Sign in to follow this  
geedub

Optimum nVidia CP settings P3D 2.4?

I set 8x MSAA in P3D and 8x SSAA in CP or NI.
I followed the tutorial, but the shimmering remained the same.

I provide this link earlier, but I'll show it as an image, SSAA is not the same as SGSSAA.  These are the settings in NI:

f3e7e2de156371714a288be9d1ffc667.jpg

You can even go as high as 8X SGSS AA if you like, but FPS will drop even more.  Using SGSS AA at my 3840 x 2160 res and clouds will drop my system below a usable FPS (meaning I start to get device input lag).

On a side note: SGSS does sometimes cause g3d.dll errors and can reduce overall stability.

Cheers, Rob.

Rob, you'll see that the "Enhance the application setting" and 4xMultisampling doesn't do anything either.

As I mentioned earlier, you can just leave "Antialiasing - mode" and "Antialiasing - setting" to "Application Controlled".

It's only the "Antialiasing - Transparency Supersampling" than has an effect using a SGSSAA setting.

Rob, you'll see that the "Enhance the application setting" and 4xMultisampling doesn't do anything either.

You are correct, it's been a while since I've used NI in P3D.  Key being transparency supersampling.

Cheers, Rob.

ONLY ONE METHOD that works through Nvidia Inspector and that is SPARSE GRID SUPERSAMPLING (SGSSAA).

That's not correct. SGSSAA is only required for "some" aircraft models, as I stated above. Still I always set SGSSAA simply because I'm always changing planes. Make sure you've set up the filtering correctly, that reduces shimmering in the distance, specially on water. And make sure when testing out settings, to change one at a time so you know what's actually being changed if anything.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Well, what can I say ...

After sifting and applying the combined wisdom received in this thread I can report without any exaggeration that I am discovering and truly enjoying P3D 2.4 (also in this case ORBX England, OPUS FSI, and REX 4) for the first time. Its not just the absence of the original serious 'shimmers' that led to my original post, but a vast visual improvement across the board. The smoothness of the sim (plus high 20s to mid 30s, settings below) but the responsiveness to control inputs that I'm now getting. I have the feeling I am really am  'in control' of the aircraft (in this case the C337 Skymaster). OK there is a slight twinkling at the edges of the trees but they are still vastly superior visually to most of the tile textures, right?   

So my thanks again to Rob and Steve, and now Peter. Also to those who kept the thread moving along on this clearly, hugely important topic. I have never got so much out of using (and I hope contributing) to this forum as I have with this question of nvidia settings.   In case it helps then ... 

NI settings: Note: nVidia CP 'Restored' to factory settings. Qu: better to uninstall it?  (1) NI set up with 4xSGSSAA but without 4xMultisampling  (2) NI AA Mode and Settings set to Application Controlled, not Enhanced. (3) Otherwise as per Rob's published settings.    

P3D settings: FXAA ON, MSAA 8. Aniso 4x. Res 1024x1024, Vsync OFF, Unlimited.  Terrain Max/Ultra/2m/15cm. FX full. Scenery: ED/VD/D. Shads: Ultra 0/30k/6k. Int & Ext Vehicle: C&R. Lighting: all 3 ticked. Wx: Vol Fog: yes, Clouds: 100mi / High. Traffic: not installed yet.

I hope the abbreviations make sense and that they help somebody. Sure I may well play a bit with P3D Aniso settings as I have previously been using 8 or 16. Also with res increased to 2048x. But for the moment I'm happy to say my mental volumetric fog has cleared! 

Cheers,

Gareth

That's good to hear. There are still improvements you can make to your settings, these are:

-Set MSAA to 4, that's plenty already and will improve your fps

-Set aniso to 16x, this is easy for any gfx card

-If you've got a beafy gfx card, set your res to 4096

-Vsync on, Triple Buffering on

-If you've got a beafy gfx card, set your res to 4096

FYI, this will lead to OOMs pretty quick if you have add-ons that actually support those texture sizes (aircraft, REX, airports, etc.).

Cheers, Rob.

I would also turn off FXAA as it blurrs the image too much. It's buch better to set your antaliasing correctly.

I would also turn off FXAA as it blurrs the image too much.

Agreed, FXAA is a post process that has an unfortunate side effect, where close together details merge irregularly. I always opt to leave this off as well.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Peter, thanks,  I've set MSAA to 4 and Aniso back to 16x. Also VSync and Triple Buffering to both ON. In the past I saw the fps hit with these ON, without (to me anyway) observable benefits. Always open to be enlightened on this. For example does it make a difference to anything P3d that I use a fast 144Hz, 1ns refresh monitor?

