Sign in to follow this  
cad913

ILS approach

Hi guy's, When doing an ILS approach in the caravan I sometimes notice that the aircraft begins diving several miles from the runway threshold. It is almost like it is following a glideslope as it is usually around a 500ft/min descent but takes place well before the runway. Anyone experiencing this as I can't find much info on the forum/internet.

Thanks

Lee 

Sorry Lee, you'll have to explain more what you mean as descending at 500 ft/min some miles before the runway sounds like a perfectly normal ILS approach to me. :unsure:

SkipperMac

Sorry should have said it descends into the ground seceral miles before the runway. I also noticed last night on an ILS approach into KBFL that the aircraft was attempting to land beyond the runway.

Does the glideslope indicator indicate that you are on the glidepath?

If so, the scenery and the ILS information may not agree..

Bert

Hi Bert, no it indicates below GS or in the case of my overshoot it flew Through the GS and required me to intervene and land manually. It does occasionally fly a perfect ILS approach but it seems hit and miss.

In that case your autopilot is not capturing the ILS glideslope...  make sure you are at the right altitude (approx 2000 feet AGL) and speed, and below the glideslope in ALT hold mode when selecting APR on the autopilot.

Also GPS in NAV/VLOC mode and correct ILS frequency dialed in, and active.. B)

Bert