Sign in to follow this  
mikelockwood

Wingtip vortexes

Why doesn't the Pmdg 737 ngx and the 777 have vortex trails from the wing tips like the Fsx stock models? I read somewhere that the atmospheric conditions have to be correct for this to happen, but I have flown in all sorts of conditions at varying heights and never seen this with the Pmdg aircraft. can anyone enlighten me?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

You mean just wing tip vapor trails, or actual swirling vortex looking trails?

I don't recall ever seeing #2 in FSX..

I see wing tip vapor trails on the 737NGX quite often. And the WX does need to be right,

and it's usually at lower altitudes and when you are loading up the wings per say..

But it does work the same as the default 737 as far as the simple vapor trails.

It's a pity that the vortex is simulated to the wing tips while it should be at the end of the outboard flaps and beginning of the aileron.

Reg,

John

It's a pity that the vortex is simulated to the wing tips while it should be at the end of the outboard flaps and beginning of the aileron.
That's a FSX thing. Not a PMDG thing.

It's built into both programs. But I'm not running P3D to see what differences there are

in vapor locations. Also, being as the FSX NGX won't run on any of the later versions of P3D,

how can one tell what the NGX vapor would do in the current P3D version?

I don't usually see smoke locations for the wing tips unless it's added 3rd party. So I assume

they are using the wing geometry/tip locations to decide where to place the vapor.  ??

At this point, I would think P3D would be about the same being as they haven't added anything

new as far as the planes themselves. Or that I've heard of anyway..

You could add vapor at the flaps ends, etc if one wanted it. About the same as the added

vapor that is used on the FA/18 I run. But I don't know if you could turn off the default FSX tip

vapor. Maybe use a different name vapor texture/fx so it couldn't see the default, and then add

all new ones.  ?? I dunno without trying it. Sometimes when you delete textures like that

it can make black areas if the fx is still running and calling for the texture..  :(  yuk.

Also, if you did add vapor to flaps, I don't think you could make it follow the flap movement

without special fx trickery. You would have to compromise and decide on one point to place

it I think as it is stock..