Sign in to follow this  
flyultimate

Appreciation for Nvidia AA Workaround

I have to go back to Brian Riggs for the original posting of the P3D settings. He had a lot of folks tell him in his posts that the settings definitely would NOT work. Odd, I used them after finding them in Brian's posting, and it worked for me.

Additionally, there are so many other folks who have tried Brian's settings, and they have worked exceedingly well for them.

Instead of saying that the settings don't work, look instead at the screenshots. They speak to the matter and verify what Brian has come up with.

Spend more time instead in finding even better ways to make the graphics look better instead of downplaying how great these settings work, regardless of whether or not they are suppose too.

Brian's Nvidia Inspector settings work.

The following four shots were taken today after reverting back to just the "proper" P3D settings, and restoring the Nvidia Inspector settings for comparison.

I am going to stick with the Nvidia Inspector settings!

The First Screenshot - Using just P3D MAX settings:

i0NCQ.jpg

The Next Screenshot - Using MAX P3D settings:

ZwYiW.jpg

The Third Screenshot - Restoring Brian's Nvidia Inspector settings:

BapHb.jpg

The Forth and Final Screenshot - Restoring Brian's Nvidia Inspector settings:

cwAMy.jpg

There is still some aliasing in the Nvidia Inspector screenshots, but I will GLADLY except the final output in comparison to the first two screenshots using just the P3D settings.

These screenshots are proof that Brian was on to something when he came up with and SHARED his settings with us. Personally, I can't thank him enough!

Now, Nvidia Inspector supposedly isn't suppose to work with P3D. I will beg to differ. And, until someone can come up with comparable screenshots using just P3D settings, I for one am going to continue to use Nvidia Inspector. It makes what I do with P3D so much more enjoyable. For some reason, I like looking at the aircraft without all of the jaggies and shimmering all over the place.

instead of downplaying how great these settings work, regardless of whether or not they are suppose too.

No one said any of that here, and it's unfair to suggest that. Please check fom the start of the discussion.

Now, Nvidia Inspector supposedly isn't suppose to work with P3D.

No one suggested that here either.

Spend more time instead in finding even better ways to make the graphics look better

Thank you, that's exactly what I have attempted to do: Just in case you have missed the point arising from the discussion, it's the "Antialiasing - Transparency" setting that does the job on P3D v2 since it uses DX11.

The point arising from that is that SGSSAA is only required with some aircraft models, so we generally set that anyway if we are changing planes.

These are really the only things that confront the P3D user when making AA settings. The link I provided "more about using NI for DX9, DX10, and DX11 here", explains in simple terms why Brian's settings work if anyone's interested. The P3Dv2 setup shown there produces the same AA as Brian's settings with or without the Bioshock compatibility setting, and DX9 AA setting "AA_MODE_METHOD_SUPERSAMPLE_4X_BIAS".

In short: with Brian's settings we can lose the Bioshock setting, and we can lose the "Antialiasing - Mode" setting, and we can lose the "Antialiasing Setting" setting, they do nothing. However if we set 8x Supersampling "Antialiasing - Transparency" rather than Sparse Grid, we can see more detail, as long as the aircraft model is compatible. That's because SGSS is less detailed. When zooming in on parts of the picture with 8x SGSSAA, it shows as slightly blurred compared to 8x SSAA, which is in the drop down list above the Sparse Grid settings.

"Spend more time instead in finding even better ways to make the graphics look better" - agreed!

...Historically speaking, these AA techniques were worked out for Windows GPUs around about the time of Windows 98!

Best regards

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com