Sign in to follow this  
jgoggi

Lightning strike?

Hi, I was thinking that one of the risks you run when flying through a thunderstorm in real life is being struck by a lightning, with consequent possible electrical problems (besides structural damages). I guess this is not simulated in the 777 with ASN and the lightnings are only textures appearing now and then. Has anyone thought of an interaction between the aircraft and the lightnings in a future update?

Thanks.

James Goggi

I guess it's very easy to come up with the ideas to make FSX, ASN, 777 more realistic, but to turn those ideas in to computer code and for it all to work correctly and see the results you wish for is no easy task. But saying that I'm amazed how these software companies do produce these addons and make them so realistic.

Has anyone thought of an interaction between the aircraft and the lightnings in a future update?

For what it's worth, most lightning strikes are pretty benign, and not really even worth the effort.  Aircraft are designed to withstand such events, and have been designed in such a way that the plane itself is somewhat of a "Farraday" cage.  The concept is that a "circuit" is created by the outer, metallic surfaces such that none of the electricity gets too far through it.  The massive amount of electromagnetic energy that it gives off, though, is enough to mess with the lights, radios and electronics temporarily.  There are reports where the lightning has knocked the electronics off line, but from what I can recall (anecdotally, anyway), most of the electronics failures from lightning have been in the general aviation realm.

The only remaining issue is the heat, which is what you see if you search for pictures.  Not sure how you could model melting airframes in FSX... 

Kyle Rodgers