Sign in to follow this  
w9nwrwi

Approach Control optionals

Dave,

If my approach control for KATW is handled by KGRB, during the approach request for Vectors for ILS approach" for "Runway 03"

I assume I need to also add the (optional)  REQ of AT and (optional)  REQ of ICAO code???  Flight plan into KATW was filed.

I tried without the optional' s and she just kept telling me "radar contact" and then silence.

I was just about to do the optionals when P2ATC crashed :mad: ....reason unknown...details within the error window very sketchy.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

WD SN850 M2 2TB PSU 1000W. 360 AIO.cooling.

Chuck,

There are a lot of variables that would alter the answer to your question.

In general, if you are on an IFR flight plan and contact Approach Control INSIDE the Approach Radius, you will begin to get directions to the ILS for your destination airport.  However, if you are OUTSIDE the Approach Controller Radius, you will get the same response you normally get from ATC Center, which is what you got.  Then, when you pass INSIDE of the Approach Controller Radius, you should start getting the vectors to the ILS pattern.

The optional request with ICAO code is for situations where you are flying VFR or without a flight plan and want to get vectors to an airport or its ILS or visual approach.

Not sure what caused the crash.  I'll be uploading version 1.4 later today and hopefully that will fix the bug you hit.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I think I had better take a break.....Inside the control radius, outside the control radius....but I do not know on the map where my radius areas are...

Tried your suggestion from last week, knocked off the flight, got a confirmation, asked for vectors back to departing airport with ICAO code and it gave me vectors to destination airport.

Thanks for trying to help this frustrated old curmudgeon!!

I am done for a few days.  Will download the 1.4.

Chuck

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700KF CPU @ 4.90GHz  32.0 GB RAM Windows 11 Home NVIDIA RTX 3080Ti 12GB Multi monitors

Hi Chuck. 

I understand your frustration.  I need to explain a little better for everyone's benefit.

If you're on an IFR flight plan, you should be handed off to the Approach controller by the ATC Center controller.  In this case, if there is an ILS approach available at the Destination airport, you will be given vectors to that airport.

Another scenario usually arises when you are, for example 50NM from the Destination airport on a VFR flight plan and decide you want vectors to an ILS approach.  You call up Approach control and ask for same.  If you have your Approach Radius in the Misc Settings tab of the Configuration window set to 30, Approach control will let you continue on your filed flight segment until you reach 30 NM from the airport and then start giving you vectors to the desired approach.

If you want to change your Destination Airport, for example to return to the Departing Airport as you did, you need to do a DirectDetstinationChangeRequest, with the ATC Center controller.  That will create a new flight plan, or alter the existing one, to take you to the desired airport.  Once that is done, as you near the new destination airport, you can ask for vectors to the desired approach type.

Hope this clarifies a bit.  With all the possible scenarios, it is a little murky to say the least.

Thanks,

Dave

If you're on an IFR flight plan, you should be handed off to the Approach controller by the ATC Center controller.  In this case, if there is an ILS approach available at the Destination airport, you will be given vectors to that airport.

Another scenario usually arises when you are, for example 50NM from the Destination airport on a VFR flight plan and decide you want vectors to an ILS approach.  You call up Approach control and ask for same.  If you have your Approach Radius in the Misc Settings tab of the Configuration window set to 30, Approach control will let you continue on your filed flight segment until you reach 30 NM from the airport and then start giving you vectors to the desired approach.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I think I have the same problem as Chuck...

During 2 differents IFR flight plans the Approach Control has never given me a vector for a visual approach or ILS.

Below the dial with control :

Approach Piper Gulf Kilo Echo Lima Siera With you At Five Thousand Feet

Piper Gulf Kilo Echo Lima SieraRoger, Radar Contact.

Piper Gulf Kilo Echo Lima Siera Request Radar vectors For ILS Approach To Runway Two Three Left

Piper Gulf Kilo Echo Lima SieraRoger, Radar Contact.

I was in the 30 then 20 Nm radius from the runway. Finally I contacted the tower which gave me a correct vector to ILS.

This happens with the last and previous P2ATC version.

Thank you and Regards,

Richard Portier

Inside the control radius, outside the control radius....but I do not know on the map where my radius areas are...

Chuck

Chuck,

In the Pilot2Atc window up you have "Next Dis" and "Dest Dis". You can see how far you are from the airport.

Hope this help,

Regards,

Richard Portier

Richard Portier

MAXIMUS VI FORMULA|Intel® Core i7-4770K Oc@4.50GHz x8|NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080ti|M16GB DDR3|Windows10 Pro 64|P3Dv5|AFS2|TrackIr5|Saitek ProFlight Yoke + Quadrant + Rudder Pedal|Thrustmaster Warthog A10|

Thanks Dave,

Will try to be more cognizant of my position and the requirements for proper comm. I think I had too much going on and really wanted that ILS approach.  Also, I realized later on that on my approach to KATW that the controller told me that ILS was not available and I knew it was (in todays data), but in the static FSX data that I  think you use it must not be, thus the reason for the frustration at that point.

Looking forward to the ability to use the x-plane dynamic data in the future.

EDIT:

I just took a look at the P2ATC Database Maintenance  section. I see that KATW rwy 3 has  ILS, but the controller told me No ILS available. Now I am confused.

Hi Richard,

Yep, thanks for the Distance prod, sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees!

Off to the P2ATC manual.

Chuck

Chuck,

It's possible that the winds dictated a different runway than RWY 3.  If that active runway has no ILS, then no ILS is available for the controller to vector you to.

A feature of Pilot2ATC that was added recently to overcome this is the ability to request the ILS approach to a specific runway, which will override the active runway designation.

In the grammar helper, you will find a call named "ApproachRequest" that can be used to request an approach to a specific runway.  In your case, you should be able to say "<CallSign> Request Vectors for ILS to Runway Three" and get Approach to vector you to RW3, even if it is not the active runway. 

You could also request a specific runway in your initial call to Approach Control using the "InitialApproachContact" call or the extended version of the "InitialContact" call.  There are only minor differences in these two calls, either one should work.

Dave

Got it Dave,

Ran a short 75 mile flight plan (KSTE-KATW), nothing fancy but I was able to totally complete it with all controllers, with an ILS approach, landing and taxi to gate with instructions. Those approach pins on the map sure helped to see what is coming up.Whew!!!

Looks like the speech recognition is working quite well. I did not request anything special (rwy) but will get around to that.

One request from Tower did come up that I did not see a required response listed in the frmGrammer box.

That request was "Call when Established on ILS." I just answered with a "runway in sight response."

Thanks again for the help,

Chuck

Great Chuck.

Thanks for the report.  Glad to see things are working better.

There is an OnFinalContact call to tower that you could use when established on the ILS.  You would say something like "Beech One Victor Bravo Established on ILS, Runway xx"  and you would  get landing clearance.  Runway In Sight probably gave you the same result.

Dave