Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

P3D 2.4 not letting me complete airliner flights

You also need to keep in mind that FB's KFSO and KLAX were produced before P3D v2.x was released.  LM has dropped support for ASM as it was causing too many issues (this process is used a lot in FSX products) ... if you look at the P3D v2.4 SDK and the BGL compiler and do a binary compare you can see the FSX SDK is NOT the same as the P3D SDK ... there are also differences in what the SDK's output.

So comparing a product (KSFO, KLAX) built for FSX with FSX SDK seems a little unfair to both P3D and the 3rd party devs ... compatible doesn't necessarily mean "designed" for,  Give devs time (like I said KSFO v2 is in the works), it took a long time for devs to move from FS9 to FSX.

Cheers, Rob.

i have the same problem in p3d 2.4, short flights are ok but my long flights i get the OOM message like 50 miles from the airport, i don't know what else to try.

Not usually, the only airport I've disabled is FB's KSFO ... a shame too since it's local for me ... but Orbx NCA, Vector, FS Global Mesh, a good storm or just the usual Fog and FB's KSFO just don't fit in VAS with any complex aircraft.  I'm hoping FB's KSFO V2 will solve that problem and/or provide options to disable airport features.

No harm in disabling any airports you aren't planning to use enroute, but I haven't needed to do it so far (other than FB KSFO).  Oh wait, yes there was one heavy VAS spot where I have four 3rd party airports installed in close vicinity ... CYVR, KORS, CYYJ, CYSE  (along with PNW) ... I did disable the ones I wasn't planning to use in that area.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob I don't know how in the hell you are able to do this. I can't get from Denmark to Norway in the default 737 and I have my settings dialed down a fair bit.

I was really thinking that you have way more computing power than I do, and then I read this post:

Until i read this thread i thought I was the only one that could not complete a flight between klas and ksfo. I have done everything I could in turning down my settings but still no completed flight. I have the usual packages installed, FTX Global, Vector, Global mesh, FSDT KLAX and FB KSFO. I am using P3d weather and NO traffic add ins. I have i7 3750 @ 4.6, Titan gpu, SSD and water cooled system. CS777 and QW146 and the A318-320 drops my system to its knees and i run out memory. In FSX the same flight completes.

Goodness -- if you are running an i7 3750 @ 4.6 and Titan gpu and you still cannot get anywhere, then I don't know how anybody can.

Except there's good ol' Rob chugging away in his CS 777. So there has to be some key variables here.

I can't get from Denmark to Norway in the default 737

There is no "default 737" in P3D V2.x?

I did have someone ask me to record the entire 16 hr flight (uninterrupted, no edits at all) I made because they didn't believe it was possible ... I almost did, but then where would I post a 400+GB video ... not on YouTube that's for sure ... and even if I did find a home for it, who the heck would spend weeks trying to download it?

Anyway, I'm not alone on being able to make long haulers work in P3D V2.x ... I've listed everything I know and do, so beyond that I can't really provide any more info.

I just got JF L1011 Pro Upgrade today (FPS are very good with it at 30 locked) and will probably do a nice long flight with that tonight (the FMC variant).  As far as the CS 777 ... it can be a chunky at the airports 20-27 fps (pending airport complexity keeping in mind I'm taking a huge performance hit running 3840 x 2160 res), but once airborne it's locked at 30 fps and I just LOVE the CS 777 weather radar ... fully functional and reports turbulence (WR+T) with a scary accuracy (yes I have purposely setup flights were I know there will be turbulence ... gotta love Google Earth's weather reporting).

Plenty folks can an do get somewhere in complex aircraft ... it's not just me.

Cheers, Rob.

If nothing else works then just save the flight at TOD and reload it. That is an annoying procedure but it gets you to even the worst airports in terms of VAS.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

There is no "default 737" in P3D V2.x?

Oh yes, I copied it over from FSX, I remember. Or the Estonian Migration Thing did. It works fine in P3D, in any case.

Or does it?

Clearly I need to do more testing in other places with other aircraft. I just assumed the FSX default 737 would be a pretty 'lite' aircraft to test with, as opposed to payware alternatives that I have.

If nothing else works then just save the flight at TOD and reload it. That is an annoying procedure but it gets you to even the worst airports in terms of VAS.

Well, yes, I like to save my flights right before starting an approach, because like having a bunch of approaches all set up and ready to go. Still it would be nice to be able to complete even 1 hour regional connections.

Today I used this scenery configurator utility to group all my addon scenery in the general geographic areas -- like Nordic, UK, Benelux, and so forth. So while I am not disabling literally EVERY LAST airport that I am not flying between, now I am at least disabling the lions share of them. So I implement this and also the 'start from the FXML file' method that Rob has recommended.

This evening I tried the EKCH - EGNM trip again, and I got a little further this time. Saved it and turned it off before the OOM hit, but I could see my VAS approaching 3.8 or thereabouts, so I knew I would not be getting much further. And this was wiered because I taxied away from the gate at 2.75 or so, and as I got down to the end of runway 4L to taxi into position, my VAS had gradually dropped to 2.5 -- evidently moving away from the terminal really makes a difference. Then I took off and it increased back up to 2.7 or 2.8 or so.... and it held there for a while. Changed ATC a few times, and got on my way, but as I started to climb up out of the clouds, I saw my VAS really start to pick up. It jumped right up to 3.6 or so pretty quickly at one point. So there is something going on there - either it is loading a bunch of new weather or loading some new scenery, or both.

