Sign in to follow this  
fwerff

660ti with 2560x1440 resolution

Hello,

I am considering the new Dell Ultrasharp U2515H 25 inch monitor. This monitor sports a nice 2560x1440 resolution which I hope will give me a nice overall sharpness bump from my current 22 inch 1680x1050.

I am wondering if my Evga 660ti 2GB card will be able to handle this resolution without any foreseeable problems.

Anyone able to give me some input on this?

Thanks in advance.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The frame rate will suffer. I've just upgraded from 1200p to 1440p and had FPS drop as expected on a GTX680. I had to lower antialiasing from 4x to 2x to try to keep the frame rate.

X-Plane 64-bit, maximum settings (except AA), on complex scenery (big city): from ~30FPS (1200p, 4xAA) to ~20FPS (1440p, 2xAA). Out of big cities I get 30FPS+ on 1440p.

The frame rate will suffer. I've just upgraded from 1200p to 1440p and had FPS drop as expected on a GTX680. I had to lower antialiasing from 4x to 2x to try to keep the frame rate.

X-Plane 64-bit, maximum settings (except AA), on complex scenery (big city): from ~30FPS (1200p, 4xAA) to ~20FPS (1440p, 2xAA). Out of big cities I get 30FPS+ on 1440p.

What you describe is a ~35% drop in frames. I wonder if that would be indicative for FSX as well, since to my knowledge X-Plane is putting much more strain on the graphicscard compare to FSX.

35% drop would be unacceptable for me, since my current Core i7-920 @4GHz already gives me "just-above-acceptable" framerates at large and heavy airports. 35% drop in fps would result in an unflyable situation.

I have a a GTX 770 4gb and recently upgraded my display from 1080p to 1440p and haven't seen any fps drop - this is with a i7 4770K @ 4.5 ghz.

Bruceb

since my current Core i7-920 @4GHz already gives me "just-above-acceptable"

You are adding 78% more pixels to the workload, expect there to be a performance hit.

You are adding 78% more pixels to the workload, expect there to be a performance hit.

I didn't see any significant improvement when I upgraded from an ATI HD5870 1Gb to my current 660ti. I was kind of hoping for the 660ti to take on the work for those additional pixels, keeping my fps largely the same.

You're saying my CPU will also suffer under the additional pixels?

You are saying that your 7 year old CPU is giving you "just-above-acceptable" performance. Now you want it to increase the view by 78% more pixels. Are you expecting similar performance levels? I wasn't, so when I bought my monitor I built a system to support the higher display levels. Out went the i7 930 and in came an over-clocked 3570 and a nVidia 770. There is a balance to performance and I believe asking that 7 year old CPU and RAM and motherboard to give you satisfactory performance at 2560x1440 is going to be hard to accomplish.