Sign in to follow this  
Mithras

New Flight or Saved Flight - Which are you?

I've recently dabbled with saving my previous flights, in an attempt to get some sort of realism. Of course my A2A planes keep the same state as they were left, and this got me thinking about one or two of the bush planes I fly on short haul routes. My thinking is, that if I save each flight, I save all of the switch and radio settings as well as the fuel state, which means that if I fail to shut down properly or do a thorough checklist on start up, I may well miss some crucial detail, like being too low on fuel or having left the flaps down. These sorts of things happen all the time to real pilots. Obviously I would update the time and weather to suit the current situation.

I know its not exactly Accusim, but I thought I'd give it a try and see how it goes.

Does anybody already fly like this?

That's actually quite a nice idea, never considered using the save feature like that. Normally it's just for covering for fsx crashes.

Hi.

I suppose it's not quite the same in FS9: some detail is lacking and some planes just won't do a cold&dark start, but I have a couple of persistent missions/threads/flights that have been going for years. In them the parked state -- time (sometimes plus a few hours), weather, fuel, switches whose states do persist, payload et c. -- are applied to the beginning of the next leg. It is satisfying to return to a plane that's just as I left it.

I also make a lot of use of Air Hauler. That automatically loads the last known fuel quantity (unless I bought more) along with cargo, location and parking position but switches and dials always seem to have reverted to their defaults.

On the other hand, I think I probably log more hours joyriding with new flights to and from wherever I fancy. That's borne out by the fact that my RTW mission is still incomplete after four years...

D

I did complete a round the world tour, replicating Amy Johnson's London to Australia flight in 1930, where I continually saved for several months of flying! That's where I got the idea, because on the Iraq leg I did indeed forget to top up with fuel and ran dry over the Iraqi desert. I made a good landing, though, and added a day to the flight as a penalty ... ;)

I do the same, I save the flight and I save the panel state in PMDG as well. Makes it feel like you went to FBO for a coffee and came back as everything was how you left it with switches, radios, autopilot, doors and the gate.

You do have to restart the sim because it won't let you do another IFR flight for some reason but I don't have a problem with that as restarting the sim dumps the memory. Sometimes I will restart the PC in between flights as that seems to help with OOM's.

Matthew Kane

I use the save and reload feature for exploring new regions (approaching a different airport each time I reload a specific flight) or for checking out new addon airports (varying approaches and landing runways).

This practice has divided my hangar into two parts: The planes that reload fine (strict SDK type of planes, PMDG and a lot more), and the ones that don't. The latter ones I use considerably less often.

For some planes manual workarounds for saving multiple panel states can be figured out: The Aerosoft Airbus ("2nd edition"), for example, and the QW BAe146/Avroliners.