Sign in to follow this  
ooddoo

Newbie - Autopilot Disengage Help and Descent Help

Hi,

Could you please help me out anyone? I would highly appreciate it!

To disconnect the autopilot, I click the disengage bar and the horn starts to sound, yet when I press the warning sign so it does off and the  Disengage Bar back to normal, the horn still keep on going! What am I doing wrong ?

Also, to initiate a descent, since now I have had to use V/S but to use VNAV do you have to left click the Altitude Knob after selecting the desired altitude? It woks on Climbs but not Descends.

Thanks a lot

Mario

Mario, full names in the PMDG forums please.

Do not use the disengage bar to disconnect the autopilot.  Your questions highlight your lack of the basic knowledge that is contained in the Introduction document and Tutorial #1.  Unless you are experienced B777 pilot, you really should take the time to browse the Introduction and do the Tutorial.

Dan Downs KCRP

Definitely read the intro and tutorial 1, but to disengage the autopilot you have to press CTRL+SHIFT+Z. I think that is default but that's the hotkey that I use, or you can manually click on the black button on the yoke. The same applies to the autothrottle, the proper way to disconnect the autothrottle is CTRL+SHIFT+R, or the black button on the side of the throttle levers, using the autothrottle disengage bar on the MCP will give you a master caution.

And also, don't forget to press the hotkey/button twice when disconnecting or else the master warning sound will continue.

To initiate a descent using VNAV, simply select the lower altitude in the MCP and make sure you are flying on LNAV and VNAV.  The FMA will read [sPD | LNAV | VNAV PTH].  When the aircraft reaches the T/D point on your ND, the throttles will automatically retard.  To start the descent early, depress the altitude knob to override the FMS-selected altitude.  To initiate an open descent, use FL CHG.