Sign in to follow this  
funkyhut1

3 Cool SP1 Observations - Thank You PMDG!

This is not a scientifically based check but some simple observations:

1. The weather radar in SP1 seems to be working just great with OpusFSI Beta 4.00.19 which is great!
  2. At EGLL (UK2000) with my settings unchanged, I'm getting a 4fps increase from 15 to 19 throughout the takeoff roll on 27R. With Fiber Accelerator I can get a comfortable 24 on the same roll.
  3. Process Explorer - Sysinternals is now showing VAS at 2.8 while before SP1 it was touching 3.1. Once airborne and about 10 miles out turning North, VAS drops to a very cool 2.6 (pre SP1 it was about 2.85)

After installing SP1, FSX had a hard time getting started and took ages but eventually it staggered into life and ran just fine. Second run was the same as pre SP1 installation.

Thank you all at PMDG core and all the beta team who have made all this possible.

Chris Stanley VTCC

This is not a scientifically based check but some simple observations:

1. The weather radar in SP1 seems to be working just great with OpusFSI Beta 4.00.19 which is great!
  2. At EGLL (UK2000) with my settings unchanged, I'm getting a 4fps increase from 15 to 19 throughout the takeoff roll on 27R. With Fiber Accelerator I can get a comfortable 24 on the same roll.
  3. Process Explorer - Sysinternals is now showing VAS at 2.8 while before SP1 it was touching 3.1. Once airborne and about 10 miles out turning North, VAS drops to a very cool 2.6 (pre SP1 it was about 2.85)

After installing SP1, FSX had a hard time getting started and took ages but eventually it staggered into life and ran just fine. Second run was the same as pre SP1 installation.

Thank you all at PMDG core and all the beta team who have made all this possible.

Weather radar working with Opus? Could you clarify, i thought it only works with ASN  :huh:

Dominik

I'm not an expert by any means but for me at EGLL on 27R right now with Opus as above I see a cell approaching from the South West both on the radar and out of the window and it's in light rain.

How cool is that?

I'm also able to insert the wind data to the FMS.

Chris Stanley VTCC

Very happy myself about the VAS footprint with SP1 and the fps I'm enjoying.

The wx radar controls can also be accessed via the radio panel popup which is very handy.

With SP1 the T7 accelerated nicely during climb through heavy turbulence.

Also the native FSX flightplan creation comes in handy for RC4.3 and for VoxATC - thanks a lot, PMDG!!

I'm not an expert by any means but for me at EGLL on 27R right now with Opus as above I see a cell approaching from the South West both on the radar and out of the window and it's in light rain.

How cool is that?

I'm also able to insert the wind data to the FMS.

Perhaps you are confusing the Opus weather map with the PMDG weather radar :)

however, glad to hear all the positive comments concerning that big bird, gonna get it too soon.

Dominik

Similar feelings here. Well, maybe in all that enthusiasm and joy I am just seeing want I would like to see.

But still after a few hours of testing last night (didn't sleep much, lol), I am almost sure I have seen improvements in performance (both FPS, VAS, and general smoothness).

I still have to break my current laziness and learn operating and reading the the weather radar, which seems such a fantastic tool.

Time permitting, I am planning a medium haul flight (between a European airport and Dubai) today or tomorrow and literally can't wait.

Hopefully my love for long hauls will now be reborn thanks to this bird. She will make me very busy before the 747v2 comes out.

As for the radar, I am using ASN but on behalf of all the fellow simmers I hope OPUS, FSGRW, REX, and any other WX addons will work with the 777.

Perhaps you are confusing the Opus weather map with the PMDG weather radar :)

I'm not confusing the Opus map with the WX Radar display.

My weather is from OpusFSI and when I change the weather in Opus it shows in the WX Radar display in the T7.

I do have ASN on a networked PC but it is not running and has not been used in a while (4 weeks I guess) since I started to use Opus for weather and views.

(From what I understand, ASN has a particular way of connecting the in-sim weather to the T7, some dll "thingy" or whatever. Once that is installed, per the install of ASN, then it's possible to use any weather source to provide weather to the sim from where the ASN "thigy" translates it for the T7 WX radar????????).

Whatever, I'm thrilled that OpusFSI works.

Chris Stanley VTCC

Very happy myself about the VAS footprint with SP1 and the fps I'm enjoying.

The wx radar controls can also be accessed via the radio panel popup which is very handy.

With SP1 the T7 accelerated nicely during climb through heavy turbulence.

Also the native FSX flightplan creation comes in handy for RC4.3 and for VoxATC - thanks a lot, PMDG!!

The implementation of the wx radar, including the EGPWS indications, callouts and stuff, is really neat.

I found the T7 accelerates o.k. through turbulence; the only FDE thing I'd wish for is, if it could decelerate as nicely in turbulence (pls. note I wasn't on A/T during the descent, but set throttles to idle manually - an FDE thingy more than an automation thingy, I'd reckon.)

My FPS has improved too and I have not encountered a single issue at all. Everything working fine. Weather radar & ASN :)

I'm also definitely seeing a performance increase with SP1 installed.

What are others computers doing while activating taxicam?

On the ground I had 33 without and 8 to14 with taxicams on.

During cruise I get 44frames (taxicam off) and 30 with the cams on.

Definitely seeing a big performance hit as expected.

(Not a complaint, just want to compare with others)

Hi,

I'd like to make small comment. Given that ASN is installed, the wxr radar of any aircraft taking advantage of ASN functionality will give "returns", even if ASN itself is not running. This can happen with the default fsx weather too. Still, the actual effects you'll encounter in the sim will not match what the radar shows unless ASN is up and running. This includes ambient precipitation, turbulence etc not to mention windshear encounters. ASN is designed "around the radar", so it makes sure that what the signals show, is what you'll get in the sim. Otherwise, the effects will be generic and  not accurate

Thanks,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi,

I'd like to make small comment. Given that ASN is installed, the wxr radar of any aircraft taking advantage of ASN functionality will give "returns", even if ASN itself is not running. This can happen with the default fsx weather too. Still, the actual effects you'll encounter in the sim will not match what the radar shows unless ASN is up and running. This includes ambient precipitation, turbulence etc not to mention windshear encounters. ASN is designed "around the radar", so it makes sure that what the signals show, is what you'll get in the sim. Otherwise, the effects will be generic and  not accurate

Thanks,

Thank you for clarifying this Kostas. Very helpful in deciding which way to go.

Chris Stanley VTCC