Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

CVN65 USS Enterprise V2 - amazing upgrade

I may be the only person in the FS9 community who didn't know this but the old Alphasim CVN65 Enterprise nuclear carrier has been radically upgraded.The upgrade is free to licensed owners of the original product. I have used the old version for years and have always thought it was excellent, but in a reinstall today I found out that the Version 2 is way more than just a minor upgrade. It appears to be a completely new model or at the least a radically reworked product that is absolutely outstanding. Check it out - and be ready for some jaw-dropping amazement.

If there is anyone who hasn't yet tried carrier flying in FS9 let me know and I'll post a guide to configuring aircraft and downloading the needed freeware so you can do incredibly realistic catapult launches and arrested landings. Maybe not as adrenaline pumping as the real thing but it definitely will get your pulse racing....

Cheers

Ian

Don't know which version I have, but good to know there are upgrades.

The one I never got configured was CVN-69.

"You must own and have installed the ALPHASIM "Big E" scenery package" says the readme, and I never could find that one.

FSX has that Nimitz model and the new F35. You can do flight operations and land on the Nimitz.

10619941_875664532458498_104489685416825

Kin M.

(Klax)

Yup, and this is not an easy thing for me to say, as I genuinely dislike the sim: FSX nailed carrier ops.

The only time I ever ran that sim and ended up with a smile on my face, was using the pay-and freeware carriers (they move, y'see) and supporting software.

Now back to the FS9 Forum, which this is...

In September of 1964 the nuclear carrier "Enterprise" entered Sydney Harbour for a 3 day visit.  I photographed her from North Head.  At that time Enterprise set new records.  She was the largest vessel to visit and the first using nuclear propulsion.

The following day my family stood in the queue for a couple of hours to board her.  Apart from her huge size I was gobsmacked at the Corsair's, Trackers etc.  It left a lasting impression on my youthful mind.  Strangely I have never felt the urge to attempt carrier ops.  Not even with Jane's Hornet FA-18 sim.  Perhaps its my conceit ... or bravado ... however I just knew in my heart-of-hearts I would 'grease' the landings and that is no challenge. Now, I'm not so sure.   :unsure:

The pilot who can "grease" a carrier landing, RW or even in FS9 has yet to be born. It is usually referred to as a "trap" and more resembles a controlled crash than a "landing." You definitely should try it. (I got to do so in the RW, riding in the back seat of a Gannet while serving an exchange tour on HMS Victorious "back in the day." WOW!) 

There is almost no other experience in FS9 (for me at least) that comes close to the sense of challenge (or impending doom) as you fly that last mile trying to stay exactly on the center line and exactly on the glide slope and exactly on speed and exactly at the correct AOA. And even when you do (more or less) nail it, there's still no absolute guarantee you will snag a wire.

The CVN69 scenery does work without owning the Big E - you just won't have any AI traffic. But I stopped using it as I found the lighting effects were way overdone and made seeing "the ball" almost impossible...

I wish I was able to post some screenshots for you all to see. My daughter was watching over my shoulder just prior to my post on this last night and said "It looks like a movie!" The detail and modeling of the V2 Enterprise really is superb! With REX water and sky and HDE2 clouds it really was a jaw-dropping sight

Cheers

Ian

ps. Now my HUGE challenge is to reinstall the VRS F18 and try to master the systems so I can attempt taking it aboard the carrier. The first time I installed it I couldn't even get the damn thing started and didn't have the patience to read the massive manual that came with it. But now I'm retired I have all the time I need. I just may not have the brain cells but it's worth a try! LOL BTW, if anyone thinks I'm knocking the VRS Superbug that's the last thing I intend. It is an amazing product. I just wish it had an "idiot" mode for people like me who would like to fly it a bit more casually than going through all the real-world procedures it requires...

Of course, working heavily in your favour is that SuperHornet launches are "Pilot Hands-off" and traps essentially too, with ACLS in operation :) 

Now back in the day when US Navy fighter jets had wingsweep...

If there is anyone who hasn't yet tried carrier flying in FS9 let me know and I'll post a guide to configuring aircraft and downloading the needed freeware so you can do incredibly realistic catapult launches and arrested landings. Maybe not as adrenaline pumping as the real thing but it definitely will get your pulse racing....

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian,

I'm very interrested in your guide...

Kr,

Bernard.

Hi Ian,
I'm very interrested in your guide...

Kr,
Bernard.

Me too.  Thanks in advance.

Jason

FAA CPL SEL MEL IR CFI-I MEI AGI

Hi Guys

I will get working on the guide and have it ready by the weekend. It's a matter of choosing the right aircraft and configuring it, downloading 3Wire and installing it (very easy) and then mastering some techniques. I'm very happy to share as I think this really does give a whole new dimension to flying in FS, and IMO the new version of the Enterprise has raised the FS9 experience to a new level of realism...

Cheers

Ian

I looked it up and the model is available here http://www.fspilotshop.com/team-sdb-uss-enterprise-p-3809.html

It seems that Team SBD split up from Alphasim after it turned into Virtavia.

I have the old demo version and have been dancing round this version for ages. Last time I lokked it was still 22.95$, now at 17.95 it is a real bargain for those of us still using FS9 ;) that is.

Regards,

Sascha

Ah! you have answered the question I had.

Thanks for posting that, Sascha!

Embarrassingly, I already have this, it's this one isn't it?

VrAMwK.jpg

It resides under "Team SBT" which is why you won't find it called ALPHA or Virtavia!

I imagine it was called "Big E" as an ALPHASIM product, which means I can commission CVN-69 as well, yippee!