Sign in to follow this  
Chri

OPTIMIZE_PARTS=1

If I could, I would, but FSX is no longer on my system. If, however, its working in a similar degree it is good to know if I someday grow tired of P3D OOMs and will return to the VAS heaven that is FSX:Steam :ph34r:

Ah, got it.

Well maybe someone else with FSX still installed could give it a try.

Richard Åsberg

In my personal experience, the fps limiter -both in FSX and P3Dv2.5- is only a good thing if you have good fps overhead already. If your frames fluctuate all the way down to the teens in some areas with fps limiter set to unlimited then I would strongly advise not using it. I haven't used it for years and I particularly have no benefits of using it for P3Dv2.5. These are just my personal observations and they are of course tied to my particular PC setup so arguing over this is rather pointless unless everybody has the exact same PC. All I can say is, if you have a lot of FPS overhead, especially in more FPS intensive areas and in bad weather conditions, use it! otherwise steer clear.

I've been using the locked setting in FSX since quite old hardware and enjoyed 15fps for most of the time, even with TIR it was good. But with FSX in fullscreeen, exclusive mode, I could use 1/4 vsync with NI which applies a limiter (if the actual fps presented is close to that frequency, 60 x 1/4 = 15), coupled with a fixed target of 15 in FSX - gave a very smooth result. If I reduced the image quality and other settings, I could run 20 like that, or even 30. We can use 12, 15, 20, and 30, to coincide more regularly with the vsync of a 60Hz monitor even with P3D (I'm using display port and 60Hz).

Coming to P3Dv2 we only have the desktop mode 15fps is unacceptable, but it is metronomic smooth and I can pan accurately and focus on objects. At 20 less "sawtooth" effect and I can still focus accurately on objects. At 30 less saw-toothy still, (requiring 50% more PC throughput b.t.w.), the sim maintains that admirably too on the fps display, but in the data the time between frames has started to vary. At 30 I'm finding micro stutter creeping in because the settings I want to use carry too much overhead. The time between frames starts to vary and I get stutter as frames are repeated while waiting for the next to finish drawing. We want a look ahead frame or two in hand so that can be avoided, but we're running out even though we see 30.1 fps in the SHIFT+Z display. Certainly, if I set 30fps fixed and only see 25, I'm way overdoing the display settings somewhat have no look ahead in hand, but used up valuable sim time, instead I need lower settings for that.

When the time between frames starts to vary, they coincide with the monitor refresh less consistently, this makes the sim look snatchy. With the fixed setting we give up high fps to gain consistent time between frames. 20fps on P3D is acceptable, but it's got to be consistent. If we don't make time in the sim for fixed, by lowering settings, then it just can't work.

Optimisations generally require some more processing up front to provide a better experience overall, including look ahead frames, and optimise parts optimisations.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I'm closing/locking this topic as it is...

1. Getting too long
  2. Getting off topic
  3. OP questions answered

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10