Sign in to follow this  
Groovin_DC-10

Getting FSX to Look and Run Like FS9

I debated deleting my comment because it doesn't add to the discussion, and might annoy you!

But I have an overdeveloped sense of tidiness, and the thread title made me go: "Ehhh say what?"

I can't think why anyone would want to Get FSX to Look and Run Like FS9.

It makes no sense to me, whatever: just run FS9 then.

The topic perhaps differently titled, might find some use in the FSX forum, if your intention was to show that a geriatric computer can indeed run FSX.

Anyway my intention wasn't abusive, just as mentioned, Good Housekeeping.  

I was just in shock that Floki killed Athelstan. :) I don't even use FS9!
The AVSIM front page system has imported more Philistines in here, than we deserve... :P 

WingZ,

Now that I look at it, yes the thread title is strange and my OP is actually quite long so I don't expect people to read through it all.  It does make more sense to have this in the FSX forum.  I'm assuming those who run FS9 as their main sim and FSX as secondary most likely pop into the FSX forum once in a while.

I may have taken your post too seriously there.  My apologies.

"if your intention was to show that a geriatric computer can indeed run FSX."

Yup, that was purely my intention as well as not having to miss out on the new PMDG stuff. 

Anybody know how to get this moved to the FSX forum?  Do I report my own post and add a message to it or something?

Ok, it should be all good now.  Just reported the post and asked them to move this to the FSX forum.

I'm preparing a flight in FS9 with the QW 757 right now B) .

<snip>

Here's the real test.  On the runway at KSEA with 40% UT2 traffic setting.  Lower traffic settings may be required for KLGA, KJFK, LAX, etc to keep 30fps.

fsx%202015-03-27%2019-28-27-93_zpshifjas

Can I just say, that's really impressive, well done!

I'm serious. Considering your specs, you've got FSX running really well to a point were you're really happy with it.

Some of us guys have spent a small fortune on our hardware and we're still chasing the ever-elusive 'perfect' settings and you've managed it on a lot less. hats off to you!

Neil Andrews.

Fight or Flight - YouTube | Twitter

Can I just say, that's really impressive, well done!

I'm serious. Considering your specs, you've got FSX running really well to a point were you're really happy with it.

Some of us guys have spent a small fortune on our hardware and we're still chasing the ever-elusive 'perfect' settings and you've managed it on a lot less. hats off to you!

Thank you for the kind words, sir.  I just wish I had stumbled upon those settings back when I first got the NGX lol. 

To FSXer's using FTX Global... Can anybody tell me if I'll see an improvement over default FSX textures with my low settings?  I have GEX (not installed), but I was looking at pics of FTX Global and I really like the look.  The thing I don't like about default FSX textures is the way cities look at night.  It looks like entire cities turn into disco clubs every night.  Minor complaint.  I can easily live with it, but if it can be improved upon, why not lol.  Also, is it really true that the night lighting has zero fps impact like Orbx claims?  I'm just looking at global add ons that won't affect fps.

Thanks

I prefer fs9 not because of performance, but because fs9 looks better. More a earthy feel.

I have some of the best add-ons available for any platform, like the Aeroworx King Air and the iFly 737 which I honestly believe is every bit as good - and better - then the pmdg.

So why change for the big increased possibility of ctd's and oom's? Not worth it.

Beauty is certainly subjective I guess. 

I have no idea how anyone can say FS9 "looks better." The 256x256 ground texture limit produces blurry, indistinct results when compared to FSX, especially down low. The water is magnitudes better in FSX as well. 

Water colors are easily changed in either sim.

Thank you for the kind words, sir.  I just wish I had stumbled upon those settings back when I first got the NGX lol. 

To FSXer's using FTX Global... Can anybody tell me if I'll see an improvement over default FSX textures with my low settings?  I have GEX (not installed), but I was looking at pics of FTX Global and I really like the look.  The thing I don't like about default FSX textures is the way cities look at night.  It looks like entire cities turn into disco clubs every night.  Minor complaint.  I can easily live with it, but if it can be improved upon, why not lol.  Also, is it really true that the night lighting has zero fps impact like Orbx claims?  I'm just looking at global add ons that won't affect fps.

Thanks

If fixing the cities at night is important to you, get FTX Global and don't look back. 

And yes, in my experience the lighting has little to no FPS impact. 

If fixing the cities at night is important to you, get FTX Global and don't look back. 

And yes, in my experience the lighting has little to no FPS impact. 

Great to hear.  Will get it on my next pay.  Just realized I can really enjoy this product with the Carenado planes because I can max out my graphics settings when doing simple GA.  I also have Ultimate Terrain X for NA and Europe, so land class should not be a problem.  Thanks.