Sign in to follow this  
TheRedBadger

FS2004 Persisting Crashes

Hello again.

I am unsure how to isolate this problem. Simply put, FS2004 has started crashing as of a month ago, and it's really annoying. Before attempting to reinstall all of FS2004, I tried to isolate the problem in these ways:

-Attempted to see if the crash only occurs at certain airports.

-I concluded at one point that DFW landings were a problem, but then I started crashing at other airports, or at cruise altitude, and after taking off from DFW (as opposed to just landings).

-Attempted to see if the crash only occurs with certain aircraft.

-I use SGA's American Super 80. I attempted to see if the problem had to do with the FSSound module (apparently this was a problem for another user at one point), but the simulator still crashed when I used the MD90.

-AI traffic....this is a tough one to test. I'm using WOAI traffic. I flew with over 50 virtual airlines installed for 2 months without a problem.

-Potential problem (untested): Using medium-high-ultra high quality for most features (I can specify if you would like).

I am using a FS2004 disk that I bought in April 2014 (used) which worked in perfect condition until a month ago. I have a Windows 8 computer. Any other tips that could help me isolate what's causing the simulator to crash?

I would firstly run, evaluate and act upon the results given by the following programs:-

ACA2005

ScanAFD

SceneryConfigEditor

DxtFixerX

All of which are available here in the Avsim library.

How much memory does your computer have? Have you tested the memory for integrity recently. Have you applied the 3Gb\4Gb patch?  Is FS9 large address aware?

Is your computer dust free.  Build up of dust can lead to your computer overheating with unpredictable results.

Actually, I figured it out; it appears the quality of the flight simulator was too high (like for the sceneries). Thanks though!

I'm getting fed up with people voting my problems 1/5 stars :mad: . Are they seriously that bad of a question?! They aren't answerable via a FAQ, so...

I'm getting fed up with people voting my problems 1/5 stars :mad: . Are they seriously that bad of a question?! They aren't answerable via a FAQ, so...

It's not you. There's a troll that comes through and does that to all or most fs9 topics most daily. Don't know what we did to deserve such hate, but it's a fact of life in the fs9 forum on avsim!

I suggest trying to reinstall your American Airlines traffic using the latest version available from the WOAI site (Avsim library, really).  There was a bug in a version that was released a year ago, and the latest version fixes it.  Worth a try, anyway.

John G.

The problem has returned again...even with quality settings on default, it crashed today as I was taxiing to the runway...I've been looking forward for some flight simming this week, and this is a great welcome to it... I suppose I can provide the necessary stats.

It's not you. There's a troll that comes through and does that to all or most fs9 topics most daily. Don't know what we did to deserve such hate, but it's a fact of life in the fs9 forum on avsim!

Ahh, well ok then :).

I suggest trying to reinstall your American Airlines traffic using the latest version available from the WOAI site (Avsim library, really).  There was a bug in a version that was released a year ago, and the latest version fixes it.  Worth a try, anyway.

I actually haven't had AI traffic installed for that long, meaning I probably have the newest version. I suspect it's /possibly/ a panel I've been using? Unfortunately, it seems that everytime I think I've isolated the problem, something else appears to be causing the sim to crash when the other factor isn't in play :1.

I would firstly run, evaluate and act upon the results given by the following programs:-

ACA2005

ScanAFD

SceneryConfigEditor

DxtFixerX

All of which are available here in the Avsim library.

How much memory does your computer have? Have you tested the memory for integrity recently. Have you applied the 3Gb\4Gb patch?  Is FS9 large address aware?

Is your computer dust free.  Build up of dust can lead to your computer overheating with unpredictable results.

Hrmm, I'll check those programs out.

All I can say is that I have hundreds of gigabytes left (about 800).

Thanks for the help!

It doesn't appear that duplicate airports is to blame (after running ScanAFD). Are any of those capable of identifying any issues with the flight simulator? Or is there a FlightSim Manager out there that exists to diagnose my flight simulator with a problem (that you would recommend)?

4 gig patch

http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

It will likely fix your problem

Cheers

Romflyer

I did that, and it said it worked (it showed me that picture in the link you sent me), but I clicked something too fast (I don't even know what it was anymore) and it immediately said the app stopped working..should I patch again?

If you ran it and it said it worked then I would suggest you go try out the sim and see if the crashing is cured.......the installation of the patch is very quick, be sure that you ran it on the exe in the fs9 folder......not the shortcut on your desktop

I hope it works for you

Cheers

Romflyer

Any other tips that could help me isolate what's causing the simulator to crash?

Does FS9 give any message when it crashes or does it go to a black screen and simply shut down? Try setting your AI traffic to zero and test. If it is AI related you won't have the crash. If you still get the crash then your problem is most likely scenery or AFCAD related. The utilities Appliance mentioned should help there. If you fail to find anything you might want to check your hardware, for example the graphic card and ram sticks to make sure they are up to par.

If everything works when you shut down the AI then look into what John G. shared. I once had a issue like yours at KDEN. Every time I tried to taxi or flew near the airport the screen would go black and the simulator would shut down. It turned out the the problem was a old AI model that didn't like the texture format I was using - 32 bit and whenever one of those planes ( there were a lot of them ) came into view ( even distant ) I got the shut down. DXt1 fixed the problem in my case. I found this by process of elimanation.

If you are running a 32 bit version of Windows 8 you will also need to make the OS changes necessary for the FS9.exe large address aware patch to work. if you are on a 64 bit version you are okay.

