Sign in to follow this  
Timberleaf

Cost Index for regular flight?

What is a proper cost index, on average, for any given flight of the 737-800/900?  I have been using numbers around 25-35.

What is a proper cost index, on average, for any given flight of the 737-800/900?  I have been using numbers around 25-35.

I am using 36 for all 738-739 flights. I picked that figure to match some speed in PFPX. Prior to that I was using 17, 25, and 30 for Delta, American, and United respectively.

I don't think there are hard set numbers for each airline.

My airline uses 15 for a lazy flight where the plane is running on schedule. If there's a delay or strong headwinds, etc, they plane for 45 or 60. 30 is the middle.

It's really not a magic number. You just fly faster or slower.

Matt Cee

5 is the most common for us.  If we have strong headwinds or are late it will go up as high as 100.  Most of the time you end up adjusting the speeds anyway.  A CI of 100 gives you climb speeds of 335/.81, nobody likes to fly it that fast as you are just one bump away from overspeeding the airplane.

Usually around between 12 - 16 for us. Like Joe, on time critical sectors we occasionally use 100. Because the descent speed is so slow with CI 15, some airlines SOP is to manually set something like 280 kts on transition for the descent instead of ECON.

Hello, 

There was a post here on Avsim quite a while ago where someone gathered Cost Index data from quite a few airlines and compiled it into a single database.

There are quite a few "major" airlines listed in that database, however it doesn't include all airlines.

Here is the link for the Cost Index Database:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/336375-cost-index-database/

Kindest Regards, 

Daniel Pushkov

Repeat after me:

I will not continue the myth that cost indices are fixed values...

It's an honest question if you didn't know any better, but the reason the information isn't obviously available is related to the fact that it's not a fixed value.

I'll put this in some pretty plain terms up front so people don't have to continue to read my rant on the matter:

Asking for "appropriate" cost indices is like asking for "appropriate" METARs.  A cost index is a value that gives you optimal performance for that flight, on that date, at that time, with that crew, with that weather, with that air traffic picture, with those passengers, with that connecting flight...and the list goes on.  It changes.

More:

Kyle Rodgers