Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

What clouds are you using in P3Dv2.5

Forgot to mention another great thing using REX Soft Clouds vs the HDEv2 package, I was now able to increase both the max upper visibility range as well as the cloud draw distance and still I'm having better performance vs the HDEv2 package. Almost too good to be true!

Here's an example what the cloud coverage looks like and as you can see looking out at 9 o'clock from FL360 the visibility as well as the CDD reaches for as long as you can see into the horizon.

Visibility%20and%20cloud%20draw%20distan

Richard Åsberg

If you resize the HDE clouds to the same size and format as the REX soft clouds there can't possibly be any difference in performance.

I use ASN and Rex soft clouds with 2.5 and am pleased with the result.

+1 here and more than happy with the results..

Pivot

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

If you resize the HDE clouds to the same size and format as the REX soft clouds there can't possibly be any difference in performance.

Just as you say of course when using the same size and format the performance will be the same. However I think what made the considerable performance boost in my case is I got rid of the cirrus cloud textures that come with the HDEv2 package and replaced them with the default P3Dv2 cirrus textures and they are smaller than the cirrus cloud textures in the HDEv2 package.

Another thing affecting the performance is I'm using the DXT5 Soft Cloud textures since I think they looks equally good as the 32bit textures or in fact even better and at the same time they give better performance as well as saving some valuable VAS.

Here's another pic from my last flight ESSA-ENBR and must say I think these clouds look really good!

Freja%20Viking%20Wing%20View%20%284K%29.

Richard Åsberg

Just as you say of course when using the same size and format the performance will be the same. However I think what made the considerable performance boost in my case is I got rid of the cirrus cloud textures that come with the HDEv2 package and replaced them with the default P3Dv2 cirrus textures and they are smaller than the cirrus cloud textures in the HDEv2 package.

Another thing affecting the performance is I'm using the DXT5 Soft Cloud textures since I think they looks equally good as the 32bit textures or in fact even better and at the same time they give better performance as well as saving some valuable VAS.

Here's another pic from my last flight ESSA-ENBR and must say I think these clouds look really good!

Looks very good indeed, Richard!

Did you have a backup folder of the default P3D v2 cirrus textures? I'm also using HDEv2 and Soft Clouds but I found the cirrus clouds of HDE v2 to big and they don't blend very well in with the soft clouds textures. 

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

Rex Essential+Overdrive HD = Low clouds, (Currently, Cumulus Set 66) 1024x1024 DXT5

Sky Day Texture

REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds = High clouds Set 16

Sky Dusk/Dawn Texture

hard1.jpg

hard2.jpg

With Soft Clouds (Same Performance. Prefer REX3 Low Level Clouds)

soft1.jpg

soft2.jpg

Looks very good indeed, Richard!

Did you have a backup folder of the default P3D v2 cirrus textures? I'm also using HDEv2 and Soft Clouds but I found the cirrus clouds of HDE v2 to big and they don't blend very well in with the soft clouds textures.

Yep, I always keep a complete backup of a 100% clean P3DV2.5 installation should I need any original files.

Rex Essential+Overdrive HD = Low clouds, (Currently, Cumulus Set 66) 1024x1024 DXT5

Sky Day Texture

REX4 Texture Direct with Soft Clouds = High clouds Set 16

Sky Dusk/Dawn Texture

hard1.jpg

hard2.jpg

With Soft Clouds (Same Performance. Prefer REX3 Low Level Clouds)

soft1.jpg

soft2.jpg

Very nice shots!

I've found myself sometimes checking out the clouds IRL thinking "Those clouds don't look as good as my clouds in the sim"...that must be a sign you're a true FS nerd :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Very nice shots!

I've found myself sometimes checking out the clouds IRL thinking "Those clouds don't look as good as my clouds in the sim"...that must be a sign you're a true FS nerd

Yep! Took a few pics and videos this spring here and a trip to Arizona half of which were clouds! Trying to recreate 

in the sim!

My wife just laughs!

I know what you mean, not always easy to get other people understand your passion :wink:

Richard Åsberg

Yep, I always keep a complete backup of a 100% clean P3DV2.5 installation should I need any original files.

Very nice shots!

I've found myself sometimes checking out the clouds IRL thinking "Those clouds don't look as good as my clouds in the sim"...that must be a sign you're a true FS nerd :wink:

You wouldn't by any chance be able to upload this file for a scandinavian who forgot to take backup?  :P

38.jpg

Brynjar Mauseth 

You wouldn't by any chance be able to upload this file for a scandinavian who forgot to take backup?  :P

Sure I could do that but not sure if it would be legal to distribute original P3D files?

Don't want any brown envelopes from LM in my mail box :wink:

Richard Åsberg