Sign in to follow this  
Pete S

What happened to my airport terrain?

Hi,

Just started my FSX after about a month absence and all of a sudden some of my airport terrains are really screwed up.

The runway elevations are way off and the are voids in the runway and objects floating.

So far I've seen it at 2 airports: The default KSEA and payware  KDFW, but I'm sure there are plenty more.

My home airport KOKC is fine all of the ground looks normal.

Can anyone shed some light as to what may have happened? I don't recall installing anything that would cause this problem!

I would attach a screen shot, but I don't see a way to do it in this new forum.

Any help would be appreciated, I don't want to reinstall the whole thing!

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

do you have any addon software installed??

like UTX or orbx anything that might install it's own mesh

maybe some more info about what you have installed will give people a better idea

steve

Did your computer install any updates that might have affected your graphics card, new driver or ??

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Hi Steve,

Yes I have lots of addons installed, including UTX and many ORBX programs , but they have been installed for a long time and this problem has just recently appeared.  I'm sure it has to be a mesh problem, but can't figure out why now?

I don't recall installing any other software lately, except for ORBX KMRY which I have already removed hoping that it may solve the problem!

The only other software I have installed in the last 30 days are some Megascenery  Cities which don't involve any mesh adjustments!

I even tried to restore some total  FSX back ups from Feb and March but that didn't solve it either.

I am totally miffed as to what might have happened and I'm afraid that a complete FSX reinstall is going to have to be done. I'm hoping to find some old back-ups of a clean FSX that I know I should have somewhere. And start adding scenery slowly.

Whatever it is It is also starting to raise the temps on my CPU when running FSX, way over what they used to be when running the sim.

Pete S.

Did your computer install any updates that might have affected your graphics card, new driver or ??

I did install some  NVidia driver updates! Guess it's may be worth checking out, although I don't think that would only affect just a few airport meshes.

Anyone else running a Geforce GTX with latest  335.23  drivers?

Pete S.

10th gen CPU I7-10700K, MSI MPG Z490 Gaming Edge MB, RAM 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB-DDR4 3600, 

2X 1TB Sabrent Rocket Q M.2 Nvme SSD. Enermax RGB CPU Liquid Cooler.(Still waiting on Evga RTX 3080 Video)

if you are using FTX central try setting it to default then back to north america.do you have any orbx regions..ie NCA or PNW.looks like elevation issues which i have seen when installing patches into some of my orbx regions.

steve

Thanks Steve,

This sounds like something that may have occurred. I did do some ORBX updates and I have PNW and NCA as well as most of their NA scenery installed. I can't remember exactly when I did the last update but I thing it was fairly recent. I never even thought about the updates!

I will certainly investigate it and let you know if it solved my problem.

I love the ORBX stuff!

Pete S.

Pete S.

Well....I have come to a realization, that the only way I'll get FSX to perform like it used to, is to do a complete uninstall and installing a fresh FSX and Acceleration. I removed all traces of FSX from my system and will be buying  the FSX Gold Version for my main System,  now I can have a second install on my other PC with my Old FSX Deluxe and Acceleration DVDs.

I will also be more selective with the add-ons, rather than dumping them all on at once.

I can't believe the number of installed programs and  sceneries I seldom used.

Pete S.

Pete S.

Well I finally figured what the culprit was that gave me all the Mesh problems.

It was FTX Vectors which is a great program, but since it is a Terrain Mesh+ program it can create a problem with some 3rd party airports. Fortunately there is an adjustment in the FTX Vectors Configurator Panel that allows to turn off AEC (Airport Elevation Corrections) at selected airports. That took care of that!

But I'm still glad I reinstalled FSX because it was really getting cluttered with endless addons, that seldom got used!

Pete S.