Sign in to follow this  
aceridgey

Significant change in sound when spoilers are extended

hi guys,

Not sure if this is s bug or it's a realistic feature, but when the spoilers are extended the sound in the VC is noticeably muffled.

Is this supposed to happen?

Alex Ridge

Join Fswakevortex here! YOUTUBE and FACEBOOK

"noticeably muffled"

Hi Alex,

That shouldn't happen - as Preston said, there is a sub bass sound file that plays when the speed brakes are deployed in flight - it is mostly not audible, you should feel it rather than hear it, as it is that low in the frequency range!  Check your soundcard FX / EQ settings - you shouldnt have any "Bass boost" or similar effects running, or any other fancy special effects unique to your soundcard.  Or, it could be a speaker issue - sub bass sounds like this are not designed for laptop speakers or cheap desktop speakers - worst case, you can locate the sound file concerned and reduce its volume using an audio editor.

Cheers,

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

A friend sent me a video of their approach into Accra in the LR - when he used speedbrakes you could feel the rumble in the bass! So awesome how it sounds pretty much exact in the sim  B)

A friend sent me a video of their approach into Accra in the LR - when he used speedbrakes you could feel the rumble in the bass! So awesome how it sounds pretty much exact in the sim  B)

It's really cool when you have an axis assigned to the spoilers, and you hear/feel the sound varying as you control the spoilers. So cool.

I used to think the one thing I couldn't go without is TrackIR..  Then I drunk purchased a BK Gamer  one night -

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gaming/   Best sim investment I ever made. Spoiler rumble, landing gear, engine rumble on take off.. Flightsim just wouldn't be the same without it.

@Alex - check your sound card settings, your base frequency's are likely screwed.  

Rob Prest

Hi guys thanks for the reply,

I have always had this issue in the 777 with different installs. I haven't touched the sound settings at all. Thought this would be common ground, interesting.....

I think I may submit a ticket then

Alex

Alex Ridge

Hi guys thanks for the reply,

I have always had this issue in the 777 with different installs. I haven't touched the sound settings at all. Thought this would be common ground, interesting.....

Alex

Yea, we can't really hear what it sounds like on your system so I don't think anyone here can tell you if something's wrong, but PMDG might be able to diagnose it. 

There is a sub-bass rumble that increases in amplitude as you extend the spoilers further and further. In the real airplane this is felt as a vibration in the airframe more than an audible sound, the sub-bass rumble was our way of trying to create a similar effect.

Depending on what you're listening through, it might not be capable of fully reproducing the frequencies or something like that and it ends up masking other parts of the sound. You could use a wav file editor to zero out the waveform for the sound if you want and that'll eliminate any effect from it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Why would you open a ticket ?  Ive told you the only solution!

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Why would you open a ticket ?  Ive told you the only solution!

I haven't got anything that you suggested. It's like I physically lose volume (headphones/speakers/different sound cards etc.)

I am using a dedicated soundcard, very high quality 2.1 speakers and headphones.

Alex

Alex Ridge

I haven't got anything that you suggested. It's like I physically lose volume (headphones/speakers/different sound cards etc.)

I am using a dedicated soundcard, very high quality 2.1 speakers and headphones.

Alex

Mate check your EQ settings, I know exactly what you are experiencing.  The low end freq is clipping.   No need to open a ticket,  best thing to do is open the wav file and play it on your system.

I thought you were a sound guru ;)

Rob Prest

Mate check your EQ settings, I know exactly what you are experiencing.  The low end freq is clipping.   No need to open a ticket,  best thing to do is open the wav file and play it on your system.

I thought you were a sound guru ;)

Hey matey,

I am the sound guri, I promise it's not the EQ, they're all flat.

Alex

Alex Ridge

Hey matey,

I am the sound guri, I promise it's not the EQ, they're all flat.

Alex

Very strange then.  have you tried swapping the wav file? Every time I have seen this problem the wav file is the culprit. The users settings do not like the frequency the rumble was recorded at.  

Anyway, my point is the issue is always on the users end, not an issue with the software itself.   Good luck mate! Am sure the devs will find you a solution. 

Rob Prest

Very strange then.  have you tried swapping the wav file? Every time I have seen this problem the wav file is the culprit. The users settings do not like the frequency the rumble was recorded at.  

Anyway, my point is the issue is always on the users end, not an issue with the software itself.   Good luck mate! Am sure the devs will find you a solution. 

Cheers buddy,

Will continue testing

Alex Ridge