarding scenery I noticed there's a specific file type that appears to be focused on "forests". Can anyone give a brief insight into this and what tools are currently available to edit or create this format?

I have a sneaking feeling it may be just the ticket...

http://developer.x-plane.com/?article=forest-for-file-format-specification

Thank you. Most interesting B) . Something tells me that an investment in X Plane is in the offing. Purely for research purposes, you understand :rolleyes: . Meanwhile - as a matter of interest, just how much photo-scenery is out there for X Plane users that treeline autogen would enhance?

Definitive conclusion: I needs me a 2560 x 1600 monitor!!!

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

Thank you. Most interesting B) . Something tells me that an investment in X Plane is in the offing. Purely for research purposes, you understand :rolleyes: . Meanwhile - as a matter of interest, just how much photo-scenery is out there for X Plane users that treeline autogen would enhance?

Impossible to quantify really. Simheaven scenery is widely used in Europe thanks to having reasonably decent autogen coverage from OSM data, see World2XPlane. Personally I create my own photoscenery with G2XPL and need a 3TB drive just for Ireland and the UK though it is at a higher res than Simheavens stuff. OSM data is patchy there so trees make a big difference, having said that, a treelines package of a sort exists ( see Alpilotx trees and farms) and if you were to do a package for the U.S. which I presume is your intention, be aware that probably nobody has photoscenery for it all as Simheaven don't have it all and the drivespace needed would be prohibitive. State by state might sell but I imagine you'd need Simheaven to cover all the states first to create the market. So the answer you're looking for is, I imagine, not a lot though I base that on my own imaginings more than any real idea. Asking on the .org might be wise. Asking Robert2 who authors G2XPL might be wiser still. He's probably the one who would best know.

...for Ireland and the UK

Wouldn't it be interesting if the guys who created Treescapes for FSX also took a look at this?  :ph34r:

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what you mean by .org or how I'd contact Robert2 - I'll search around.

Thanks for tthe feedback!

Wouldn't it be interesting if the guys who created Treescapes for FSX also took a look at this?  :ph34r:

Meanwhile, I'm not sure what you mean by .org or how I'd contact Robert2 - I'll search around.

Thanks for tthe feedback!

Sorry, my bad! The .org is x-plane.org Have a look at the G2XPL thread. Robert2 is the author. Other than Simheaven, this as far as I know is the only way to get photo scenery for oneself. He might give some indication about the popularity of photo scenery, might not, worth a try though.

Yes, an FSX treescapes conversion might sell, I'd certainly buy. They would certainly have nothing to lose I imagine, there I go imagining again. :lol:

X Plane needs a developer to start making high resolution photo scenery for the United States.  I would also buy treescapes for X plane if I had some good quality US photo scenery to purchase.

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

X Plane needs a developer to start making high resolution photo scenery for the United States.  I would also buy treescapes for X plane if I had some good quality US photo scenery to purchase.

You can make your own with G2XPL. It's not hard at all. It does take a lot of drive space though. The resolution possible is better than any commercially produced scenery that I've seen.

Thank you. Most interesting  . Something tells me that an investment in X Plane is in the offing. Purely for research purposes, you understand  . Meanwhile - as a matter of interest, just how much photo-scenery is out there for X Plane users that treeline autogen would enhance?

If you have the forests in shape file format, these can be imported straight into X-Plane using tools such as OSM2XP or my own World2XP (I'm working on shapefile import in addition to OSM). I use various tricks to try and create treelines from OSM data, such as running trees along fields, rivers and drains. Sometimes it works really well for little effort (e.g. In Netherlands and Germany), other times if can produce trees on runways. Even without buildings, trees really add a third-dimension to otherwise flat scenery.

If you have the forests in shape file format, these can be imported straight into X-Plane using tools such as OSM2XP or my own World2XP...

We should talk. I have tremendous amounts of data, in various standard GIS formats, far surpassing anything you can find using OSM. Much of that went into creating Treeline North America.

Hope you make it available for North America!