Sign in to follow this  
TommyK154

Military Cargo Planes

I've been looking for some military cargo planes and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. So far I've found Captain Sim C-130, Area 51 C-5, Area 51 C-17, Virtavia C-17. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they any good in flight model? Also how "deep" are their systems? And when it comes to the C-17 which is best between the companies? Thanks in advance!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I have both the CS C-130 and Virtavia C-17 and I would have to say that neither of their systems are particularly deep, certainly not of PMDG level where nearly everything is modelled. Saying that, the C-130 is arguably CS's best product and I very much enjoy flying it. I also really like the Virtavia C-17 for it's short field ability and challenge myself to get it into increasingly small and difficult strips. I do however tend to just 'jump in and fly' the C-17 much as though I would a Cessna rather than delve deeply into it's systems! If I want to fly with system depth, then I tend to go for my PMDG 777 or 747, QW 146, Flight One King Air or Majestic Q400. I think Milviz may be developing a C-130 too, so if that is true waiting for that might be another option.

Bill

Hey Bill thanks for your input! I probably should rephrase the deep systems, I didn't mean flight planning so much as having clickable buttons that actually do stuff i.e wipers and modeled electrical systems with real-ish start ups and shut downs stuff like that. I like to just fly I don't really mess around with charts or planning, but I do like to go thru all the motions and checklists. That's why I love my A2A Cessna so much but I'm ready to something bigger and fast and I think military cargo planes are awesome so I'm starting there

Hi TommyK154,

I have the CaptainSim C130 package, well it was actually from JustFlight as a CD, great plane and lots of animations and seems to fly nice too.

You didn't say what countries military cargo planes you were interested in, if your in the UK then the Quality Wings 146 package is good, someone has done an RAF repaint for it too. Also there is the Captain Sim Lockheed L1011 Tristar which flies beautifully and also has an RAF grey paint job out there, I know they have just been retired but brilliant if you want large aircraft. If you want French or German then look for the Nord Noratlas Project, it's a twin prop with tail booms lots of animations and stuff, best of all it's freeware too...........I think there are some updates too, so you might have to search around a bit. Also depending how far back you want to go, the US air force flew the Boeing Stratocruiser which A2A do and there is a military paint available for that too.

Hope these ideas give you some idea's.

Happy Flying.

Taking up Stretch's suggestions, you can get military skins for the excellent Uiver/Flight1 DC-2 and then there's Manfred Jahn's celebrated (freeware) C47 and C117 - and he is now working on a C-97 Stratofreighter. Other freeware options you might check would be the FS KBT Orion and the HS.748. There's also a military (Airbus) Cargo 400M available at SimMarket that I've seen favourable comment on, and Iris' C-27 Spartan (oddly marketed as 'Tactical Airlifter').