Sign in to follow this  
winningfreak

P3D 2.2 low FPS issuse

This is driving me crazy, I can run 20 FPS no issues while on the group in a default plane. If I switch to a payware airport ( Flightbeam PHX or IAD ) im down to 13-14 FPS on the ground in a default plane. Dare I try a payware plane 9FPS seems to be where it's at.

if I turn all the sliders down and run on minimum I can get 10-11FPS. Dunno what i'm doing wrong, Tried a fresh install tonight of P3D and am still having issues.

My Rig:
AMD FX-8350
ATI 6950 2GB

16GB 1300MHz DDR3 ram

anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Do you use full screen? On my system on full screen or full window mode my frames drop by half. If I make the window mode slightly smaller, as in having a border around the desktop( only a 3rd of a inch) then my frames double. I've only had this issue since moving from Nvidia to AMD cards.

David.

Anything that is more demanding on your GPU/CPU other than default scenery or aircrafts, what most addons probably are, will decrease your FPS. If you're running only 20 FPS to start with, you have already nothing left as buffer for heavier addons.

To start with I would advise on turning off Tesselation, lower/turn off shadow settings and lower your scenery density settings and try to get your FPS over 30 before you try any addons. Or even up to 40 before using an external weather engine. When using an external weather engine, decrease cloud layers to 2 and draw distance to 70 (80max). Also water reflection settings in P3D can be a problem on FPS as is AI trafic.

Try turning one setting down or off and see what your FPS does, then another setting, see what it does and so on. This way you can find out which settings put most strain on your system and with that info, you can choose what's important for you to increase and how much, or what to leave out. You can do the same thing with tweaks for your prepar3d.cfg although P3Dv2 should also benefit from not tweaking CFG at all. Right now I'm only using an affinity mask and loosing all other tweaks improved my FPS by 10.

Unfortunately, I can only talk from experience when it comes to Intel/Nvidia based systems, as I dont have any experience at all with AMD based systems. Maybe an idea to also check the P3D forums, there are a lot of posts about increasing FPS (as this is quite a relevant issue) and I did see quite a few posts concerning AMD hardware as well. Maybe you can find some tips and tricks there.

Cheers!

Maarten

Thanks for the replies guys,

I tried playing with the screen resolution and that got my a bump of 1-2 FPS was really excited to load and see 30 FPS but once I got to a payware airport/aircraft I was back to the good old 9-11 FPS

Still hoping to get this issue fixed or I might be requesting a refund. In FSX with the same stuff installed I was running 17-25 FPS.

Setting up the affinity mask setting in your cfg file is the 1st place to start. (ie 8 core = 255). Then it's matter of adjusting your graphic settings in P3D, and flying for few days. Make another adjustment, and fly a few more days. It takes time to understand what your particular system can handle. Check my pc specs, and keep in mind I am getting fps in the range between 30 (city) - 70 (PNW mountain region). Your pc is capable, you just have to test it. (unfortunately)

regards, Jazz.

Lots of useful info here: forum.avsim.net/topic/444793-one-tweak-to-rule-them-all-how-to-set-affinity-mask-correctly/ 

added forum link

Edited by Jazzfan

Also remember that autogen sliders at half way is like fsx sliders at full - but as stated affinity mask is very important

Rich Sennett

Here is a situation that I have one across and that is overclocking was overheating equals throttling ...have you checked for that?

It IS summertime

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

WOW did Affinity masking make a huge difference. Thanks to everyone who made suggestions. I've managed to up my frames from the 9-11 range to 18.5-22 range which is actually usable now. Now to installing more addons!

If summer temperatures lead to a throttling of your system from overheating, then you should seriously stop playing with overclocking as you don't have a clue how to do it properly. So many people out there who think overclocking just means playing around with BIOS settings and then they get CTDs and they kill their system. This is just meant as a good advice. If you don't really understand what you are doing then stop overclocking. Otherwise, the only result will be frustration. Especially since in Prepared V2 overclocking leads to only minor improvements.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT