Sign in to follow this  
markosslegend

New GPU - No Frame Rate Increase FSX

Thanks Andy.  I really appreciate the response.  I will have to do some research about systems I can buy within my price range.

Thanks
Mark

Thanks Andy,

I really appreciate the help.  I will have to look at some new gear that is in my price range.

Thanks again

Mark

Thanks Andy,

I really appreciate the help.  I will have to look at some new gear that is in my price range.

Thanks again

Mark

just couldn't believe that upgrading to a modest graphics card from a poor one would make little to no difference in frame rates.

My friend, you should believe it now... LOL

This is likely the one of the best and well documented issues with FSX, and the forums here are full of very technical reviews of this issue.  There are also several websites devoted just to it. I believe that AVSIM Setup Guide also does a good job of addressing it.

There can be one major affect to adding a high-end processor or graphics card, and that is bottlenecking.  The aforementioned posts, guides and websites will speak to this and I recommend that you at least be familiar with it.

For my money, I recommend an i7 processor (4770k or 4790k are my favorites and nice NVIDA card. In fact, you can get a 760 (does a FINE job with FSX) for a pretty good price, and going with a newer card isn't going to get you much.  That's the system I run, and I will shortly be building another to patch together for a home cockpit. Prior to this I ran FSX on several other builds including i7-920, 930 and 960.  The 4770k doesn't even get warm (though mine are water cooled) running FSX with a full cadre of high end addons/scenery and I don't even know what a stutter looks like, and I also run across three monitors and stream every flight. No need to Overclock that system either.

Hopefully this will aid you in your research.

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Autogen and traffic settings are really CPU dependent. With your setup you shouldn't go over 20% or think about the freeware traffic manager if you must have that high of settings. I'd also consider the freeware traffic manager program. It'll let you see lots of traffic around you and cull out the junk you can't see.

Even with an OC I7 the best you can hope for at a heavy airport is 22-25 FPS at higher settings. So you really need to decide if it's worth it

DX10 can help you free up a bit more of the 4 GB VAS limit as it is not directly tied to the 4GB limit as DX9 is but you will need the DX10 fixer to have a good experience with it. I'm sure you get OOM's as a result of your traffic settings...

The bottom line is that the CPU must be able to feed the GPU fast enough , if it can't you get what you have, That is seemingly low GPU usage as the main program thread is already maxed at 100% and can't push instructions to the GPU any faster. Anything beyond 4 physical cores you need to go for highest single threaded CPU performance you can afford.

Thanks Dave and Steve.  I knew FSX takes a large system to run and I'm happy with the setting not turned up all the way, however I thought I might get better than 6fps.

The thing that struck me the most was getting less than 20% GPU usage in FSX.  As I said previously CoD Modern Warfare 3 using upwards of 60%, and Battlefield 4 uses very close to 100% of my GPU.  Now I didn't buy my new GPU exlusively for FSX, I bought it for other games such as the ones I just mentioned and  just assumed that it would make a difference with FSX.  The new GPU made a huge difference to three of my games I have tried since installing it, but nothing to FSX.  If I can get away with a few hundered dollars for a new processor then I will buy one, however if that won't make a noticable difference to FSX I may have to re-think it.  As I said I didn't buy the new GPU for FSX so I didn't research problems with FSX and graphics cards.

I will now, however read up from the suggestions you made and try to find a new processor that will improve my system as well as no costing me an arm and a leg.

Cheers again guys

Mark

For my money, I recommend an i7 processor (4770k or 4790k are my favorites and nice NVIDA card. In fact, you can get a 760 (does a FINE job with FSX) for a pretty good price, and going with a newer card isn't going to get you much.  

I went for this exact setup after doing some research before building a rig for FSX, and its (almost) perfect. Around 20 FPS in really heavy scenarios with PMDG, Active Sky NEXT and mega airports, which is OK. A GTX 780 Ti would probably yield another 3-5 FPS, but in my opinion its not worth it.

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

FSX is old program it's 9 years old it slave driver on the CPU. 4.0 ghz amd CPU will help, but be better off with intel. Less than 10 fps not flying it.