Sign in to follow this  
VPA481

Failure with no failure

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a wonderful time flying a BA T7 from KBOS to EGLL, approaching in good weather conditions, but all of a sudden, I had a "EFFIS CONTROL PNL L" message, checked and yes, I was unable to chage data on the screen.

I checked in the FMC / Failures: no failure activated.

Any idea ?

Cheers.

Hi all,

Yesterday I had a wonderful time flying a BA T7 from KBOS to EGLL, approaching in good weather conditions, but all of a sudden, I had a "EFFIS CONTROL PNL L" message, checked and yes, I was unable to chage data on the screen.

I checked in the FMC / Failures: no failure activated.

Any idea ?

Cheers.

Hi,

First of you have got to sign your name,it is necessary you do so on the PMDG forums.

Well lets see...

first check if you have service based failures to on..this might have caused it.

1)What that message means is that your EFIS control  panel L has failed (or) CDU control of the EFIS is used,check if you had set the EFIS to ON in the CDU menu page.

If it was on,It may have caused the problem.

2)If the option was set to off,in the first place and you still got that message,it mean the EFIS control panel left has indeed failed,that is when you use the related CDU option for the EFIS control.

Hope this helps.

warm regards,

H.Mahesh

P.S:at times like this you should refer to the QRH,very handy that book. ^_^

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

Service based failures are activated. And nothing was changed to the menu options. What is strange is that when a failure happens I always saw in the CDU the activated failure.

In this case, nothing. So, I was hesitating between either failure not mentioned in CDU, or bug/glitch.

I will dig further (with my QRH which is always not far from me ;) )

In this case, nothing. So, I was hesitating between either failure not mentioned in CDU, or bug/glitch.

...or neither.

Again, have a closer look at the second part of H.Mahesh's point number 1:

"(or) CDU control of the EFIS is used,check if you had set the EFIS to ON in the CDU menu page."

My bet is user "error" on this one.

By that, I mean it's not an "error" really - it's just a lack of understanding of what you're doing versus how the plane is going to react to that.  In your case, you likely chose to control the display via the CDU, but didn't realize that controlling the display via the CDU would create that message, and disable the display control panel control (the panel to the right of the MCP) of that screen.

Kyle Rodgers