Sign in to follow this  
tam210

should i upgrade yet have i5 2500k + gtx580

just having a shop about keeping up with all the new tech and wondering if i should start thinking about a upgrade.

specs:

i5 2500k @ 4.5ghz

noctua nh 14 cooler

gigabyte ud4 b3 motherboard

evga gtx580 sc

ocz vertex 2 120gb

do you guys see any point in upgrading i am still pritty happy and it still tears through new games but its getting on for 3 years old and usually upgrade every 4

do you think i would be better just gettting a couple of high capacity ssd's and get another couple years out it or start saving.

i usually wait till next gen comes out wait 2-3 months to get a idea of overclocking capability and gpu and good solid reviews what your opinions.

If your current gear is doing the job, why upgrade? Dropping an ssd in there, for your OS will give a nice little performance boost to your start up time. It should tide you over for a year. By then Intel should have their next-gen, 8 core CPU's on the market. (expected Q1-2 of 2015) As well, Nvidia should have their new (800 series) GPU's out.

regards, Jazz

Agree - if you are stable at 4.5 GHz, there is not much more to get from the newest i5 CPUs..

Bert

yeah thats what im thinking just get a new ssd as the vertex 2 ssd i have currently performance is starting to go a bit and looking at comparisons with my vertex 2 and the newer ssd's is like night and day with 2x 3x more performance and there getting into the still not cheap but affordable price for a 512gb ssd compared to when i bought my 120gb back then it was £130 now you can pick up a 500+ ssd for £185

thanks think a 840 evo ssd and couple 3tb hardrives is the right way to go for now :mellow: