Sign in to follow this  
JSilva

OOM at 3.2GB instead of 4GB

For some reason, I get OOMs at 3.2GB instead of 4GB. I am using Process Explorer for monitoring VAS. I am using Windows 7 SP1 64 bit.

Júnior Silva

Are you sure FSX is saying "Your computer has run out of available memory" ?  I'm wondering if it's some other sort of CTD and not a true OOM...  What does windows event viewer say?  Go to START->Run -> type "eventvwr" (without quotes) and browse to the Windows Logs, Application to see what caused it.  Most recent events are at the top.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

The OOM occurs when a memory allocation request is made and there is no contiguous block of VAS available to fill the request.  Memory fragmentation may (usually does) account for an OOM well short of the 4GB mark as a result...there may still be a significant amount of total free memory, but no contiguous block of free memory large enough to service the request.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Are you sure FSX is saying "Your computer has run out of available memory" ?  I'm wondering if it's some other sort of CTD and not a true OOM...  What does windows event viewer say?  Go to START->Run -> type "eventvwr" (without quotes) and browse to the Windows Logs, Application to see what caused it.  Most recent events are at the top.

It did say "Your computer has run out of available memory". Here is the log.

fsx.exe      
46fadb14      
atidxx32.dll      
535082f8      
c0000005      
000be3a0      
16d0      
01d00cab37a84367      
D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe      
C:\Windows\system32\atidxx32.dll      
34f2fe4e-78bd-11e4-856d-54271ebe4ff2

Júnior Silva

It did say "Your computer has run out of available memory". Here is the log.

The crash or faulting module was caused by your ATI display driver - atidxx32 dll. You might want to try reinstalling it.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

The OOM occurs when a memory allocation request is made and there is no contiguous block of VAS available to fill the request.  Memory fragmentation may (usually does) account for an OOM well short of the 4GB mark as a result...there may still be a significant amount of total free memory, but no contiguous block of free memory large enough to service the request.

Regards

At 3.2GB?  I'd say very rarely....  I'm one who usually gets them especially around orbx areas, and it's typically between 3.8-3.9 when the FSX message comes up.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I'm one who usually gets them especially around orbx areas, and it's typically between 3.8-3.9 when the FSX message comes up.

Wow! I've heard of a couple of others getting that much VAS before a crash but it's pretty rare and an indication you probably have your system tuned up with conservative fsx/display driver settings. My sim is usually crashing around 3.5GB's as I have about 400-500 MB's left when the dinging from FSUIPC begins. I use photoscenery, ASN, PMDG aircraft, and FSDT airports 99.9% of the time so probably why there is a slight difference.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

At 3.2GB?  I'd say very rarely....  I'm one who usually gets them especially around orbx areas, and it's typically between 3.8-3.9 when the FSX message comes up.

I think somewhere in the mid 3 GB range is more normal, but as the OP saw, it *can* happen considerably lower. The module identified in the crash log is not necessarily the cause of the problem--very often, in fact, it is not.  All that means is that the instruction which was at the top of the execution stack when the crash occurred came from within that module's address space.  It's entirely possible to have a problem process with a memory leak or other unhappy behavior cause the issue, but things end up blowing up after calling the video driver or other system process for some routine housekeeping. You have to go through the stack dump to really see what was happening, and often even that doesn't tell a meaningful story.

The OP said he was getting OOMs (plural) at 3.2 GB.  If it's happening repeatedly, and in the same module each time, that might indeed point to a video driver issue.  If it happens repeatedly, but with different faulting modules, could be a lot of things...i.e. unstable overclock, corrupted user or system program or module, or even something as arcane as a bad texture on an AI plane transiting through your bubble.

A clean driver reinstall is easy enough to do...but if the problem keeps occurring, you need to start looking for the commonalities running through the various failures.  Often time they'll surprise you, like the aforementioned bad texture issue that drove me nuts for a good month before I figured out UT2 was generating the same exact traffic each time because my start place and time was coming from my default flight.  It took 3 weeks to notice that if I changed the time just by an hour or two, the problem went away.  And the faults were occurring in G3D.dll, sim1.dll...all over the map.

