Sign in to follow this  
Guest jaapverduijn

You all have to see this

It's an archived "Computer Chronicles" show from 1990:http://www.archive.org/details/flightsimula (yes, the link is supposed to look like that).This statement cracked me up :-lol"It's a different world now, we have 386 chips, 33 MHz speed, VGA graphics". Old-timers will enjoy this clip for sure as they take a look at some of the amazing new simulators like Flight Simulator 4 :D

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

OH god...talk about bringing back memories...Thats it folks.no more whining about you only get 20 frames per second...after watching this clip you realise how lucky we are right now.I liked the bit where the guy from Spectrum Holobyte took off in the F16 and crashed it literally just after takeoff. Bet he was abit ummm embarrassed.Anyway thanks for the link Jimmi.Craig

Yeah the framerate...basically only one of the sims (I believe it was called Jet Fighter or something) ran at an acceptable framerate...everything else looked like 2-3 FPS...Gotta love the bit where they fly ATP over Chicago and exclaim how realistic it looks :-lol

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Guest B52Drivr

Hello All, Yeah, boy, have things changed in 10 years. Remember playing Falcon 3 with a 25 Megahertz computer, and that was on 'Turbo'. wow, we were really flying then LOL.I think back to the old Falcon 3 days, and for the times, it really had the options and was pretty cool!Best,clayhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...ers/Dopke01.jpgClayton T. Dopke (Clay)Major, USAF (retired)"Drac"

Guest pez_man

OMG, I remember A10 Tank Killer from Dynamix as it was yesterday!! I was a big Dynamix fan at that time, Red Baron, Tank Killer, Aces over the Pacific (anyone remember that stunning manual to Aces...? We've come a long way in the wrong direction since then..) King of the hill though were of course Microprose.. Two of my all time favourite non flightsim games come to mind, task force 1942 and of course; Red Storm Rising.. Amazing how a couple of dots on a blue background could be so spellbinding!! When it comes to their simulators F15 Strike Eagle was something extra, as was Dogfight.. Does anyone remember that one? Pretty simple as a flight simulator, but with the choice of aircrafts all the way from WW1 up until the present day. Sorry for my incoherent rambling, the nostalgia is just washing over me here!! Must pick out my old Atari 520STE from the closet tomorrow! Tackar s

Guest JimC1702

Hey Fredrik, I still have an "Aces of the Pacific" poster hanging on the wall of my computer room. Along with one for "Falcon 3.0".Jim

Fantastic, thanks Jimmi! Boy that brings back memories. I started out with FS4 on a 286, and I loved it.

Guest davidvoogd

LOL I guess I started late in the game with FS98 when I got my first computer. I did play the original Jetfighter at my cousin's house in the early 90's though.

How do you guys play MPEG 4 files?Media Player really gets on my nerves and doesn't even recognize the file as a media file, and winamp suddenly crashes everytime I try to play it?Thanks,Jeff

Jeff

Commercial | Instrument | Multi-Engine Land

AMD 5600X, RTX3070, 32MB RAM, 2TB SSD

FS4 was the reason I bought my first puter...Up until then, mostI'd seen was my buddies commodore 64, which was mainly just games..Remember all the floppy swapping? :( Didn't interest me much..Then I picked up a free IBM pc jr, which was 8 mhz, I think a mighty 8 colors or so, and basically useless as a doorstop.But....The guy I work with had just bought a 386/16 and was yakking all about it, etc...I asked him if he had ever seen any of the flight sims...He said yea, in fact, he had FS4 on his machine...I *had* to check that out....Drool.....Well...I did, and was instantly addicted. Kept making up excuses to comeover so I could fly his sim...So naturally, I decided I had to have one...I ended up getting a 386/33 dx, with a mighty 85 mb HD, and a 512k video card. 2 whole MB of ram...Man....I was driving a cadillac compared to his 386/16 sx....That was in 92, and been at it since...I remember when fs5 came out, that machine ran it at about 4 fps....I started making scenery in the fs4 days...Some is still on the web...LOL....IE:I made a Hot Springs AR. scenery for fs4...Still around...Also didHouston, and various TX upgrades...That was still before they had add on aircraft...The only add ons were modified fs4 planes...Anyone remember the first true all new add on aircraft? "fs5" Remember the DC-9? :/I think that was the first anyway....I hung out on Joe Lincolns"Linx" BBS in those days...Had no internet in those days...Boy, wasI lucky "linx" was local...:) I would have run up a huge phone billotherwise...I ended up sysoping linx the last 2-3 years before Joefinally shut it down...He still has that 286 and BBS....I still talk to him every now and then...MK

Anyone remember the first true all new add on aircraft? "fs5" Remember the DC-9? :/Actually, thinking about it...I guess we did have add on fs4planes towards the end of fs4...But I forgot how they were made...I'm pretty sure I had a DC-10, etc...I remember the dc-9 was the firstfs5 plane, after a good while with nothing, when fs5 came out...Then flightshop....I remember when I first starting making scenery for fs5...There was*nothing* out there, except a decompiler. I had to decompile existing scenery and fiqure out how they were doing it...Which I did, eventually...At first, even now lame stuff like mountains werepretty exotic in fs5...Same for texture use, and night lighting. Much of my first fs5 stuff was new textures to replace the lamecheckerboard looking stuff they had out...I was also one of the first to use textures as obvious night lighting. At that time they only had the lame orange "road" lights...But then I discovered certain texture colors would light up at night in fs5...Viola! Sparkly night lights...Others had done that, but too weird a colors...I tried to use more mainly whiter shades, to make it more realistic looking...I later made a couple of night light packs for fs2000....But, lately, I've done no scenery...I do more panel and sound stuff these days...I've considered doing a new night lite set for fs2004, as I'm not overly keen on what I have now...I think it could look a lot better...But I'm not using any current add ons for that...Just stock...MK

Guest japangg

Aaahh... I still remember playing Aces Over Europe, Aces of the Pacific, Aces of the Deep (well, not a flight simulator but still a great game) from Dynamix (gotta love those thick manuals), also Fleet Defender, Strike Eagle III, and off course Pacific Air War.Remember back then we have to thinker with our autoexec.bat, config.sys to squeze every bit of performance out of our 386 or 486 machines? :-)japangg

Guest Toni Rauch

....you want nostalgia?Mt first experience with flight simulation was "Psion Flight Simulator", written in Sinclair Basic, and ran on the Sinclair Spectrum 48K - that was even before the old Atari machines appeared!Now I feel old!Toni.