Sign in to follow this  
patrico

Any ideas anyone ?

I know. But he said he was using the Parch1 Arrival which means radar vectors after ROBER. I just wanted him to be low enough for GS intercept. And since I suspect a user problem here I did want to further complicate things so I did not instruct him my initial plan of having him create a 10nm final point with a 210kt/2500ft restriction.

I did not look at the 4L approach plate. (I just happened to remember the Parch1 has ROBER) But if you say the initial approach altitude is 1500ft then I would sugest ROBER at 250kt/1500ft.

Got it. Makes more sense now.

Kyle Rodgers

Just want to note a couple of things:

The PMDG 777 gets its nav info, including ILS, from its database (which can of course be regularly updated).

However Patrico did say that he is receiving the localizer, but not the glideslope.

I don't think the frequency at 4L has changed in a long time. It is the same in the stock FSX airport (checked w/ ADE), the original dataset that came with the PMDG 777 a year ago (which I have as a backup), and last month's Airac (#1411) 110.9.

Patrico, I do think it would be a good idea, as Virtuali suggested, to take a stock aircraft w/ ILS capability, and slew it to an approach position just before JFK 4L.  Tune the correct frequency, 110.9 and course, 045, and see if you get both.  Also make sure that the PMDG 777 is autotuning 110.9.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Mike any suggestions on what stock aircraft to use. It needs to be Boeing

Mike any suggestions on what stock aircraft to use. It needs to be Boeing

Any one that has a nav radio and an ILS-capable nav display, which even the C172 has...

Kyle Rodgers

did not think any of then  had, much to your distain Kyle,  I need one with an FMC maybe I will learn to  fly an Airbus  

did not think any of then  had, much to your distain Kyle,  I need one with an FMC maybe I will learn to  fly an Airbus  

haha - you really don't need an FMC at all. None of the default aircraft will have them. Take off. Put it on autopilot. Dial the Nav 1 freq to the ILS to 4L (and set the course if you want to - if you don't, it'll just look weird...no true performance issues other than it's not intuitive to look out when the CRS isn't set).

Kyle Rodgers

did not think any of then had, much to your distain Kyle, I need one with an FMC maybe I will learn to fly an Airbus

Hi, Patrico,

PLEASE don't desert the 777 just yet!  Anyway, an Airbus FMC could easily introduce its own issues.

What we have up to now:

1) It's probably not the scenery -- Virtuali, who I believe is the head guy at FSDT, has checked Version 1 as well as Version 2 of the JFK scenery (posted in this thread and PM exchange).  They have the correct ILS settings and the right frequency for runway 4L.

2) It's probably not the nav data: the original, stock FSX AFCAD has the correct frequency (per ADE).  The original 777 release nav data has the correct frequency.  So does last month's Airac (#1411).  Patrico, you are saying that you are seeing the correct frequency 110.9 (on my PFD it displays as IHIQ.  This is the correct ILS ID per latest approach chart at Flightaware.  I do receive the full ILS/GS in the T7 and did an autoland using it last night). 

So: I think some scenery checks are in order, at Virtuali's suggestion:

Does your JFK scenery have lower priority than some other NYC area scenery, or other scenery that covers the NYC area (in Scenery Library)? 

Is there some other AFCAD file lurking somewhere?  Search "JFK*" using windows explorer to search in: Addon Scenery; Scenery/World/Scenery; and Scenery/Global/Scenery.  You will get some hits from the FSDT folder which will probably be OK. But if you see files w/ "JFK" in them elsewhere, report what you have found.  You are looking for a file ending w/ the "bgl" extension, and probably beginning w/ the letter "A".

If this produces no results, Patrico, would it be possible to post screen shots of the following when you are on approach?

A. the NAV/RAD page of the FMC

B. the PFD & ND display.

C. the approach page of the FMC show runway approach selection.

Also, I still think it would be a good idea to use the C172 (per Kyle and Virtuali) -- just slew it to about 5 miles straight before runway 4L (y key to slew), altitude of @ 1500 ft, tune 110.9 in Nav 1 receiver, set course to 045 (so the ILS indicator won't look weird), and let us know what you see.  Or else take off from 13 right, hang a right to 225, fly out about 8 miles at 1500 ft, turn to 360, make sure the correct frequency is tuned, and let us know.  Once you take off from 13R you can do everything w/ the autopilot.   (If you are not seeing the full ILS in the Cessna, an Airbus will probably also not see it.)

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Hi Guys , thanks to everyone for  your fixes. reason I have not been participating recently is I cannot even fly at the moment  is I suddenly lost all my FSUIPC and EZDOC settings and I am trying  my best to fix it but I will be back. notice a new problem today does anyne  know why my  PMDG777 keeps bouncing upp and down at the gate.

don't worry Mike I will not give up the B777, my experience of Aerosoft to date is awful

Just to let you know Guys I took the default Pacifica 737-800 on a flight from KBOS to KJFK using the default ATC and I landed ok on 4L using the ILS so its not that its me without ATC help

I took the default Pacifica 737-800 on a flight from KBOS to KJFK using the default ATC and I landed ok on 4L using the ILS so its not that

I was fairly sure it wasn't the scenery, and it's not even an AFCAD conflict, because that would have happened on a default airplane too. As I was suspecting, it's likely a problem of the FMC navdata used by the PMDG.

As I was suspecting, it's likely a problem of the FMC navdata used by the PMDG.

How is that possible? The navdata provides the LOC frequency only, as discussed in length in this thread the GS channels are paired with the LOC and do not need to be provided separately. Please provide your reasoning.

Dan Downs KCRP

Please provide your reasoning

The previous post from the OP confirms this: IT DOESN'T happen with a default airplane.

If it happened with a default airplane, it wouldn't be automatically a problem of the JFK scenery, but it could also have been a problem caused by another AFCAD in conflict, which is the only thing that's relates to scenery that might cause problems with ILSs.

But since it's NOT happening with a default airplane, this excludes ANY problem with the scenery, either the airport or another scenery conflict, so it can only by a problem of the airplane.

Now, I cannot say for sure it's a Navdata problem, I can only say that in another case (see my previous post), it WAS a Navigraph problem, so it seems to be the most likely explanation.

Maybe it's not even a "problem", but some kind of simulated failure, or just something that must be done on the PMDG when an ILS has a backcourse frequency, like in this case.

The only thing sure, it's something that is related to the airplane, and it's NOT the scenery, this has been proven more than enough by having tried with a default airplane and having the GS working normally, which is what the OP just said.

I agree it's not the scenery, and I reason that it's not the navdata. Pretty much leaves few things on the table doesn't it. Just sayin'

Dan Downs KCRP

I reason that it's not the navdata. Pretty much leaves few things on the table doesn't it.

If it's not the navdata, then it's something else in the airplane. Not necessarily a bug, but just something different that must be done in case of a backcourse ILS.

I don't believe the 777 can shoot a backcourse LOC (no such thing as a backcourse ILS - if there is, it's non-standard and outside of the US...regardless, no backcourse anything for the 777 as far as I know).

Kyle Rodgers