Here is a link that also might be helpful:

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.php#fe

Regards,

Does FS9 give any message when it crashes or does it go to a black screen and simply shut down? Try setting your AI traffic to zero and test. If it is AI related you won't have the crash. If you still get the crash then your problem is most likely scenery or AFCAD related. The utilities Appliance mentioned should help there. If you fail to find anything you might want to check your hardware, for example the graphic card and ram sticks to make sure they are up to par.

If everything works when you shut down the AI then look into what John G. shared. I once had a issue like yours at KDEN. Every time I tried to taxi or flew near the airport the screen would go black and the simulator would shut down. It turned out the the problem was a old AI model that didn't like the texture format I was using - 32 bit and whenever one of those planes ( there were a lot of them ) came into view ( even distant ) I got the shut down. DXt1 fixed the problem in my case. I found this by process of elimanation.

If you are running a 32 bit version of Windows 8 you will also need to make the OS changes necessary for the FS9.exe large address aware patch to work. if you are on a 64 bit version you are okay.

Here is a link that also might be helpful:

http://www.adventure-unlimited.org/faultfinding.php#fe

Regards,

Why hello again! Late response since I haven't had the chance to flight sim, let alone post about it here.

I'm not on my computer at the moment, but I'll tell you what I can.

FS9 basically freezes and says "Microsoft flight simulator 9.0 has stopped working", then it just exits out. I'll check out to see if it has something to do with AI traffic. I will let you know that all traffic is WOAI and all have been installed around last August (there shouldn't be anything old there).

I have the 64bit version.

FS9 basically freezes and says

Make sure you do the following before you think about making FS9.0 large address aware.

The first thing I would recommend is to get FS9.0 updated to version 9.1. That updated fixes quite a few known issues with FS9.0. Some of the issues with the original version do cause crashes like you describe even on fresh installations - pay special attention to the update procedure as it can fail to install its self although that will not do any damage and will notify you if it fails or works. The update is here on AVSIM;

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=flight+simulator+update&CatID=root&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Page=2

The file name is; fs91upd.zip

This would be a good idea even if you were not having problems. If you have any problems or question please feel free to ask. Once you do this let us know if your problem still persists and we will continue from there.

Regards,

Make sure you do the following before you think about making FS9.0 large address aware.

The first thing I would recommend is to get FS9.0 updated to version 9.1. That updated fixes quite a few known issues with FS9.0. Some of the issues with the original version do cause crashes like you describe even on fresh installations - pay special attention to the update procedure as it can fail to install its self although that will not do any damage and will notify you if it fails or works. The update is here on AVSIM;

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=flight+simulator+update&CatID=root&Sort=Added&ScanMode=0&Page=2

The file name is; fs91upd.zip

This would be a good idea even if you were not having problems. If you have any problems or question please feel free to ask. Once you do this let us know if your problem still persists and we will continue from there.

Regards,

Alright, I updated it to 9.1. I did the 4GB patch, so I've stopped crashing less. However, it seems that now the only time the simulator crashes is when I'm at an airport (after taxiing for a bit).

I read through the 9.1 document it opened up, and I would have thought the seasons changing may have been a reason for the simulator to crash, but I'm not so sure now.

However, it seems that now the only time the simulator crashes is when I'm at an airport (after taxiing for a bit).

Try turning all of your AI traffic and try once again. You can look at your Windows 8 event viewer (if it has one) in the Application section, that might give you some information about why FS9 was shutting down. It should name the faulting modules (dlls) and so on. That could be a big hint on where the problem is. Now that you have FS9.1 are you still getting the "Microsoft flight simulator 9.0 has stopped working" message or just a abrupt exit to desktop?

As I recall, there may also be a chance that you might have a setting issue that would be worth looking for. In the FS9.1 GUI settings check to see if you have Render to texture switched on. If it is switch it off and check for results.

Let us know if you can find what error is occurring according to the event viewer.

I would have thought the seasons changing may have been a reason for the simulator to crash, but I'm not so sure now.

That crash occurred when flying from a geographical area with one season to a area with another season, i.e. from S America to N America.

I just quit being lazy and yes of course Windows 8 does have a event viewer. Sorry about that!

Regards,

Sorry, it's been a while!

Try turning all of your AI traffic and try once again. You can look at your Windows 8 event viewer (if it has one) in the Application section, that might give you some information about why FS9 was shutting down. It should name the faulting modules (dlls) and so on. That could be a big hint on where the problem is. Now that you have FS9.1 are you still getting the "Microsoft flight simulator 9.0 has stopped working" message or just a abrupt exit to desktop?

It recently crashed on taxi, and looking at the event viewer, there were about 10 errors happening during the last minute that the sim was working. Here's the event details:

System
    - Provider
      [ Name] ATIeRecord
    - EventID 16388
      [ Qualifiers] 49152
      Level 2       Task 16       Keywords 0x80000000000000     - TimeCreated
      [ SystemTime] 2014-11-08T18:20:35.000000000Z
      EventRecordID 2125323       Channel Application       Computer WINDOWS-V9J53VF       Security
  EventData

I'm playing around with the event viewer, but I can't seem to find any modules to blame for. And actually, this event/error is happening as we speak continuously, so I don't think that's to blame. I'm looking at the Windows Log Application Tab.

It says it stops working, then it just exits out and I can see my desktop.

AI traffic at zero in the past has worked. I do recall a large than usual amount of aircraft leaving the airport as I was simming today (KAUS).

As I recall, there may also be a chance that you might have a setting issue that would be worth looking for. In the FS9.1 GUI settings check to see if you have Render to texture switched on. If it is switch it off and check for results.

Let us know if you can find what error is occurring according to the event viewer.

Hrmm, I'm looking for the FS9.1 gui settings. Can't find the location.