Sign in to follow this  
vanzunator

Brief workflow tutorial: PMDG 777 SP1 Company Datalink function with PFPX + Active Sky Next (ASN)

The thing that seem unclear to me is that ASN is really sending forecast ? And not actual winds ? And how can we know wich forecast it is (6, 12, 18, 24) ?

That would be the point. If ASN sent current weather for a fix that you won't be at for another few hours, then it wouldn't be as accurate. The forecast is likely a mix, depending on the estimated time to the fix.

Kyle Rodgers

A mix ? Do you mean a mixtween the different forceast available, for example if eta at the point is 15 it will take the average between values from forecats of 12 and forecast of 18 ?

Not sure. That's a HiFi question. My guess is that the program is intelligently choosing the particular forecast based on when you're planned to be over it. Based on how they "fill in the gaps" of the upper wind with interpolation, I have a feeling they might be here, but again - that's a HiFi question.

Kyle Rodgers

Kyle, 

maybe you can confirm this seeing as you have spent a lot of time with the developers and beta testing. Although this is not PMDG specific. Am I correct in believing that when you load a flight plan in ASN and it calculates the values, it will then also LOCK the flightplan winds/temps it has calculated to your flight progress? In other words, if my ASN plan says that in 3:45 hrs, when I pass over a certain waypoint at FL390, the actual winds will actually match what the flight plan says?

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

maybe you can confirm this seeing as you have spent a lot of time with the developers and beta testing. Although this is not PMDG specific. Am I correct in believing that when you load a flight plan in ASN and it calculates the values, it will then also LOCK the flightplan winds/temps it has calculated to your flight progress? In other words, if my ASN plan says that in 3:45 hrs, when I pass over a certain waypoint at FL390, the actual winds will actually match what the flight plan says?

Nope. It'll continue to adjust based on real world weather adjustments. Just like in the real world: a flight plan is a flight plan, not a flight actuality. If it were, we wouldn't need the actual columns to track performance versus the estimates.

The only "locking" it offers is to lock the weather of the destination airport for the convenience of not having the weather unrealistically update suddenly when on short final. This option is dependent on giving it a flight plan, as otherwise, the program has no idea where you're going.

Kyle Rodgers

Ok, the reason I asked was that my long routes matched time and fuel to the gallon when I flew with a loaded flightplan. That is why I thought it was doing so.... Thanks.

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

You've got me curious now. If HiFi/ASN is really allowing it's wind file to be written in terms of a basic winds aloft prediction, then that would be totally acceptable to load into the FMS. I always thought it was a "this is what is happening in the world right now, but we'll show you the TAF" type of program. 

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity