Sign in to follow this  
marius scheepers

An SSD Question

Good day Captains! (or am i actually allowed to say that, due to Robert using that sentence)

In any case let me continue, my PC setup isnt too bad i could run the PMDG 777 jip had some VAS issues, but the last few flights (crossed fingers) i havent experienced it again. Now my FSX and all related products ORBX, AS Next, Avliasoft, ORBX was running on a seperate drive which was a normal 1TB HDD.

I got myself a large SSD and all my FSX goodies would fit on there with some spare capacity, now here is the question:

1. Do i just Copy my entire D:/ HDD drive to my new E:/ SSD?

2. Will all the programs that have now moved to the E: Drive work without making changes?

3. I must still use FS Registry fix, will this fix all the links

4. Will my PMDG 777 run better on the SSD than the HDD??

Ok i think thats enough for now as i get answers more questions would probably follow.

Thanks all!!

1. Yes, but change the drive letter to the original letter in Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk management. Right click the drive -> Change Letter and Path (something like that, im going from memory here!). You wil need to change the old drive's letter first though. Backup first, and go careful. Plan your strategy and understand what you are doing and why you are doing it before you do so! If you just copy your original FSX installation to a new drive with a different letter and expect everything to run happily, you could be in for a world of pain. I would do this:

a. Copy the contents of D: (current) to E: (SSD)

b. Change the drive letter of D: to any available letter so the letter 'D' is available for your new drive.

c. Change E: to D:

2. See #1 - unless the new drive signature trips a need for reactivation. You may want to deactivate your 777 in the FMC first and then reactivate - up to you.

3. Might as well, it wont hurt.

4. No FPS / VAS benefits if thats what you mean. Faster loading times would be the main reason to get an SSD. Might reduce stutters as FSX loads scenery as you fly along, but dont expect miracles other than loading times. I found a normal drive could keep up with the speed that heavies fly at, though.

You cant copy it while Windows is running - use a tool like Acronis True Image to "clone" the one drive to the other. This might involve creating a bootable CD to run the program off.

I would ghost an image of old drive then ghost back onto new SDD drive.

Assuming everything was working perfectly on old drive.

Western Digital's My Book external HDDs include a limited licence of Acronis True Image (their offers in Germany, for sure). The "locked version" allows for full drive backups and also for cloning internal drives to the external HDD and the other way round.

Thanks Adrian,

Very comprehensive response i will most definetely try what you have proposed, my thought was not that it would make FSX better or whatever but it might help by reducing small issues i.e. stuttering etc s it doest need to read/write at a much slower speed than the HDD.

Cheerio

Marius

I would not clone a HDD to an SSD...due to the fact that the sector arrangement is completely different to an SSD. You need to start from 0, installing everything, that is the best to way to keep performance at top levels. If you clone the HDD, your SSD might suffer performance issues.

You can copy the FSX folder while Windows is running...

Ghosting is only required if you want to copy the OS drive.

Bert