It 's a pity that the VAS issue is spoiling the fun for so many people.

P3D is feeling and looking better than FSX but all those nice features come at a cost.

Lowering settings , using 2-3 cloud layers max....

All the features are in P3D so they can be used.

And at their frontpage the screenshot shows a payware airport + Orbx.

Hopefully LM can improve the way VAS is used.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

It jumped right up to 3.6 or so pretty quickly at one point.

Do you cycle through the views a lot? Have you eliminated the tower view from the view cycle? This can be a VAS killer. I only have VC and locked spot in my view cycle and still the best is to stay in the VC all the time and not go to external views.

What I don't understand is what LM did when moving from 2.2 to 2.3/2.4. In 2.2 VAS consumption was much better and I rarely had an OOM. In 2.3/2.4 I have to constantly monitor VAS and turn down a bunch of settings to complete a flight. Really annoying. I'm constantly on the fence to reinstall FSX only for my airliner flight. On the other hand, when I fired up FSX the last time, it looked so shabby compared to Prepar3d v2. Don't think I can go back. And then the constant CTDs... No way. Will stay with Prepar3d v2 even for the tubeliners and hope that LM will improve memory consumption next year...

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

Hi Lee,

I don't have World of AI so I can't comment on it's VAS usage.  It would be helpful if you posted more details about you settings including how much VRAM you video card has.

I've had no trouble doing long haul flights (over 4 hours) from 3rd party to 3rd party airports even with GSX being used at both departure and destination.

Based on limited information, here are some suggestions if you haven't already done this:

1.  Stay with 1024 textures (including any REX textures, Airport Textures, etc.)

2.  For long haul flights I use P3D default clouds.

3.  Setup your starting flight -- pick location, time/date, and aircraft and Save the flight and exit P3D, now double click the saved flight file (.fxml) to launch P3D  (this process will save you a lot of VAS and there is a known bug in the aircraft selection screen where as you pick and look at aircraft even when you don't "load" them they will consume VAS and not release it)

4.  Do NOT use any HD paints with the QW 146

5.  If you're flying over (or close to) any 3rd party airports enroute suggest you disable them in the Scenery library ... not going to seem much from FL300 or so

6.  Check the updates to the A319 ... there have been several updates and the update process involved manual file copies ... hopefully this has changed an a proper patch has been created.  Check with Aerosoft.

7.  If there is anything in your DLL.XML or EXE.XML that you know you aren't using for you flight, disable them ... other 3rd party aircraft often add entries here.

8.  Try to disable WOAI to see if that help - just as a test.  I use UT2 and set AI to about 25%.

9.  If you are using FTX Vector -- you didn't list it, but in case you are using it ... suggest you disable Secondary and Tertiary roads and disable all bridges

Cheers, Rob.

Rob,

Do you also disable ORBX regions as well?  I assume you do.  Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Do you also disable ORBX regions as well?

No regions disabled.  I use FTX Central and pick my region ... I do NOT run "hybrid" mode (unchecked).

Cheers, Rob.

Just finished a flight in the Aerosoft A320 from Flightbeam KDEN to Orbx Jackson Hole with Orbx Central Rockies activated and ASN real weather. No problem with VAS. Free VAS never dropped below 1 Gb. So it's possible... But I guess it helped that the route is quite remote. Still having VAS problems flying in and out of airports close to major cities.

Do you cycle through the views a lot? Have you eliminated the tower view from the view cycle? This can be a VAS killer. I only have VC and locked spot in my view cycle and still the best is to stay in the VC all the time and not go to external views.

No I don't really cycle thru them all that much, I try to stay in VC.

Just for grins, how does one remove Tower view and other views?

For the record... are we sure that Affinity Mask does nothing in 2.4? Or is it really hardware dependant?

For the record... are we sure that Affinity Mask does nothing in 2.4?

By default all cores are used and I would recommend staying with default unless you have specific reasons to do otherwise.  Obviously the more cores one uses the more VAS will be used as more threads are spawned ... but I run 6/12 (HT enabled) and have managed to avoid OOMs.  I'm not saying OOMs can't happen ... I can induce them with the right combination of add-ons and graphics settings.

But like I've said before, if one is really trying to determine if 2.4 is using more memory than 2.2 then go back to a base install (no add-ons - not a single one), record a flight (built-in recorder) in 2.2 and save it (it should play just fine in v2.4).  Now uninstall 2.2 and install base 2.4 (no add-ons), load the flight recorded earlier (in 2.2) in 2.4 and monitor the VAS numbers.  Now compare the differences ... I'd be very surprised if you see any significant difference (I didn't when I was testing) -- significant to me is more than 100MB difference.

Cycling views will consume a lot of VAS also ... I typically use VC and spot or locked spot and sometimes a passenger/cargo window view if available.  I don't use EzDok (I do use TrackIR).

I would NOT recommend using ported default FSX aircraft in P3D ... I have done this and ran into VAS and FPS issues and other strange errors.  I also don't use EMT.

I ran another longish flight last night from KLFI to KSFO ... but loaded up my CS 777 and testing out their new CDU/FMC wireless device connectivity, tossed in some bad weather as I wanted to make sure the CS weather radar was working well (it was).  No OOM (KSFO however was NOT FB's - that was disabled, but Orbx NCA was active and I have removed a few problem BGL from NCA see Orbx forums for that).  Here is the start of that flight with my CDU testing:

-- sorry didn't record the entire flight, also didn't use GSX this time around ... VAS at the end was high about 3.7GB but no OOM.

Cheers, Rob.