Sign in to follow this  
ratata

I'm a tourist again...

Hello guysn'gals!

- When I started this little hobby it was all about how to master your aircraft. Like navigating and finding your way home in a pitch black fog so dense that even a walk on the street would be most hazardous. But recently I discovered what a neat tool FSX is if you want to discover the world. You know, to see marvels you haven't yet seen in real life. And those places you know you will never see in real life. I'm pretty damn sure I will never climb Mount Everest. But yesterday I soared both above and around it pretending I was there for real. It didn't take that much imagination when using 3D-vision, I tell you.

So, this makes me wonder. If I don't care much for dense airports and cool city nightlights, but more for stunning nature all around the world, what addons shall I take a closer look at?

In my hands I have a brand new laptop with 3.5Ghz i7 CPU and nVidias latest GTX M880 with 3D-vision. It runs FSX quite smooth.

I will be happy for any input.

Best regards

ratata

Sweden

This is an easy response....go to the  Return To Misty Moorings site and download every scenery package you find on that pagee. Take your time, and read each installation instruction within each Zip file for that scenery package. The end result, is that you will be able to fly from any airport of your choice in the PNW, and all the other ORBX fat regions of the west coast of North America to towns, hide-aways, vacation retreats...and more!. Spend some time on that site...and it will hand guide you to 'Tourist Perfection". :rolleyes:

I would actually disagree that this is easy to answer; it very much depends on what you want. There are two different approaches to ground scenery: photo-real, or autogen-based. In short, photo-real depicts the ground how it is in reality, but it usually lacks 3D objects. Autogen-based is not precise, but it often can capture the spirit of a landscape better than photo-real sceneries.

As for autogen-based, IMHO the market leader is ORBX. Get FTX Global and Vector with a descent mesh product and the whole FSX world will come to life. Their dedicated regions (e.g., New Zealand) are even more detailed and include a mesh.

As for photo-real sceneries, I have one for Sydney and one for western Germany. The one for Sydney feels like the Google flight simulator. The Aerosoft Western Germany scenery is better because they placed buildings

at the most important locations, but even that is not perfect because huge areas are still simply textures on the ground, and it is always summer.

My own impression is: if you haven't been to a place, then ORBX may get you a better idea of how it generally looks like there. If you have lived somewhere, then it is kind of nice to fly precisely over the road where you lived, but it still isn't much better than Google Earth to me.

Peter

ORBX FTX Norway. Load up a flight at Bronnoysund and go North!

Simmerhead - Making the virtual skies unsafe since 1987! 

Thankyou for your input.

I just decided to give ORBX a try (Norway especially). Well, I wish I could have, when thinking of the cost. "Your estimated download time is '64 days'. If you experience poor download perfomance, don't hesitate contact us at office time."

hmm...I want to fly like ...now? :D