Good luck

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Okay, about the driver reinstall, I ordered a new GPU a few days ago (which should arrive today). It is an Nvidia GTX 970. If it is the bad textures in AI Aircraft, I can either reinstall FSX (as I'm using default AI Traffic) or disable the AI Traffic. I did have some OOMs with different modules crashing. This is another log but this time is ntdll.dll.

fsx.exe      

46fadb14      

ntdll.dll      

521ea8e7      

c0000374      

000ce753      

50c      

01d01245abf39b72      

D:\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsx.exe      

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll      

0873a4d7-7e4d-11e4-8ed2-10c37b922399

Júnior Silva

My EVGA GTX 970 FTW ACX 2.0 finally arrived. But since I planned to get it at christmas, I won't install it until christmas (in other words, 34 hrs 57 mins at minimum). I think I know what to expect, I uninstall the entire driver (14.4) using the Display Driver Uninstaller (so that no instance of the driver is found), shut the PC down, remove the AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB Sapphire OC Edition and replace it with the GTX 970, turn the PC on, install the most recent driver (that works fine with FSX and Prepar3D v2.4 (and no beta)), and finally download a patch that fixes the HDMI RGB (as I use HDMI (I read that the recent driver, the problem would be fixed but it is a beta and I read that the PAPI Lights might not work on Prepar3D v2.4)).

Júnior Silva

One of the causes for the ntdll.dll faulting module is MyTrafficX v5.4c. One of the AI schedules is believed to be corrupted. The fix is to not use the 2012 or 2013 AI schedule on the developers website but just the schedule that is installed when you install the program (you get more AI with the default). It is believed one of the schedules is calling a flight plan and the aircraft required for the flight plan is not available or cannot be found. Some others have found an object in one of the many AFCAD's installed with MyTrafficX causes the problem too. I have gone back to v5.4b and have seen no problems. Others, have reinstalled 5.4c and not used the AI schedules on-line and have had no problems.

The Exception Code c0000374 indicates Heap Corruption. The AVSIM CTD Guide has guidance regarding Heap Corruption (see Page 7). The CTD Guide also provides known/probable causes for the NTDLL crash in the last section.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

One of the causes for the ntdll.dll faulting module is MyTrafficX v5.4c. One of the AI schedules is believed to be corrupted. The fix is to not use the 2012 or 2013 AI schedule on the developers website but just the schedule that is installed when you install the program (you get more AI with the default). It is believed one of the schedules is calling a flight plan and the aircraft required for the flight plan is not available or cannot be found. Some others have found an object in one of the many AFCAD's installed with MyTrafficX causes the problem too. I have gone back to v5.4b and have seen no problems. Others, have reinstalled 5.4c and not used the AI schedules on-line and have had no problems.

The Exception Code c0000374 indicates Heap Corruption. The AVSIM CTD Guide has guidance regarding Heap Corruption (see Page 7). The CTD Guide also provides known/probable causes for the NTDLL crash in the last section.

Best regards,

I thought I said I use default AI (as in I don't use MyTrafficX). I am certain I already installed the Fix It program at the time. I remember the previous flight, I got a CTD instead of an OOM (and at that time, I get pinging noises). This is the log for that one:

fsx.exe      

46fadb14      

KERNELBASE.dll      

53159a86      

e06d7363      

0000c42d

Júnior Silva

I installed the GTX 970 and the good news is that the graphical glitch on DX10 (with the fixer) ended. However, when I did a flight from OTHH-EGLL using a PMDG 777-300 ER, I got an OOM a few moments after I decended past 10,000ft. This happened 10 minutes ago. Again, it is still at 3.2GB rather than the usual 4GB limit (using both FSUIPC and Process Explorer). Before anyone asks me for a log, I don't think a log was produced (unlike the previous where they did).

Júnior Silva

So an obvious question: Did your himemfix line somehow get removed from your config? That would explain it as it frees up a few hundred megs more for the program to use closer to the 4GB mark

Also for the T7 there is an option for lower  sound files in the operation center that can reduce your memory footprint a little, maybe enough so that you can finish your flights.

t is still at 3.2GB rather than the usual 4GB limit (using both FSUIPC and Process Explorer).

If it is showing 3.2GB in your Process Monitor, it means you only have 800 MB's (approx) left.  For the FSUIPC program, it should be showing you have about 800000KB left and that shouldn't cause an OOM as an OOM usually occurs with between 400 and 500 MB's left and you will hear an audible warning from FSUIPC.  The FSUIPC.log is generated every time you restart fsx and ends when you close fsx.  It is located in the FSX/Modules folder.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM