Sign in to follow this  
Guest mgerner

Third party weather software question?

I have used FSMeteo for some years with great satisfaction and was happy to see that several posts acknowledge reception of a new version for we who purchased the previous upgrade suitable for FS9. My previous purchase was after the date specified so it does qualify for this upgrade.Since the time of the previous FSMeteo purchase, I have upgraded from dialup to high speed internet/email service through another supplier (and a new email address). Assuming that I would not receive whatever others are receiving by email relative to this upgrade due to the address change, I contacted Marc to notify him of my new address. I attached a copy of the email I received from Marc with the attachement of the previous version both for reinstallation and reference. Unfortunately, for some reason this is not sufficient documentation and a copy of my original purchase documentation, (not Marc's delivery doucumentation) is required. (NEVER DISCARD ANYTHING huh!).Even though I do not fully understand this, let me make it clear that I am not meaning to bad mouth FSMeteo or any other contribution, free or payware. I am afraid I created the problem for myself.However, being that a new purchase would be required to receive the FSMeteo upgrade, I thought it wise to take a peek at all of the current options. A number of posts seem to evaluate Active Sky a little higher than FSMeteo. Does ActiveSky include a Weather Display panel gauge similar to that for FSMeteo? Any opinions regarding such evaluation between these two programs or any others relative to weather would be appreciated.Thanks:RTH

Well to be honest with you I recommend Weather Maker Pro. You can try a demo version of it at: http://www.weather-maker.com.You not only get realtime weather, but the ability to custom create your weather like no other 3rd party software offers.Reed

Reed Stough
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

supportwww.rexaxis.com

I used FSMeteo for years and when Active Sky first came out tried it and liked it.I now use the latest version of AS2004.5 and will not be upgrading FSMeteo, for me FSMeteo did not keep up with the competition and I consider I get better support from ActiveSky than I would from Marc.To answer your specific question, yes Activesky does have a weather radar gauge to place in your cockpit.The work Damian and Pete have done to overcome the shortcommings of FS9's weather system I think are amazing and the continued free updates of AS2004.5 show outstanding commitment from Damian in his quest for perfection.You may have guessed I really like ActiveSky :-)

Thanks everybody:Sounds like a pretty near consensus opinion from here and on other forums is Active Sky which pretty well matches other posts relative to third party weather contributions.I got prompt replies from Marc, but unfortunately they were all negative. He did acknowledge that I was on record but said I was outdated for the free update. I don't really understand this but maybe he is right. A post regarding the update says that anyone purchasing by October 31, 2003 was eligible for a free update which led me to believe I was included. As I stated earlier, I do not have a record of the purchase, but my delivery email was november 25, 2003 @ 9:55 PM. Surely it did not take a month for delivery or old impatient me would have been enraged. (Maybe the October 31 date is in error????).Thanks everybody:RTH

Finally understood the clarification. Apparently my November 2003 delivery of the new version for FS2004 was free from Marc and this old memory could not remember the details.If you want speedy response for any communications and answers, Marc is number one. Anything over just a few mins. would be unusual.Purchased the FSMeteo version 7.0 and so far am VERY PLEASED. For the first time, FSNav, Panel, and FSMeteo agree as to wind/speed displays. Transitions are not smooth as silk.Happy Flying:RTH

Finally understood the clarification. Apparently my November 2003 delivery of the new version for FS2004 was free from Marc and this old memory could not remember the details.If you want speedy response for any communications and answers, Marc is number one. Anything over just a few mins. would be unusual.Purchased the FSMeteo version 7.0 and so far am VERY PLEASED. For the first time, FSNav, Panel, and FSMeteo agree as to wind/speed displays. Transitions ARE smooth as silk.Happy Flying:RTH

Guest mgerner

I have both programs - and am using Active Sky only. It's great!

Guest Graeme Paterson

Can only agree re FSMETEO Version 7.0. I qualified for a free upgrade and have been using the programme quite intensively over the last few days - i had discarded version 6.4 in favour of Activesky.All i can say is that my impressions are very favourable. The stutters I experienced in v6.4 when the weather updated seem to have been reduced significantly and also i agree that the transitions seem to be handled better. All in all i am very happy with it.RegardsGraeme

I'm with Rhodges and Graeme on this one. Updated to version 7.0 and have been very pleased with it. In version 6.4 weather updates could really cause some bad stutters, that is smoothed out, transitions are much smoother and when you climb into clear air the ground below still looks hazy which in earlier versions suddenly cleared. Handles the weather much I like I encounter when really flying which is why I bought FSMeteo in the first place.Zane

Dr Zane Gard

Posted Image

Sr Staff Reviewer AVSIM

Private Pilot ASEL since 1986 IFR 2010

AOPA 00915027

American Mensa 100314888