I agree re FXAA. The cinematic effect it produces does over-soften things but of course it served to mask my AA issues. Now I understand the beauty of the SGSSAA setting, though should have grasped this long ago. As you said earlier many are confused about the right mix of video settings.  

I am back at 2048 res but as Rob says, have to watch the VAS. This morning, ORBX EU_ENG, I was safely under 3,6 in the C337 in 70% low cu with 3x Dense in ORBX scenery settings. Obviously it's all a trade-off, there's no one-size-suits-all.

So, I've appreciated your expertise gents. More than pleased with these settings now.  Next time you're on the Costa Blanca you better let me know :)          

Gareth

I use a fast 144Hz, 1ns refresh monitor

Oh you've got one of those, you lucky bstrd  ^_^

Does it have g-sync as well? I'd like to hear reports how g-sync works with our sims, especially P3D that doesn't feature a true full screen mode.

Anyhow, I guess you'll be fine without vsync with that monitor, but I have no experince above 60hz so use what feels best.

(Of course I meant 1ms refresh!)  Not G-sync I'm afraid. Sorely tempted for sure but I read that it only comes into its own at 30 fps and above. Out of choice (settings) I rarely get much above that most of the time. And besides it was more than I really wanted to spend. 

Still, got to tell you this ASUS is one cool monitor. Very easy on the eyes, like looking at a painting. High luminosity though and you have to calibrate the dickens out of it when you first set it up.  

Peter, one more thing to report in the AA battle ... I find a  sparkling effect on the radio antenna wires and certain edges of the fuselage of light a/c parked at ORBX EGHA (Compton Abbas in Hampshire, UK). Digressing for a mo, this used to be one of my favorite haunts before we decided to head for Spain. A lot of club flying and low-level displays with Yaks and the like dropping by for coffee and showing off like crazy on departure. ORB do a very faithful add-on of EGHA. An NDB is all you get on the field but you can do really nice OBS approaches using the Flight1 GTN. Did a nice little sortie today from Lee-On-Solent via a touch-and-go at Popham for a full-stop at Compton in the RealAir Legacy. Good fun. Bar was closed though. Back in the early 60's we'd fly regularly over Lee-On-Solent from our squadron base at Hamble en route to the low-flying area over the western side of the Isle of Wight. We were allowed to get away with almost anything. Ah them were the days. 

Anyway getting back to to the pin-point sparkling effect I mentioned, upping the SGSSAA didn't seem to improve it much. Still, it does seem like a transparency issue? It's no huge deal at all but it did surprise me a bit. Turning ON P3D MSAA all but fixed it but I prefer now not to live with that. Maybe I'm expecting too much :)  Still, any ideas?   

Best regards

I just stumbled across this thread and I wanted to say thanks. You all solved 99% of my graphics issues and a nice little bump in frame rates as well. I still have a tiny but noticeable amount of shimmer on the instrument panel but it's orders of magnitude better than it was before.

Thanks again.

I still get some aliasing issues no matter what SGSS settings used, mostly viewing distant runways and fences.  2xSGSS is about as high as I will go considering the performance hit in clouds is too severe set to 4x or 8x.

Also I know your supposed to match MSAA and SGSS, for example, 2xMSAA and 2xSGSS, but I found 4xMSAA set in P3D with 2xSGSS set in NI gives me a tad bit more anti-aliasing than with 2x set for both. Performance cost is negligible at 2xSGSS on my gtx970 in most scenarios. 

I tried DSR 4x and that is superb, as far as eliminating shimmer, but, the small menus is a total deal breaker for me.

Intel i7 10700K | Asus Maximus XII Hero | Asus TUF RTX 3090 | 32GB HyperX Fury 3200 DDR4 | 1TB Samsung M.2 (W11) | 2TB Samsung M.2 (MSFS2020) | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280mm AIO | 43" Samsung Q90B | 27" Asus Monitor

I provide this link earlier, but I'll show it as an image, SSAA is not the same as SGSSAA. These are the settings in NI:
I just applied these settings/suggestions with the exception of locked frames at 30, unlimited in game. Using latest driver 347.52 and medium high settings my sim has never looked so spectacular nor performed so fluidly. Thanks for sharing this Robb.

James McLees