Sign in to follow this  
jscott5150

Help with vor navigation

I am still having problems with VOR navigation . I am trying to do some short trips. I can find the airports I want and use an online flight map get the compass settings. I can usually find nearby V OR,stations to set my machine.

If fly ottawa CYOW to Cornwall CYCC the only vor station I can see is IinMassena. If I use this how to I get my radial to grt Cornwall . I know ottawa to Cornwall is 119 degrees .

Thank you

There is no suitable VORs there I would use to fly that route. Anyway, what's the point of flying VOR navigation like that? 

i'd put in ottawa vor 114.60 radial 124 to cycc and after t/o cyow intercept that radial asap.

Then put in massena 114.10 in nav 2 on 226 degrees. when they intercept eachother you're there ;)

But as said, learning vor nav works better on a different, longer route.

-Roland

I would suggest you to fly non rnav SID/STAR and to practice holdings. That would give you much better practice than that VOR routes.

I would but just trying to learn the basics on short flight with vor as it is confiding me

Confusing me

If fly ottawa CYOW to Cornwall CYCC the only vor station I can see is IinMassena. If I use this how to I get my radial to grt Cornwall . I know ottawa to Cornwall is 119 degrees .

Using skyvector YOW CYCC I would also do as the sparkie66 suggested... use the Ottawa VOR for VOR1 and set the OBS to 124°

Except...

When using the Massena VOR for VOR2, I would set that OBS to 46° -- use it as a Radial i.e. with a FROM indication. (explained in a moment)

Depart CYOW and fly a heading of 80°.  This puts you on roughly a 45° intercept for the YOW 124° Radial.  With a FROM indication, the needle will be on the left... as it centers up, intercept the course.

Now... you can dial in say, 320° in VOR2.  MSS is on the right side of the course... so if you dial in 320° the needle should be on the right, meaning you have not crossed that radial yet (this with a FROM indication).  As it centers up, you can set to 330°, it should be on the right... as it centers up, you know you are intersecting that radial.

Reason I suggest this... It is fairly easy to see where the 0° radial of MSS intersects your course.  If you switch over to the "World Lo" while at skyvector, you can see that the YOW 124° Radial & the intersection of the MSS 0° Radial is very close to ADVIK waypoint... and ADVIK just 9nm from CYCC (according to skyvector).

So resetting the VOR2 OBS every 10° (or whatever you wish) early on allows you to track your progress along the route.

ADVIK > MSS 04° Radial -- 9nm from CYCC
ARVIE > MSS 34° Radial -- 2.6nm from CYCC
CYCC  > MSS 46° Radial

Here's another good link to help understand the VOR
http://www.luizmonteiro.com/learning_vor_sim.aspx

-Rob

A great sim, whose free version we can always try is:

http://www.luizmonteiro.com/learning_vor_sim.aspx

many other sims available there.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...